The Race Place

Crystal Daytom

Happy Sunrise

CRYSTAL DAYTOM - paced roughly after 150 metres and had to be steadied. Held up throughout the run home. Stewards questioned driver R Close as to whether he had given consideration to shifting outwards racing past the 1100 metres to race in the parked position. Mr Close advised that on the mare's recent form it would have proved detrimental to his chances had he raced parked this far from home and so instead maintained his position close to the pylons hoping the opportunity to obtain clear running would become available at a later stage however this did not eventuate with the mare going to the line untested. Mr Close also advised a sulky tyre had deflated during the running and he had not activated the removable deafeners.

A punted $2 shot held up throughout the run home, has a flat tyre and the deafeners are not activated, but to defend his drive he uses the horse's recent form. I really like the driving of Robbie Close and I know there is logic in his statement but really. At least say it is a sit sprinter or something.

Question, if a trainer is able to add lengths (and I mean lengths) to a very limited horse, why do owners not drop their current battling trainer and go to one who can give them value for money, better performances on race day and more stake money?

Shouldn't there be a stampede?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And on a different note but possibly related to Crystal Daytom.

AMERICAN PRIDE - Stewards questioned Junior driver O Thornley regarding the manner in which she drove her gelding when she chose not to follow ANDY HALL passing the 1200 metres. Miss Thornley explained that due to that horse's recent performance and market assessment she believed there was a chance she would be left to race three wide and without cover from that point so instead held her position in the two wide line. Miss Thornley was then questioned regarding the manner in which she drove at the 1000 metres when she lost contact with the back of DOFF YOUR CAP causing her to be shifted to a four wide position and then restraining. After considering her explanation she was spoken to advisedly regarding demonstrating better positional awareness when in similar circumstances in future.

What is a market assessment? Never read that before.

44 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

And on a different note but possibly related to Crystal Daytom.

AMERICAN PRIDE - Stewards questioned Junior driver O Thornley 

What did you think of the drive Happy ? wonder why Mark not driving too? 

Olivia had a drive in the Sires Stakes R3 as well . seemed to be in all sorts of trouble with WILLOW BAY , when Mark went around the field on the winner . WB up on the steel then, and piling into the back of Gavin Smith a couple of times, who actually lifted his arm to fend off the trailing Willow Bay at that stage who was hitting him hard. 

Seemed like a high quality race for a junior driver ?... I don't know .

i don't normally 'Pick-at' drivers too much . but her 2 drives today weren't up to scratch ? not a great look for a punter either...... any thoughts?.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Olivia had a drive in the Sires Stakes R3 as well . seemed to be in all sorts of trouble with WILLOW BAY , when Mark went around the field on the winner . WB up on the steel then, and piling into the back of Gavin Smith a couple of times, who actually lifted his arm to fend off the trailing Willow Bay at that stage who was hitting him hard. 

Seemed like a high quality race for a junior driver ?... I don't know .

i don't normally 'Pick-at' drivers too much . but her 2 drives today weren't up to scratch ? not a great look for a punter either...... any thoughts?.

Yes noticed that. Didn't know which horse was which that was doing the run up the back of, but def saw the swat off, that soon resulted in a check to a horse that I noticed lost ground as broke up due to that. And ran home nicely making up ground for 5th Street Hawk (haven't read stripes report been watching NEON).

18 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

What did you think of the drive Happy ? wonder why Mark not driving too? 

I didn't bet in the race so noticed a bit more than normal.  I was surprised she didn't go forward with the rest of them but I can see her reasoning for thinking she might be left posted 3 wide a long way out, her assessment just turned out to be wrong, that is all. Everyone tells me don't bet on amateurs, don't bet on juniors so I suppose that rang true here.

American Pride went an enormous race. The All Stars are going to have a great Cup Week. Good luck anyone stopping them.

