The Race Place

NZ Cup and Crowds

Happy Sunrise

On 10/5/2021 at 6:05 PM, Happy Sunrise said:

So, it is no hope with the current levels but why don't the government allow a Cup Day crowd in the South Island if the attendees are vaccinated?

Why not bring their idea for concerts forward in an island which has no covid.

Cut that out Happy, you're talking common sense. 

There is Buckley's chance of a decent Cup Day crowd at Addington this year. Next year isn't looking all that great either. Oh hang on, when is the next election? 

• Haha 1

why hasnt this useless Govt had rules in place for months allowing travel to and from the South Island only for double-vaccinated citizens with proof of a negative Covid test (Rapid Antigen Test) in the previous 24hrs?

S Is should have been ring-fenced moons ago.

• Like 1

Logistics of doing it and doing it well.  We have seen the lengths people will go to, to circumvent the rules

A vaccination passport that can't be misused is not an easy ask

The various government departments have not been very proactive in using the private sector for ideas.  The MIQ system has been a great example of that 

10 hours ago, Hesi said:

Logistics of doing it and doing it well.  We have seen the lengths people will go to, to circumvent the rules

A vaccination passport that can't be misused is not an easy ask

The various government departments have not been very proactive in using the private sector for ideas.  The MIQ system has been a great example of that 

Amazingly, everyone seems to be able to get a unique Drivers Licence and a unique Passport and we have currency that is very hard to 'counterfeit'.

• This govt allows a CBD Hotel to be contracted as an MIQ facility hat has a public thoroughfare intersecting an open exercise area for people in managed isolation. That is how this Delta outbreak started, not people 'rorting' a system or gangs and anti-vaxers. Just the absolute incompetence of allowing Crowne Plaza to be an MIQ facility. 
  • 500 (only) ICU beds in the nation and the slowest vaccination rollout in the OECD. Absolute incompetence. 
  • Flagrant law breakers during lockdown not arrested/charged. Absolute incompetence.
  • 60bn borrowed (and prob already spent) but a net loss of skilled medical staff and no new infrastructure.
  • A lottery for citizens to return home. Absolute incompetence
  • No dedicated MIQ facility being planned or built. Absolute incompetence.

I hope Max is making his-self very clear here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Amazingly, everyone seems to be able to get a unique Drivers Licence and a unique Passport and we have currency that is very hard to 'counterfeit'.

• This govt allows a CBD Hotel to be contracted as an MIQ facility hat has a public thoroughfare intersecting an open exercise area for people in managed isolation. That is how this Delta outbreak started, not people 'rorting' a system or gangs and anti-vaxers. Just the absolute incompetence of allowing Crowne Plaza to be an MIQ facility. 
  • 500 (only) ICU beds in the nation and the slowest vaccination rollout in the OECD. Absolute incompetence. 
  • Flagrant law breakers during lockdown not arrested/charged. Absolute incompetence.
  • 60bn borrowed (and prob already spent) but a net loss of skilled medical staff and no new infrastructure.
  • A lottery for citizens to return home. Absolute incompetence
  • No dedicated MIQ facility being planned or built. Absolute incompetence.

I hope Max is making his-self very clear here.

The infrastructure, such as databases for Passports and Driver's Licences it already set up, much the same the technology for printing money

17 hours ago, Maximus said:

S Is should have been ring-fenced moons ago.

If you mean a lockdown from the NI, would that have solved anything? I was down in the SI for 10 days recently - every place I stayed at said that well in excess of 70% of their business came from Auckland and even more from the entire NI.

Being vaccinated wouldn't be enough to prevent virus transmission.

it's not about preventing transmission completely its about allowing the regional economies within the S Is to function at a decent level without lockdown at 3  or 4. Take all available precautions eg Rapid antigen Testing  negative result before travelling across Cook Strait; sanitising; social distancing and mask wearing when indoors to MINIMISE potential transmission...while vaccination rates rise quickly esp in the North Island and especially in communities with high density populations.

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I don't think the public will be at the races for a very long time. The West Coast Xmas circuit, Nelson and Blenheim are on the knife edge too even at this stage I reckon.

Sadly, I think you are on the money here.

The West Coast gallops circuit is my favourite time in the entire racing calendar. Kumara, Reefton, Omoto. If these meetings are hit on the head, I will be "displeased" for a very, very long time. 

14 minutes ago, Rusty said:

The West Coast gallops circuit is my favourite time in the entire racing calendar. Kumara, Reefton, Omoto. If these meetings are hit on the head, I will be "displeased" for a very, very long time. 

Chances of a crowd? 10%

Chances of running at these courses without a crowd? 0%

As for the harness meeting on the coast, they may have to move these to the grass at Rangiora and have them without a crowd. If it is Rangiora, it will give the West Coast and Marlborough trainers the least distance to travel. Not very ideal but what else does one do?

Before long, we will be having 2 meetings a week at Addington which will do my head in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hesi said:

The infrastructure, such as databases for Passports and Driver's Licences it already set up, much the same the technology for printing money

There you go Maxi, despite all good intentions, Covid now in your neck of the woods, through a person who falsified documents to get an exemption and now refusing to cooperate 

Easier said than done