The Race Place

Entain targets

curious

From yesterday's NZTR roadshow. Just scribbled these down but think I have them right.

Yr1 Yr 6 % incr.
Average bet 13.2 13.2 0%
Account customers 280k 380 36%
Bets per customer 545 600 10%
Revenue per active bettor 950 1050 10%

11 minutes ago, curious said:

From yesterday's NZTR roadshow. Just scribbled these down but think I have them right.

Yr1 Yr 6 % incr.
Average bet 13.2 13.2 0%
Account customers 280k 380 36%
Bets per customer 545 600 10%
Revenue per active bettor 950 1050 10%

Did they say - based on doing what exactly? Since that equates to around a revenue increase of 40%. Not sure if that is net or gross.

And I'd be far more interested in the breakdown of NZ racing versus non-NZ to identify where they see this growth coming from.

Edited by mardigras

8 minutes ago, Hesi said:

That would be revenue from active bettors over 6 years, going from 270 mil to 400 mil

Yes, but if racing in NZ is going to be sustainable, surely that rise should be largely coming from NZ racing, not offshore racing. Otherwise the sustainable aspect of NZ racing has nothing to do with NZ racing. It becomes sustainable because of funding from other sources. Brilliant.

I wish my bakery was allowed such largesse. Perhaps we could get the big foreign outlets to be charged a fee that goes to supporting local bakeries. That way, we would be able to keep all our local bakeries going based on the success of the foreign operators. And our local bakeries wouldn't need to be overly concerned with how they ran their business.

The big issue with the current funding model is that NZ Racing has zero accountability around making money (or operating as a functionally sound business). It is gifted what it needs regardless of how it performs.

Edited by mardigras

Be nice of them to break it down more for the year 1 and year 6 revenue, so we can see where they anticipate growth coming from.

Revenue from

NZ tote NZ racing only

NZ FOB NZ racing only

NZ tote Overseas racing

NZ FOB Overseas racing

3 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Be nice of them to break it down more for the year 1 and year 6 revenue, so we can see where they anticipate growth coming from.

Revenue from

NZ tote NZ racing only

NZ FOB NZ racing only

NZ tote Overseas racing

NZ FOB Overseas racing

It would. I doubt we'll see that as I expect Entain are planning on making their money from the places where the sport is growing attraction. They don't care where it comes from as the model has no accountability around that. They just care about making money overall.

So we end up with a model that has no NZ Racing accountability included anywhere.

9 minutes ago, mardigras said:

The big issue with the current funding model is that NZ Racing has zero accountability around making money (or operating as a functionally sound business). It is gifted what it needs regardless of how it performs.

The problem in a nutshell. And a NZ wide problem in a lot of sectors ,no accountability. Duck shoving, bullet dodging, red tape. How "anything" gets done in this  country on time and on budget would be a complete miracle .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mardigras said:

Yes, but if racing in NZ is going to be sustainable, surely that rise should be largely coming from NZ racing, not offshore racing. Otherwise the sustainable aspect of NZ racing has nothing to do with NZ racing. It becomes sustainable because of funding from other sources. Brilliant.

I wish my bakery was allowed such largesse.

Sharrock said they were looking for pots of gold wherever they could find them.

On that note, it sounds like the removal of the class 4 gaming business ain't going to happen and they are confident that legislation will be passed making gambling with overseas providers illegal for NZ residents. Not so clear whether that will include geoblocking or similar.

11 minutes ago, curious said:

On that note, it sounds like the removal of the class 4 gaming business ain't going to happen and they are confident that legislation will be passed making gambling with overseas providers illegal for NZ residents. Not so clear whether that will include geoblocking or similar.

What? Are you saying the TAB will be allowed to retain pokies. What a effing joke.

53 minutes ago, curious said:

Sharrock said they were looking for pots of gold wherever they could find them.

Who wouldn't - knowing full well the money isn't going to come from NZ racing. He's a joke going on about making racing sustainable. Everything is sustainable if you can get whatever other sources you need to keep your business afloat. I could run any business in NZ sustainably on the basis NZ Racing is operating.

Sharrock has zero accountability - just like the rest of NZ Racing.

1 hour ago, mardigras said:

What? Are you saying the TAB will be allowed to retain pokies. What a effing joke.

I'm pretty sure the TAB said they'd remove them and the government said it would be a condition for geoblocking or similar legislation. My memory may be deceiving me but I'm pretty sure Sharrock was indicating that would no longer be the case. Hopefully, someone will correct me if I mistook that.

13 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Surely that is not a decision Sharrock could make

No, I think he was just reporting it. Sounded like it came from the new government and the TAB has gone along, though NZTR no doubt didn't object. Just my take on what I heard though. Might not be gospel. Likely be some kick back though if that is the case.

• Sad 1