The Race Place

Legarto

Hesi

Encouraging to see the Kelso's supporting NZ racing with Legarto.

Program is a 1400m open at Ellerslie on Jan 14, followed by the Elsdon Park Classic on Karaka night, then the Herbie Dyke before a tilt at the Australian Cup over 2000m.  So that is racing for 1.65 mil in NZ vs 3 mil in Aus.  Getting up there.

Take note Ellis et al, people appreciate seeing the top horses race in NZ

• Like 1

Yes our stakes are very good these days and when you take into account the respective training fees NZ is more than competitive.

P.S. I am well versed in being able to comment as I have horses [shares] in both jurisdictions and have won races in the last three years in NSW, Queensland and Tasmania plus of course NZ. Bloody Victoria has let me down even though the horses have been with Patrick Payne,  Richard Laming and Peter Gelagotis. [Neither of the last two my choice but I couldn't fault Peter] 

• Like 1

Good post thanks, good point you make about the relative training costs

Some huge stake money by NZ standards over the next 3 months.  Your 3 Trentham meetings have 4.2 mil, Karaka night 4.45, Ellerslie 4.2 over the 2 days and Herbie Dyke day 1.8 mil.

Entain know the figures, but you do have to wonder as to what degree the books balance

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Good post thanks, good point you make about the relative training costs

Some huge stake money by NZ standards over the next 3 months.  Your 3 Trentham meetings have 4.2 mil, Karaka night 4.45, Ellerslie 4.2 over the 2 days and Herbie Dyke day 1.8 mil.

Entain know the figures, but you do have to wonder as to what degree the books balance

Hesi, It beggars belief but I say take it while you can. How Entain can balance the books as compared to the previous management of the TAB [even though they were ember-seals] still has me worried. Having said that they certainly know more about wagering to make it pay, than I ever will, except I know that you need turnover and that's not what NZ is known for.

But looking on the positive I can see the next round of NZ Sales being very strong especially after what I think the MM will do.

On another subject if there is anyone out there interested in small share in an Ardrossan [look at his stats] two year old filly, very athletic, now in training here in NZ let me know. She has a quality pedigree and is only $1000.00 for 5% or $2000.00 for 10% all expenses to date paid for. Monthly fees for 5% are about $175.00 maximum or $350.00 for 10%.  [Simply private message me.]

7 minutes ago, Buller Rep said:

Hesi, It beggars belief but I say take it while you can. How Entain can balance the books as compared to the previous management of the TAB [even though they were ember-seals] still has me worried. Having said that they certainly know more about wagering to make it pay, than I ever will, except I know that you need turnover and that's not what NZ is known for.

But looking on the positive I can see the next round of NZ Sales being very strong especially after what I think the MM will do.

On another subject if there is anyone out there interested in small share in an Ardrossan [look at his stats] two year old filly, very athletic, now in training here in NZ let me know. She has a quality pedigree and is only $1000.00 for 5% or $2000.00 for 10% all expenses to date paid for. Monthly fees for 5% are about $175.00 maximum or $350.00 for 10%.  [Simply private message me.]

Entain are investing a lot of money in NZ racing, and probably won't get a return for 3 years, they can afford to ride that out.  Where I come from, that is normal business practice.  NZ racing needed a big injection of cash, which the previous lot did not have, and the government was not going to cough up with again.  I just hope it is being spent wisely, and as I have said before, Entain will be keeping a very close eye on how it is spent.

• Like 1

Talking about a lot of money, and I'm pretty sure in saying this, but in the Racing Act 2020, it was clarified that NZTR owns the land and assets of each racing club.  So there has to be a lot of talking going on behind the scenes about the future of Avondale, how it fits in with racing in NZ etc etc

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 8:40 PM, Hesi said:

Talking about a lot of money, and I'm pretty sure in saying this, but in the Racing Act 2020, it was clarified that NZTR owns the land and assets of each racing club. 

