The Race Place

Weigh In Oct 16

Hesi

Very impressed with Cameron Rodger.  Very quick to apologise and explain why the TAB outage happened, and what was being done to address as a permanent fix.  Also very quick to point out that clubs affected would be recompensed.

Also made sure he said that the money from the 10 mil promotion came out of Entain's pockets, not out of racing's.

The Everest promotion probably received a lot more mainstream media interest than Lotto, and I think back to the laughable attempts to take on the NZ Lotteries with Triple Trio, with a life changing offer.

Finally a realisation that the only way to grow racing in NZ is with promotion and with a truckload of money, each year, not just the one off stakes injection that we saw happen so often

Entain must have done their research and see a future for gambling, racing and sport in NZ, that ultimately will give them a good return.  They are no mugs and operate a worldwide wagering company.

With such a proactive and sensible approach, I wonder if anyone from Entain has got on the Northwestern motorway and gone to see the knuckleheads at Avondale. lol

The neurotic nuckleheads out West wouldnt be interested cos they wouldn't know a good deal for long-term survival when it's put under their noses, just like they didnt know it was a good idea to maintain (or replace) their flockin scandalous wreck of a grandstand for the last 30+ years.

MM

8 minutes ago, Maximus said:

The neurotic nuckleheads out West wouldnt be interested cos they wouldn't know a good deal for long-term survival when it's put under their noses, just like they didnt know it was a good idea to maintain (or replace) their flockin scandalous wreck of a grandstand for the last 30+ years.

MM

Night racing killed the club. It was a prosperous, thriving entity before then. I remember Avondale Cup Day being one of the highlights of the season. Up in the Concorde room with a super view of the track. Crying shame really.

1 hour ago, Maximus said:

MM

This is all I could find from July 2022

Newsroom has learned that the owners, the Avondale Jockey Club and their national body NZ Thoroughbred Racing, are already in commercial talks to turn over much of the valuable 30ha property to housing.

NZ Thoroughbred Racing chief executive Bruce Sharrock wouldn't reveal much. "Given what's going on in that part of Auckland, and Auckland in general, it'd be pretty foolish to think it would be anything but housing," he tells Newsroom.

"I would suggest it's an extremely valuable piece of land. There are discussions underway, there is a plan in place, but it is commercially sensitive."