The Race Place

Wide without cover

curious

I notice the stewards seem to be quite busy reporting this lately. Anyone know why? It doesn't seem to contravene any of the Rules of Racing or incur any penalties. Or are they trying to influence markets for upcoming races?

E.g., from Te Rapa yesterday:

AKOYA PEARL (C Burdan) Raced wide without cover for the majority of the race

IRISH BOY (Y Coonee) Slow to begin.Raced wide without cover.

HEAR MY VOICE (S Collett) Raced wide without cover.

KELLY RENEE (C Grylls) Raced wide without cover for the majority of the race.

BUY ME A ROSE (A Calder) Raced wide without cover for the majority of the race.

WORDSWORTH (J Riddell) Raced three wide without cover throughout.

Edited by curious

34 minutes ago, curious said:

I notice the stewards seem to be quite busy reporting this lately. Anyone know why? It doesn't seem to contravene any of the Rules of Racing or incur any penalties. Or are they trying to influence markets for upcoming races?

E.g., from Te Rapa yesterday:

AKOYA PEARL (C Burdan) Raced wide without cover for the majority of the race

IRISH BOY (Y Coonee) Slow to begin.Raced wide without cover.

HEAR MY VOICE (S Collett) Raced wide without cover.

KELLY RENEE (C Grylls) Raced wide without cover for the majority of the race.

BUY ME A ROSE (A Calder) Raced wide without cover for the majority of the race.

WORDSWORTH (J Riddell) Raced three wide without cover throughout.

Wordsworth won though???

29 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Wordsworth won though???

Yes. Maybe they are implying it was advantaged. Hard to work out. It didn't exactly get a head start. Haven't seen them report something like "rails run with cover throughout" either though. Maybe just trying to manipulate future pricing for the Thomasses as we suggested.

Here's Max's theory: in lower-grade races some horses are clearly superior to others and would win if they were 10 wide without cover. However, the higher quality the opposition the more likely it is that margins will be tighter, especially in sprint races. (You often see four or more in a photofinish over 1200m, not very often over 2000m+ Yes, I know there have bee deadheats in 3200m races; they are the exceptions that prove the rule.) Barrier draws also affect the result more in sprints; trainers scratch horses sometimes just because they "drew too wide" and will wait for another race.

Stewards Reports noting 'wide without cover' is, to me, simply a that - something to be noted when assessing the horse's past and future performances. The fact that Wordsworth WON after racing wide without cover helps me 'rate' the horse and when looking at his career record helps me get a feel for where and how he has been ridden (either by design or circumstance).

A 'reverse' example: the well-backed runner Kaareraway faded after leading from a inside draw last Saturday at Ruakaka. At its prior start it had won most impressively after settling last and looping the field in a midweek R65 at Avondale. Stewards rightly enquired about the form and tactics reversal and jockey Lynsey Satherley said it was "not her intention to lead". What she didn't explain was why she did lead! (Did the horse 'get away' on her?? Couldn't she hold it?)

Here's mardigras theory: the disadvantage of being wide without cover (to a point), is offset due to the freedom and lack of impact to energy from being surrounded by horses or from following a horse. 

And has the added advantage of already travelling faster under it's own steam than those nearer the rail, when maintaining position when entering the straight.

Obviously 10 wide around corners is unlikely to be as beneficial as 3 wide. But I like it when my horse has no horse in front of it and room on at least one side of it.

I prefer 3 wide to a horse in the trail (unless the trail is lengths off the lead).

This comment is ignoring wind which may have an impact - although can be hard to assess who will be affected by that. Flemington down the straight is the only track I consider the wind. Because it channels down the straight and can be quite different on one side of the straight to the other. Even then, you are guessing as to where your horse is going to go.

Edited by mardigras

44 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Here's mardigras theory: the disadvantage of being wide without cover (to a point), is offset due to the freedom and lack of impact to energy from being surrounded by horses or from following a horse. 

And has the added advantage of already travelling faster under it's own steam than those nearer the rail, when maintaining position when entering the straight.

Obviously 10 wide around corners is unlikely to be as beneficial as 3 wide. But I like it when my horse has no horse in front of it and room on at least one side of it.

I prefer 3 wide to a horse in the trail (unless the trail is lengths off the lead).

This comment is ignoring wind which may have an impact - although can be hard to assess who will be affected by that. Flemington down the straight is the only track I consider the wind. Because it channels down the straight and can be quite different on one side of the straight to the other. Even then, you are guessing as to where your horse is going to go.

WHO KNEW!

• Like 1

Bit like the Bowman case. Upsetting the horse's rhythm and breathing is far more costly. The idea of stipes telling Hughie how to ride a race reminds me of them here trying to tell CWJ where he should have positioned a horse. If you are not sitting on the bloody things how could you know? Mistakes will of course be made in those often split second decisions.

Edited by curious