The Race Place

Which horse will win champion 3 year old of 22/23

Hesi

Which Horse will get the 2022/23Champion 3 year old award, all are G1 winners in Aus and NZ  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Poll

• Legarto
    • Prowess
    • Sharp 'N' Smart
    • Pennyweka

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/23/2023 at 09:58 AM

1 hour ago, ngakonui grass said:

If only there was a TA horse in the running,the answer would be simple.

But there is not so why feel the need to even mention it...??? Prowess or Legato would be my choices.

3 hours ago, Hesi said:

I can recall a time many moons ago, when some wag elsewhere, lamented whether a NZ horse could ever win a G1 in Aus

With the above 4, I make it 7 in the 22/23 season

Was watching  7  racing channel here in melb, and the commentators were mentioning  how kiwi breeds, were doing so well and expecting  it to continue  

• Like 1

You would have to say the 2 most impressive wins belonged to the same horse, Legarto

Went past them like they were standing still to win by 4 3/4 lengths, with the last 600m a full second faster than any other horse.  Albeit a weak 1000 Guineas field.  Sure Romancing The Moon went on to win the G1 Levin Classic, but Legarto made her look like a hack

Then in the Aus Guineas, against the best Aus 3 year olds, her ability to make up so much ground to win, in the last 100m, was probably the performance by a 3 year old during the season.

• Like 1

Predictions(guesses) for the Spring

Legarto - first 2 legs of the HB Triple Crown, then off to the Cox Plate, maybe a lead up race in Aus

Prowess - similar

Sharp 'N' Smart - CC/MC, with maybe a first up race in the Tarzino

Pennyweka - Livamol, NZ Cup

Livamol Classic is simply too late to hold the best horses in NZ

• Like 1

My prediction is that Sharp N Smart will be the busiest of them all ...our mate Rogie is likely to ask him to be Phar Lap before this Xmas. Great credit should be given to James/Wellwood for recognising (in her trackwork) that it would be wise to avoid testing Prowess over 2400m in Derby and/or Oaks. Legarto is Levante on steroids and looks capable of anything. I dont think she will be suited by the Moonee Valley circuit. The Grp 1 girls' race at Flemington over 1600m looks ready-made for her racing style.

JIm Wallace is very astute - made an early call to give Pennyweka a break after the NZ Oaks and changed his mind after noticing how well she was a few days after ..he knew she hadnt 'peaked'. A possible Caulfield-Melbourne Cup horse, not this year, he says, but in 2024.

Exciting to have so many top-class Kiwi raiders eyeing Aussie riches in the Spring ...no-one is talking up La Crique for the Cox Plate any more.

MM

56 minutes ago, Maximus said:

My prediction is that Sharp N Smart will be the busiest of them all ...our mate Rogie is likely to ask him to be Phar Lap before this Xmas. Great credit should be given to James/Wellwood for recognising (in her trackwork) that it would be wise to avoid testing Prowess over 2400m in Derby and/or Oaks. Legarto is Levante on steroids and looks capable of anything. I dont think she will be suited by the Moonee Valley circuit. The Grp 1 girls' race at Flemington over 1600m looks ready-made for her racing style.

JIm Wallace is very astute - made an early call to give Pennyweka a break after the NZ Oaks and changed his mind after noticing how well she was a few days after ..he knew she hadnt 'peaked'. A possible Caulfield-Melbourne Cup horse, not this year, he says, but in 2024.

Exciting to have so many top-class Kiwi raiders eyeing Aussie riches in the Spring ...no-one is talking up La Crique for the Cox Plate any more.

MM

He also saw Prowess was coming home after the Vinery, which probably influenced his decision........100%