As for Mark Purdon not driving the horse, since his drive on Self Assured was in Race 7 I bet he didn't want to wait around until Race 10 to drive it so gifted it to Olivia. He would have been at home on the couch watching NEON like Karrots by the time it was run. He is not the ultimate pro for nothing😂

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

American Pride went an enormous race. The All Stars are going to have a great Cup Week. Good luck anyone stopping them

Always have a great Cup week . The last 5 NZ Cups won , the last 5 Nz FFA's won , the last seven (7) x 3 year old Sires Stakes finals won. awesomeness. 

Here's 'American Pride' at the back, before running 5th today , on the far LEFT as they approach the 200m point . Not positioned to win at any stage. No good a horse going enormous when well favoured , in an average field and ask it to win from there. 

DSC02496.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Stewards questioned driver R Close as to whether he had given consideration to shifting outwards racing past the 1100 metres to race in the parked position. Mr Close advised that on the mare's recent form it would have proved detrimental to his chances had he raced parked this far from home and so instead maintained his position close to the pylons hoping the opportunity to obtain clear running would become available at a later stage however this did not eventuate

Thanks for posting this Happy. Saves me a job hunting the interweb for it.

Unfortunately the Stipes haven't followed up their line of questioning properly. Or if they did, it hasn't been published in the report. 

When did a horse 4 back the pegs on the turn at Ashburton, ever end up winning a race? 

By not moving at the 1100m mark, did that decrease the chances of winning, moreso than if a move forward was made? 

The $2 shot would not have been left parked, can almost guarantee it. Especially with the stablemate leading. 

If a less experienced driver, a junior, or dare I say it, an amateur, drove in this manner, would the Stipes be as lenient? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rusty said:

The $2 shot would not have been left parked, can almost guarantee it. Especially with the stablemate leading. 

Good point.

13 hours ago, Rusty said:

If a less experienced driver, a junior, or dare I say it, an amateur, drove in this manner, would the Stipes be as lenient? 

Another good point. I keep thinking back to Tim Williams at Auckland when he got hammered for the same thing. Precedents don't exist in harness like they do the law.

An information was lodged alleging that Driver T. Williams was in breach of Rule 868(2) in that he failed to take all reasonable and permissible measures between 1400 metres and 1100 metres to ensure that HAVE FAITH IN ME was given full opportunity to win the race or to obtain the best possible position and/or finishing place by failing to shift out from the marker line before being covered by BETTOR DREAM. After hearing the relative evidence and viewing the replays the J.C.A. upheld the charge and imposed a suspension of Mr William's driver's licence up to and including 31st December 2011

But then again, the recent form of Crystal Daytom 🤣

• Like 1

We all know what it means in general terms, but to use it as a defense in the stipes room is rather strange and drawing a long bow. Frankly it shouldn't be factored in when driving yr horse, it has to be driven on its merits regardless of its place in the market . This brings me back to my original argument and seriously Happy ,she didn't want to look bad in parking a horse three wide who was very well backed, and used that as a defense in effect. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Globederby19 said:

We all know what it means in general terms, but to use it as a defense in the stipes room is rather strange and drawing a long bow. Frankly it shouldn't be factored in when driving yr horse, it has to be driven on its merits regardless of its place in the market . This brings me back to my original argument and seriously Happy ,she didn't want to look bad in parking a horse three wide who was very well backed, and used that as a defense in effect. 

Totally agree with you Rees.

If she was three wide and couldn't get in, and that is surmising that would happened, I think most of us racing supporters would have thought at least the horse was put in the race, and gave itself every chance.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Which then begs the question, where was the market assessment by Robbie Close?

• Like 1

Im more getting bee in Bonet with the stand start thing. Noticed today at Manawatu that ALL drivers from the South that drove. Stood nicely. So they are part of the group from South that obey & respect the rules. Im starting to wonder BUT not wanting to point the sole finger just yet that M Purdon is the instigator here with these walking starts, when they are not meant to be. And then others e.g. J Dunn, sees what he is doing so does it too, so he is not at a disadvantage.

I know Lightening will have something to say here, re this is great tactics thinking from the TOP driver. I actually don't think its cool. Find it distasteful, disrespectful & it needs to be addressed. I don't care who they are. Rules are rules for EVERYONE.

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

I know Lightening will have something to say here, re this is great tactics thinking from the TOP driver.

