The Race Place

Predictions on Lockdown in Dawkland

Maximus

The ever-suspicious Mustelid thinks this 3-day lockdown aint gonna end on Wed nite. 

Why would Gummit be talkin' details already about a wage subsidy for businesses losing 30%+ income over 7 days.

Experts of the Wiles kind are in media prattling about 2-10 day incubation periods of the 'highly infectious' strain - so how on earth can a 3-day regional Level 3 lockdown be sufficient especially when it doesn't even extend to Taranaki, where the infectious peeps went.

As for St Cindy having a Monday 4pm press conference (unusual to be added to the 1pm session), that's just POLITICS peeps. Grandstanding. We're told the mighty vaccine is in the country, we're told which airline flew it in and the exact time it hit the tarmac. What a freakin' rort.

MM

Hipkins today (Max's bold and italics)

"Once we identify what course of action to follow, we then need to work out how we operationalise that. Depending on the decision we make, there may be a notice period before that gets implemented.

"[But] really it depends on how confident we are of the information we have and how early we get that information.

"We've been in this position before, where we thought we could make a decision at a particular time then we realised a few more hours and we'd have a few more pieces of the puzzle. So it's all very speculative at this point."

yep all we can do is speculate, cos that's they way this Gummit likes it. Keep us waiting; keep us guessing. Who really believes a three-day Level 3 lockdown is going to knock a potentially virulent outbreak for six? Is the TAB offering odds of an extension?

They should've just made it a week from the outset, reviewed on Thurs/Fri with a view to Level 1 or 2 from Monday.

Just a Mustelidian opinion.

MM

I was talking to my future daughter in law about this as we watched

We both agreed, that most of the skill with Ardern, Bloomfield and Hipkins, is the very skillful art of communication and getting the majority of the populace to go along with the measures.  As opposed to what was almost totally lacking in the US and UK.

That skill seems to have been totally underestimated, by the various know it all experts around the place.  Thank God they don't run the country

Bloomfield never misses a beat

2 minutes ago, Hesi said:

We both agreed, that most of the skill with Ardern, Bloomfield and Hipkins, is the very skillful art of communication and getting the majority of the populace to go along with the measures.  As opposed to what was almost totally lacking in the US and UK.

That skill seems to have been totally underestimated, by the various know it all experts around the place.  Thank God they don't run the country

They're extremely skilled at manipulating gullible people.

49 minutes ago, Hesi said:

He missed plenty early, intoning that the risk was ' very, very low '  while Simon Bridges was leaping about demanding border closure weeks earlier.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Aren't you mean't to be on holiday, rain has cleared, days of nice sunny skies ahead, get yourself and that good lady of yours done to that iconic pub for a jug

Already done that. Crap weather last 3 days but nice now.

Oh look my glass is almost empty.

20210216_173919.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hesi said:

That's rubbish if the lockdown continues beyond 3 days without any further positives.

If they put up a plan to lockdown for 3 days knowing that they would lockdown longer irrespective of what happened in those 3 days, that means they are treating people like idiots.

Eventually even the gullible will react and become less compliant. 

Politicians in NZ are all the same - it's why they not worth worrying about except for the two days prior to an election.

Edited by mardigras
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hesi said:

Somewhere in Northland also?

Pete is worried that we won't be allowed back into the Auckland region, he doesn't have the necessary paperwork to get through the road blocks that Hone has set up at Wellsford

Can't be anything wrong with being prohibited from getting into Auckland - surely!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Yep fine by me, Auckland actually becomes quite a nice place to get around when all the people bugger off to their holiday homes

I find it amazing Auckland rates so highly in lifestyle rankings. But as to things like getting around/things to do/costs - it's appalling. Much bigger cities offer more to do, cheaper, easier to get around and cheaper to live in. It's crazy. 

When I returned from Oz to live here, it was the first place I had on my list of wouldn't go to. Melbourne at 4 times the population is massively easier to travel around, cheaper and has massively more going on (imo). The only reason I would go near Auckland would be on a need for employment basis. However I suspect many that live in Auckland do so because they know no different, or because of work opportunity.

Both of which can be overcome for many.

Auckland is like NZ racing. Piss poor infrastructure and insufficient willingness to fix it. 

