The Race Place

Woodville abandoned!

curious

Gosh. I never heard of a meeting being abandoned because the track was likely to be a Good 2. What gives?

The Woodville meeting scheduled for Sunday has been abandoned due to the firmness of the track. The track has been inspected today (Monday) by club representatives and the RIB. With fine weather forecast for the week ahead the track is expected to be at least in the Good2 range come race-day. There is no option to irrigate. NZTR will look to divide a race or races at Otaki this Friday and will add a race or races where possible in the coming weeks if required.

Edited by curious
  • Confused 1

I raced two horses - both known wet-trackers -  on Gd 2 tracks.  I took the punt that the soil type/grass cover would be adequate to protect them, and it did.

One was at Hokitika, ran 4th from well back, and the lovely cushion in the ground allowed him to stretch out well.  Jockey said ' he loved it '.   Finian's Rainbow was the horse, he later won the Grt Autumn Hcp by 12 lengths in bottomless conditions,  with commentator Bruce Sherwin calling him home as 'a wet track freak'.

The other was little battler Black Berry Punch, who won at Riverton on the same rating.

Somewhat encouraged by his performance at Riverton, I lined him up at Riccarton a few weeks later, on a D4,  but he felt every step and couldn't stretch out at all.

It doesn't pay to get too hung up on numbers.

Edited by Freda
  • Like 1