News to me. Where does it say that?

18 minutes ago, Buller Rep said:

I think that it says…..If a racing club ceases to race then the assets go to the racing industry NOT the members. 

Lots of clubs and societies have similar rules that the assets or proceeds from the sale of go to the national body or into a trust.  

12 hours ago, curious said:

News to me. Where does it say that?

I picked on this, when you actually made a comment a few months ago, that the 2020 Racing Act re-write cleared up that ownership rests with NZTR.

I could be wrong in my recollection, but you usually have a good knowledge of such matters, so that is why I deferred to it

26 minutes ago, Hesi said:

I picked on this, when you actually made a comment a few months ago, that the 2020 Racing Act re-write cleared up that ownership rests with NZTR.

I could be wrong in my recollection, but you usually have a good knowledge of such matters, so that is why I deferred to it

It's only on dissolution. They do not own the assets of any active club and can not force dissolution unless the club is no longer racing, whether that be on their own course or elsewhere. The code must also consider apportionment of any surplus funds to reflect any community interest in the assets. The latter, I suspect could turn into lengthy shit fights if not well handled. NZTR can not just take everything and do what they like with it.

24 Transfer of assets on dissolution of club

(1)

This section applies if a racing club is dissolved by any means (including under section 36(3)).

(2)

Subject to section 25, the assets of the racing club remaining after all creditors’ claims on the club have been satisfied vest in the racing code with which the club was registered.

(3)

The code must consider whether any action (for example, a payment) is warranted to recognise the community interest (if any) in any racing venue or venues of the racing club that are vested in the code.

Edited by curious

all well and good if your got a top level horse  paying the bills in nz   but its the programming that people find hard not so much for the top level  but its  the lesser grades that are nightmares if i get anything past maidens in nz  i send it to aus much easier to find races 

as  for trainers there are people that are going to fleece you  in any country 

got horses in   few of the top stables in sydney  melb  n  qld  they all call a spade a spade  if they say it needs a country  trainer  or its slow they gone 

as for entain,   and nz racing  they will never   put money into lower grades  only the higher grades , they need learn  to plan better trying find midweek  1600m maidens were like hens  teeth i know three horses not mine that were sent to aus because that and more will 

Edited by zabeel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2024 at 9:43 AM, zabeel said:

all well and good if your got a top level horse  paying the bills in nz   but its the programming that people find hard not so much for the top level  but its  the lesser grades that are nightmares if i get anything past maidens in nz  i send it to aus much easier to find races 

as  for trainers there are people that are going to fleece you  in any country 

got horses in   few of the top stables in sydney  melb  n  qld  they all call a spade a spade  if they say it needs a country  trainer  or its slow they gone 

as for entain,   and nz racing  they will never   put money into lower grades  only the higher grades , they need learn  to plan better trying find midweek  1600m maidens were like hens  teeth i know three horses not mine that were sent to aus because that and more will 

That's been an issue for ages.  And I'm not at all sure that the Trainers' Assn gets it either.  It's not just stakemoney - or the lack of - that sends horses across the ditch.  It's the woeful programming.

Sorry Pam I am just not getting it

If the Trainers Association took a stand then surely their members would be better off financially. Where is the stumbling block, seems 101 business for mine.

Not getting this at all, seems to me a quick fix provided all at the table willing to embrace change

2 hours ago, Freda said:

That's been an issue for ages.  And I'm not at all sure that the Trainers' Assn gets it either.  It's not just stakemoney - or the lack of - that sends horses across the ditch.  It's the woeful programming.

As you say, a lot of this is historic, and the last thing Entain want, is horses disappearing off to Australia because of the programming here.  Have new approaches been made, now there is a lot more receptive and proactive management in place

• 2 months later...

If Legarto wins the NZ Stakes on Sat, she will pocket a cool $760K, with the $500K from the bonus Summer series.

The only way she can miss out on the bonus, is if One Bold cat wins and she finishes out of the first four