Don't worry about my thoughts Karrots. I hate the bloody things (standing starts) The TOP driver (Mark) was out of the sulky , and on the deck 2 weeks ago. (Regal Attire and someone else put out of race at start risking someone rearing and sitting in the sulky with you , etc etc)

And we 'all' saw what happened with Muscle Mountain first up , back-peddling not even in race, on that same night. It's a disgrace. (a shambles anyway)

This past week they both won super well !............... from a mobile start . 

I rest my case .   Mobile starts Only please whenever/where-ever  possible. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, karrotsishere said:

Im more getting bee in Bonet with the stand start thing. Noticed today at Manawatu that ALL drivers from the South that drove. Stood nicely. So they are part of the group from South that obey & respect the rules. Im starting to wonder BUT not wanting to point the sole finger just yet that M Purdon is the instigator here with these walking starts, when they are not meant to be. And then others e.g. J Dunn, sees what he is doing so does it too, so he is not at a disadvantage

Homework for you Karrots . Have a look at Terror to Love Nz Cup starts on google u-tube. Nz cup 2012 when all horses were standing still as you would like . , Was very hard for horse reaction, as tape flies to all  get away level. Horses galloping everywhere, and/or very slow with some.

Then watch 2013 Nz Cup start. All these great drivers 'moving forward' at the start in contrast to year before . brilliant IMO. all away in a great line. It's so much better. Terror himself was the one galloping badly and went out the back by 10 lengths , AND then Still Won !! great effort . impressive stuff. you'll enjoy .

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Field Commander said:

Why is there not a tape behind the last row of horse(s)

Because the front row is evenly lined up at a standstill behind the tape therefore the second row is perfectly aligned behind them and the unruly is just back a wee bit in a line too. All drivers adhere to instructions and do not seek an advantage.

Hence, only one tape is required but even that could be dispensed with at any stage due to full compliance of horse and driver these days.

Note to self: submit reply April 1st

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

Homework for you Karrots . Have a look at Terror to Love Nz Cup starts on google u-tube. Nz cup 2012 when all horses were standing still as you would like . , Was very hard for horse reaction, as tape flies to all  get away level. Horses galloping everywhere, and/or very slow with some.

Then watch 2013 Nz Cup start. All these great drivers 'moving forward' at the start in contrast to year before . brilliant IMO. all away in a great line. It's so much better. Terror himself was the one galloping badly and went out the back by 10 lengths , AND then Still Won !! great effort . impressive stuff. you'll enjoy .

Ok. Ill take a peak. Its all about following the rules. Whether they be they must ALL stand or they must ALL walk forward. Had thought in South with the new starter that he was making them ALL stand now. 

I agree tho re stand starts with the trotters. Be nicer to see a few more mobiles for them. 

Just taking it back to the original post, and thread, if I may.

Crystal Daytom. ($2 Final Field).

Just another thought on this, and punting in general.

What is the single most important reason as to why one places a bet? 

Is it because one wishes to donate to the TAB?

Is it because one has too much money in their TAB account, wallet, or purse, and they wish for it to be lighter? 

Is it because they wish to do their part and prop up the industry? Afterall, some (not all) argue that the punter and their money, is the most important person in the industry. 

Or is it that one enjoys a dollar each way or a gold coin on a nag, and they see it as their entertainment? 

Or is it because one thinks that their "investment" on a certain horse is a good bet, having weighed up all important aspects and considered them, and their perceived likely outcome of the result? To the extent that they will drop a couple of grand on a 13 start maiden, which has never shown any form or promise? 

It just doesn't add up, to me. Or have I missed something? I suspect I have. I probably don't know why it deserved to be a $2 shot on Monday. When the only factor that has changed is the horse's trainer. I will have to take note of the trainer in future. Man, he must be good. I can only see the change in trainer being the reason as to why the flood of money, big money, arrived for this horse. 

Crystal Daytom I suspect will soon become (if not already), the most watched maiden in the country, with all eyes on it, next start. Then the eyes will turn to the tote.

"Market best guide." 

Edited by Rusty
  • Thanks 1