The Race Place

Noel Taylor Harness Trotting Hall of Fame

Double R

1 hour ago, Double R said:

Why would the Auckland Trotting Club be interested about where, and what was going to happen with the contents of The Hall Of Fame, when they cancelled the lease, which incidentally was prepaid for another three years, and wanted the building vacated.

Hit the nail on the head. 

6 hours ago, Double R said:

Agree Rusty.

Why would the Auckland Trotting Club be interested about where, and what was going to happen with the contents of The Hall Of Fame, when they cancelled the lease, which incidentally was prepaid for another three years, and wanted the building vacated.

Anyway, it was great to play a very small part in ensuring the history of N.Z.Harness Racing is given the chance, in due course, to be on display again, for the future generations to learn, and admire of the history of the past.

Boy , I would be tempted even at my age to go up and help with any plumbing to the new premises. Bound to need loos, as it is going to be an all day visit to see everything. 👍

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Boy , I would be tempted even at my age to go up and help with any plumbing to the new premises. Bound to need loos, as it is going to be an all day visit to see everything. 👍

The old one had a toilet which was disabled friendly.

I think you might need a week Rees, with all the information that is there.

Remember, all the library items have gone to Peter Larkin at Ashburton  Trotting Club, and will be on display there.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/25/2023 at 7:07 AM, Double R said:

I popped into Alexandra Park yesterday, and sadly the Hall of Fame building has been demolished, and only a concrete pad is all that remains.

At least, all the contents were removed, and like a submarine, will surface again, at some stage.

Any news or updates here with Hall of Fame? 

• 1 month later...

Diggers 'desecrate' grave site of champion racehorse Cardigan Bay to make way for car park

Tony Wall13:28, Oct 27 2023
  •  
  •  
  •  
What's left of Cardigan Bay's gravesite in the foreground.
STUFF
What's left of Cardigan Bay's gravesite in the foreground.

Diggers have moved onto the site of Auckland’s Alexandra Park raceway where champion racehorse Cardigan Bay is buried – in what some trotting supporters have called a “desecration”.

The grave site and surrounding land is being turned into a car park.

The headstone, plinth and rose garden that had marked the burial place of New Zealand’s greatest harness racehorse have now been removed.

The NZ Trotting Hall of Fame had wanted Cardigan Bay’s remains exhumed and moved to a new site, but the Auckland Trotting Club (ATC) refused, saying the estate of the former owners did not want the remains exhumed under any circumstances.

ATC president Jamie MacKinnon said the hall of fame building next to the grave site had also been removed and the land was being prepared for “the next stage of its life”, which would be a car park in the interim, and eventually a hotel.

Cardigan Bay's grave featured a plinth and a headstone in rose gardens.
RICKY WILSON/STUFF
Cardigan Bay's grave featured a plinth and a headstone in rose gardens.

The site of the grave had been surveyed, marked and a plaque would be placed over it, MacKinnon said. The club planned to erect a memorial somewhere else on the racecourse “some time in the near future”, but hadn’t decided where.

ADVERTISEMENT

Advertise with Stuff

The headstone and plinth have been placed in storage.

Barry Lichter, a racing journalist and president of the Hall of Fame, said it was a desecration.

“It’s totally disrespecting the greatest racehorse New Zealand has ever seen,” he said.

“Previously, it was marked with a marble headstone and a rose garden and people could go there and pay their respects and now it’s going to be underneath a Toyota Corolla.”

The Hall of Fame had considered taking High Court action to have the horse exhumed but had been advised that would be costly, with no guarantee of success.

Ross Dallimore, a trotting club supporter and civil engineer with experience in dealing with resource consent issues, said he was taking advice on whether the earthworks could be stopped until Cardigan Bay’s remains were “ceremoniously exhumed”.

“To me it’s total desecration - that’s what I’m trying to stop.”

Cardigan Bay's headstone.
RICKY WILSON/STUFF
Cardigan Bay's headstone.

MacKinnon said he doubted there would be anything left to exhume. Cardigan Bay was buried in 1988.

“What are you going to find? It’s probably just dust. It’s not like digging up dinosaur bones.”

But Lichter said archaeological experts had advised it was “highly likely” that horse bones would still be present.

ADVERTISEMENT

Advertise with Stuff

He said more than 700 people had signed a petition to stop the grave being paved over, as it meant a lot to people.

For example, the ashes of one of New Zealand’s most respected racing writers, Ron Bisman, were scattered over Cardigan Bay’s grave in a ceremony attended by a who’s who of racing in 2016.

MacKinnon said a previous board of the club had decided to “maximise the value” of the Epsom land by developing it.

Hollywood actress Jayne Mansfield sneaks Cardigan Bay some carrots in the late 1960s. He was the first harness racing horse to win $1m.

Hollywood actress Jayne Mansfield sneaks Cardigan Bay some carrots in the late 1960s. He was the first harness racing horse to win $1m.

“I guess people will be upset but they have to be realistic... you’ve got to move with the modern times.”

The club is in financial strife, having lost more than $100m in a disastrous apartment development at Alexandra Park, and has been forced to sell chunks of its land to pay off debt.

