Dimaggio41.00
Full Of Sincerity41.00
Rising Pacific41.00
Sedaka41.00
Rockburn61.00
Savabourbon61.00
Zaboraci61.00

Talking points

1.  Is it all over, with Sharp N Smart the best performed horse, proven at the distance, proven in all conditions

2.  Dynastic has stepped up to the mark, and who would underestimate Mark Walker

3.  Will they start Prowess, or is it off to the Vinery and ATC Oaks to get Aus G1 wins

4.  Devildom if the north's wet weather continues

5.  Will the unorthodox route Opawa Jack is taking, trip up all the stars

6. Cruz Missile, second fave for a while, but Herbie Dyke run was lousy, 15 lengths away from Sharp N Smart

7.  Mark Twain, last start was impressive, but against nothing

8.  Is there a smokey in the race

12 hours ago, Hesi said:

Talking points

1.  Is it all over, with Sharp N Smart the best performed horse, proven at the distance, proven in all conditions

2.  Dynastic has stepped up to the mark, and who would underestimate Mark Walker

3.  Will they start Prowess, or is it off to the Vinery and ATC Oaks to get Aus G1 wins

4.  Devildom if the north's wet weather continues

5.  Will the unorthodox route Opawa Jack is taking, trip up all the stars

6. Cruz Missile, second fave for a while, but Herbie Dyke run was lousy, 15 lengths away from Sharp N Smart

7.  Mark Twain, last start was impressive, but against nothing

8.  Is there a smokey in the race

How has Sharp n Smart gone against his own age group.?

Bonecrusher Stakes, Vinery, then you would have to say Aus Oaks.

The more cynical might say that they were scared off by Sharp N Smart

Prowess out of Derby

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter
NZ Racing Desk
28 February 2023

Prowess, the second-favourite for Saturday’s Gr.1 Auckland Thoroughbred Racing New Zealand Derby (2400m) at Te Rapa, has been withdrawn from the $1 million classic.

Trainers Roger James and Robert Wellwood weren’t happy with the way she was working in the lead-up to the rich feature and have elected to bypass the race in favour of other Group One targets on either side of the Tasman.

“It is disappointing not having her there, but the horse comes first,” James said.

“I am fortunate that I have had many years of experience of training mile and a half three-year-olds. I have never chosen to withdraw one at this late stage because I felt we were doing the wrong thing, but I did with her.

“We both agreed that she hadn’t worked like a horse should going into a mile and a half race. We know how brilliant she is and we have chosen a different path.

“She will most likely go to the weight-for-age race (Gr.1 Bonecrusher New Zealand Stakes, 2050m) on the Auckland Cup Day and then all going well into the Vinery (Gr.1, 2000m).”

The stable will still be represented in the New Zealand Derby by OTI Racing’s Mark Twain who will now have the services of Warren Kennedy following Prowess’ withdrawal.

The son of Shocking won over 2100m at Hawke’s Bay last start and James has been pleased with his progress ahead of the Derby.

“His work has been the total opposite (of Prowess), it has been really strong. He has gone on since his last run,” he said.

With the withdrawal of Prowess, Sharp ‘N’ Smart is now an overwhelming $1.75 favourite for the Derby, ahead of Desert Lightning ($7), Waitak ($9) and Mark Twain ($12).

Kingsclere Stables will also have the services this week of another consistent filly in Contagious who will line-up in the Gr.2 Little Avondale Stud Lowland Stakes (2100m) at Awapuni on Wednesday.

The daughter of Proisir has been highly consistent in her career to date, winning one and placing in six of her nine starts, including a runner-up result in the Listed Futurity Stakes (1400m) and placed behind Prowess in the Gr.2 David and Karyn Ellis Fillies Classic (2000m) last start.

Her trainers were particularly pleased with her run over 2000m, having previously only run up to 1400m.

“We jumped her from 1300m to 2000m and I thought her run was huge,” James said.

“She has trained on well since, has drawn well (2), and we are pretty happy to have her down there.

“The favourite (Family Ties) commands respect, but behind that I think they are an even lot.”

Contagious is an equal third favourite with Val Di Zoldo with TAB bookmakers at $5.50, behind Family Ties ($3.20) and Pennyweka ($5). 

Well I just hope the best performed horse in the race by a big margin gives them a galloping lesson, so the race can regather some credibility after the series of mediocre horse that have won in the last 5 years.

God forbid Roger James with his R65 winner, that has raced against nothing this season, gets up.  

43 minutes ago, Hesi said:

It's not fair on the punters either.  How can you assess a horse that has not run against any of the other top horses in lead up races

I would say fairness to punters would be the last thing on most trainers' minds.

9 hours ago, Hesi said:

Not knocking him, just thinking out aloud, that the more traditional route to a Derby is running your horse in some of the Guineas lead up races

Why must he follow that path...he is a very good trainer I think I would trust his judgement....not that I am saying he can win but I think Roger has some clue what he is doing.

Edited by RJB
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hesi said:

And following on from that, an industry that does not look after it's customers, who are the punters, is doomed to ultimately fail

I think owners are just as important..if not more...no owners then no horses for the punters to feed on...it cuts both ways.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ngakonui grass said:

WARSAW   by vadamos  who won up to 2400 dam by SUNDAY SILENCE.plenty to like about the bloodlines.Bred to run dist and a lot further.

yes, he's a smokey good EW chance IMO, esp if they run it at a solid tempo

MM

4 hours ago, Hesi said:

It's not fair on the punters either.  How can you assess a horse that has not run against any of the other top horses in lead up races

who ever said that punting is fair?

• Like 1