To remodel your statement Hesi, "NZ outside Auckland, is actually a great place to live when so many people choose to live in Auckland"

I've spent time in PNG. If the choice was live in Auckland or PNG, I'd choose PNG (even with all the massive corruption). You might think I've hardly spent time in Auckland. I have two brothers that live there and I'm there frequently. But basically, it's a pretty shit place for NZ's largest city. And the more they think it's great, the better it is for the rest.

(Sorry to Aucklanders - but that's my view - feel free to espouse what makes Auckland any good)

Edited by mardigras
  • Like 1

Best of both worlds for me

The serenity of the country, north west of Auckland, no traffic, yet access is not a big deal, just an hours drive, non-peak, when I have to visit to earn a living.

You are right, Auckland is a shit hole, traffic everywhere, rude people everywhere, people climbing over each other to make a buck.  Drive down ANY street in Auckland and there are multiple multi storey developments, blighting the landscape

Can't understand why property has gone off the Richter scale, it has almost zero appeal and character, compared with cities like Melbourne, Sydney and London

12 hours ago, Hesi said:

Bloomfield never misses a beat ...

Really? Closed the borders two weeks too late to avoid the first wave; allowed the cruise ship in (Hawkes Bay, from memory); didn't make masks mandatory on public transport; hasn't reduced the volume of returnees from the UK / S.Af / USA; 

its not all his fault...but the buck stops with him.

He's a civil servant.  A pen-pusher.  Certainly seems a decent enough bloke - but, shouldn't 'guidance' come from Ministers or their minions?     He can't make law changes, they has to come from the Beehive.

And where is the - any - operational plan, that after the first lockdown [ which I didn't have a problem with ]  could have been put out there for dissection? 

How about diverting all the busy builders from their Kiwibuild   [ 🤣 ]  targets and getting them onto some dedicated quarantine facilities?    Even if this particular lurgy goes away [ unlikely ] there will be others.    

How about stopping so many returnees from using us as a means to an end and clogging up what facilities we have?   which, being hotels in the main, are hardly purpose built. 

Ardern is undoubtedly empathic, and a skillful communicator indeed.   Reportedly a very nice person.  Fine.  But, how about something actually happens to go with all the rhetoric?

6 hours ago, Hesi said:

Best of both worlds for me

The serenity of the country, north west of Auckland, no traffic, yet access is not a big deal, just an hours drive, non-peak, when I have to visit to earn a living.

You are right, Auckland is a shit hole, traffic everywhere, rude people everywhere, people climbing over each other to make a buck.  Drive down ANY street in Auckland and there are multiple multi storey developments, blighting the landscape

Can't understand why property has gone off the Richter scale, it has almost zero appeal and character, compared with cities like Melbourne, Sydney and London

Auckland will always be in demand as the biggest city and a huge entry/exit point to the country. With a key part in the employment sector, house prices will rise unless supply can start to exceed demand (or at least start to match it). That's what happened in places like Melbourne with apartments. Supply exceeded demand and I understand apartment prices in Melbourne have been dropping for a while now.

Property owners don't necessarily want supply to exceed demand, but in order for house prices to level off, I'd expect the ratio has to become more even.

I'm not convinced the government truly wants that to happen anyway.

3 hours ago, Maximus said:

Bloomfield never misses a beat ...

Really? Closed the borders two weeks too late to avoid the first wave; allowed the cruise ship in (Hawkes Bay, from memory); didn't make masks mandatory on public transport; hasn't reduced the volume of returnees from the UK / S.Af / USA; 

its not all his fault...but the buck stops with him.

The original comment was in reference to his ability to communicate

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

The original comment was in reference to his ability to communicate

oh i beg your pudding, good sir ...on that aspect we agree ...in fact, someone should encourage him to become a politician

Edited by Maximus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it looks like certain people in certain parts of Dawkland are slow learners whenn it comes to self-isolation, but really the Ministry of Health is also failing again ...

The Ministry of Health says it took several steps to try and inform the family about the need to self-isolate, but it couldn’t reach them. 

A spokesperson says they phoned "several times" on two different phone numbers and followed up with three text messages. The Auckland Regional Public Health System (ARPHS) also sent a letter to the family, as well as via email and Facebook. 

so they knew the family's PHYSICAL address ad phone number, BUT DIDNT MAKE THE EFFORT TO GO TO THE HOUSE WHEN THE OTHER METHODS FAILED

Bloody Nora!

Another Dawkland lockdown getting more likely by the day...

Edited by Maximus