Cardigan Bay won 29 of 47 races in New Zealand and Australia, before going on to more success in the US.

By the time of his retirement in 1968, he had become the first harness racing horse in the world to win $1m. That year he appeared on the Ed Sullivan show, just before the Beach Boys sang Good Vibrations.

He was immortalised on biscuit tins and became the first horse on a New Zealand postage stamp.

Is this correct?

The NZ Trotting Hall of Fame had wanted Cardigan Bay’s remains exhumed and moved to a new site, but the Auckland Trotting Club (ATC) refused, saying the estate of the former owners did not want the remains exhumed under any circumstances.

4 hours ago, Hesi said:

For example, the ashes of one of New Zealand’s most respected racing writers, Ron Bisman, were scattered over Cardigan Bay’s grave in a ceremony attended by a who’s who of racing in 2016.

And how would Ron Bisman's extended family be feeling?

4 hours ago, Hesi said:

The club planned to erect a memorial somewhere else on the racecourse “some time in the near future”, but hadn’t decided where.

If they can't plan this in advance then it just shows their lack of competence. No wonder the club is in a mess.

3 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

I think Im going to vomit. I feel sick to my stomach over this .I cannot believe a national treasure ,one of the greatest harness horses in history, will be paved over, with a nice plaque and maybe a memorial somewhere else when they get around to it. Mackinnon needs a bullet. 

An outstanding lack of empathy by the club and Mackinnon in particular but we should be not surprised given his previous comments on things and it is at such odds with the way the greats of the past are immortalised in racing for this to happen.

They might as well pave over the whole ATC and be done with the lot of them as far as I am concerned. Not a shred of dignity among them.

• Like 2

MacKinnon seems to be using the below as his justification.  Can any of you harness buffs answer whether this true or not

4 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

I think Im going to vomit. I feel sick to my stomach over this

The fact they can't even show enough respect to one of the greatest horses, and a national treasure, by having a definitive plan for the memorial speaks volumes to their lack of character and dignity, let alone their acumen.

All associated with this disrespectful decision can hang their heads in shame.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/29/2023 at 2:19 PM, Rusty said:

That'll do me. 

I won't be betting on any Auckland TC races ever again. 

Hearing they have lost the following staff, either fired them or they walked in past 6 ish months

Marketing manager

Finance manager

TAB manager

Sports Bar manager

Got to wonder why.

Ex TAB manager is person they owe disbuted unpaid $ & lost tribunal case to & ATC have appealed decision. This is now in public domain. 

Hear they are short staffed too on race days.

Edited by karrotsishere

• 1 month later...

The old stand being demolished to make way for apartments seems to be the last roll of the dice for ATC? I presume they are getting a good amount of money for this land?

And down south, I see Matt Markham suggest on X that Lavros Lodge could be turned into a harness training centre with a bit of subdivision. A good idea if feasible.

The new boss of HRNZ is going to face a lot of decisions in a short time. I think it is make or break time for the harness code.

17 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

The old stand being demolished to make way for apartments seems to be the last roll of the dice for ATC? I presume they are getting a good amount of money for this land?

And down south, I see Matt Markham suggest on X that Lavros Lodge could be turned into a harness training centre with a bit of subdivision. A good idea if feasible.

The new boss of HRNZ is going to face a lot of decisions in a short time. I think it is make or break time for the harness code.

Oh hey Happy yes. I posted on here a while back well last year when I heard via the gossip tables that the $51 million sale went thru Glen Eagle. If you google Glen Eagle it shows pix. Go under property. It shows them. They look amazing! Be an asset to area. Aussie company. Sale went thru last year. Hence ATC can afford the Golden nite ot whatever its called $1 mil nite.

Also heard just today. All things moving forward re HOF. 

I hear Mr B Litcher is doing an amazing job! That he has gone above & beyond. His vision for this is what it should be. 

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2024 at 6:53 PM, karrotsishere said:

Oh hey Happy yes. I posted on here a while back well last year when I heard via the gossip tables that the $51 million sale went thru Glen Eagle. If you google Glen Eagle it shows pix. Go under property. It shows them. They look amazing! Be an asset to area. Aussie company. Sale went thru last year. Hence ATC can afford the Golden nite ot whatever its called $1 mil nite.

Also heard just today. All things moving forward re HOF. 

I hear Mr B Litcher is doing an amazing job! That he has gone above & beyond. His vision for this is what it should be. 

Ok have to update this to get it right. So the $100 million sale for Puke was why they ok to do Golden nite. $50 mil sale is to pay off debt. Sorry I edited some of my last post as wasnt sure I was allowed to say yet re HOF info. But hear its all going well. 

Gosh that land Alex P sits on is so prime from what I hear. Dont quite think racing people really understand or appreciate how prime it is nowadays & how incredibly fortunate Harness racing is to have it! Altho I have no idea how much they own if any anymore. How incredibly sad. 

People Im talking to say they feel like a minority in Auckland now. Immigrants are the majority (if you start getting out of your bubble). Auckland is a very different beast nowadays. Forget the term JAFFA. Its more like pick out the Kiwi. (Of course trotting as is an older generation is kiwis).

• Like 1