The Race Place

Blair Orange

Happy Sunrise

image.png.c55b984401e5b47bc5ec7cec471c1cf8.png

The best driver in the country who has people punt on his drives just because of who he is and this gets notified after race 1.

Not medical, not traffic, not anything. Matt Cross has avoided any mention from what I have heard. Hasn't talked about the driver changes. 

As I said in the Mot selections thread, it means it is not good. I will eat my hat if it is a justifiable reason because in harness racing nothing bad ever gets explained.

I will bit my tongue at this stage.

• Like 4

Yes if nothing is said straight away then i think from what we have seen with other drivers that are under investigation or whatever,then it's probably not a good thing. BUT just like everyone else we will all just have to wait and see IF something is mentioned and WHEN they decide to say something.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mardy said:

BUT just like everyone else we will all just have to wait and see IF something is mentioned and WHEN they decide to say something.

It will come out in the stipes report soon.

If the talk is true and it is the second time for Blair Orange he can probably expect a bit longer on the sidelines than what he got previously. Twice in 5 years for the same offence is hardly a concerning trend but given the tirade he gave stipes while under the influence last year one will have to wait and see if they tie that to today's events.

This was the penalty last time so it will be a bit more severe.  Double it?

Bob Butt doesn't drive that often so he could be out for awhile longer despite it being his first offence

Penalty
Mr Orange has drives at Roxburgh and Cromwell. He was stood down from driving at Omakau, so he has already served the equivalent of one day’s suspension.

Mr Orange is suspended from the end of racing on 6 January up to and including 14 January (4 days — Oamaru; Nelson (2); Invercargill). He is also fined the sum of $1050.

This is in effect 5 days’ suspension (35 drives) and the fine of $1050 equates to 21 drives. The total is thus 56 drives.

13 hours ago, Turny said:

Sad all round

Is sad the right word? 

Everyone knows the rules and they broke them. Those that hate the system which includes the stipes and the rules of racing can try and defend the both of them but there is no excuse.

I would see this as the system actually working as it stopped a person(s) with alcohol in their blood from taking to the track and possibly preventing an accident.

Absolutely.   If you are part of an industry you need to remember that the industry relies on what you do.. and you'd think that just for one split second you could give your actions and thoughts to that and what the outcome might be.    If anyone ever thinks they are bigger than an industry that provides them with their livelihood.. then they need to reflect and take account of what is really meaningful for them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dancing Show said:

Absolutely.   If you are part of an industry you need to remember that the industry relies on what you do.. and you'd think that just for one split second you could give your actions and thoughts to that and what the outcome might be.    If anyone ever thinks they are bigger than an industry that provides them with their livelihood.. then they need to reflect and take account of what is really meaningful for them.

Very true.

But one could write a book on how fragmented the industry is.

Edited by Happy Sunrise

haha hadn't thought of that as a happy pocket 🙂  but to be honest I'm better on grass 🙂   it's closer to the tbreds 🙂    Cambridge is a lovely track though, can't beat that bar and deck out on to the lawn and track nearby.  Great summer venue for families and kids to run around.    Everyone should put it on their harness track bucket list.     No I'm not Marketing Manager for Cambridge Raceway  .. but perhaps I should be ...  😁 snort 😀

Edited by Dancing Show

• 2 weeks later...

Never fails to surprise me how much information the stipes put in a report which could be deemed private or how they make social judgements which I don't know how they possibly could.

The Summary of Facts record that Mr Orange's two breath tests results were at levels almost twice the prescribed limit. In explanation he said that he had stopped drinking at a social function "at midnight" the previous night.

"He has clearly shown remorse and knows he has let a lot of people down, including himself. He showed a commitment to improve himself and avoid this happening again in the future starting with his attendance at an AA course."

The RIU contended, strongly, that:

"Mr Orange needs to recognise he has an ongoing problem with alcohol .... and needs assistance to commit to a treatment plan. This is for his own welfare and to ensure that he does not put himself and others at risk in the future and that he has professional support that will enable him to return to racing."

Mr Orange maintains his non race day driving work with another licensee so will have some income, and he tells us that he earned $37,000 in December and January. A fine of $1,000 is also required.

On 2/10/2021 at 6:15 PM, Happy Sunrise said:

Blair apologized on the Box Seat through a video off his own bat. Good work on his part in my view.

It appeared to be very genuine too, in my opinion.

Far too often, many people fronting after an event, read from a prepared script and apologize, yet it doesn't come across as very sincere.

Blair sounded like he meant it. I wish him all the best for the future and hopefully he (and others) learns from it and doesn't repeat it again. No winners with this kind of thing. 

I won't comment about the 37k. Other than, I'm off to practice my driving with my horse! 

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2021 at 12:00 PM, Rusty said:

I won't comment about the 37k. Other than, I'm off to practice my driving with my horse! 

Let me know which horse you will be driving this Frid at Adders in the CofC final. I shall make sure to pick something that is well away from interference. Oh, hold on my rules stipulate no correspondence will be entered into, so yr banned . Better give Blair a ring.:classic_tongue:

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...