The Race Place

Otaki

Hesi

I think it is claimed as one of our better non main centre tracks, so disappointing to see this happening.  Clearly the rail was water affected, but coming so wide on the turn and down the straight.

Who said so many of our tracks don't need an overhaul

https://loveracing.nz/Common/SystemTemplates/Modal/Video.aspx?v=http%3a%2f%2fwww.racingreplays.co.nz%2fmedia%2f202402%2fM4_OTKM_R07_240224.mp4&i=%2fCommon%2fImage.ashx%3fw%3d565%26h%3d314%26a%3d1%26o%3d1%26z%3d1%26bg%3deeeeee%26p%3dhttp%3a%2f%2fwww.racingreplays.co.nz%2fmedia%2f202402%2fM4_OTKM_R07_240224.jpg&r=Race 7 - TRACKSIDE OTAKI-MAORI WFA CLASSIC&rs=1

Curious probably know Otaki better than most.  It seems that with the regular irrigation during the week, water unevenly ends up affecting the inside half of the track, so of course everyone comes wide.  This suggests that there is a slight camber towards the rail on the track, assuming the irrigation is uniform, and that the drainage is not very good?????

The last time I was there was 3 or 4 years ago. mardi was actually there that day too. Haven't looked at the track for years though. When they fixed the drainage system some years earlier they tried to get water to run uphill. It seems that plan still might not be working very well.

I doubt over watering during the week is the issue if as reported 11mls applied Monday, 10mls Tuesday, then 5mls on Wednesday and Thursday. Given the temperatures, that would hardly match the evaporation rate and shouldn't have created runoff to the inside.

Edited by curious
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, curious said:

Haven't looked at the track for years though. When they fixed the drainage system some years earlier they tried to get water to run uphill. It seems that plan still might not be working very well.

Apprentice plumber tried that at the place I got built in the Hawkes Bay - luckily inspection identified it before it became a 'fixture'. It's an interesting concept, one I'm yet to see deliver well.

One of the maxims one is taught when entering the plumbing game (of which I have been)) is that shit flows downhill (yes not up hill,down) , and of course payday is Thursdays. Some still don't know how to use a level or a theodolite for that matter.  My fav quotation goes like this  "Yeterday I cunt even spel plummer, and now I are one"