The Race Place

NZTR Video R7 Ellerslie now morphing into general NZTR comment hopefully with input from NZTR

Hesi

Hesi, I'm ambivalent on this one. I understand where you are coming from but the editing of the race video will surely be seized upon by animal activists (a stupid term because the last thing they care about is the welfare of actual animals) as proof we - the racing industry - are trying to hide proof of animals suffering in the name of the sport which is in fact quite correct on their part. I think this gains them more support from neutrals than an open transparent approach from the industry because we seem to be trying to brush it under the carpet. Just my 5 cents worth but I have battled these people for some time privately and I know how their minds work.  A fractured shoulder mid-race is a very very unusual injury I must say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PWJ said:

Hesi, I'm ambivalent on this one. I understand where you are coming from but the editing of the race video will surely be seized upon by animal activists (a stupid term because the last thing they care about is the welfare of actual animals) as proof we - the racing industry - are trying to hide proof of animals suffering in the name of the sport which is in fact quite correct on their part. I think this gains them more support from neutrals than an open transparent approach from the industry because we seem to be trying to brush it under the carpet. Just my 5 cents worth but I have battled these people for some time privately and I know how their minds work.  A fractured shoulder mid-race is a very very unusual injury I must say.

You can't win really can you

Something done to be sensitive to those associated with the horse and eliminate those with a morbid sense of curiosity is interpreted as trying to be non-transparent.

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Something done to be sensitive to those associated with the horse and eliminate those with a morbid sense of curiosity is interpreted as trying to be non-transparent.

Agree with Pete here. Delayed and then edited vision of reality is not very transparent for mine.

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

I understand the frustration Alan but in the end, the best course is transparency and honesty. These people will multiply everything hidden ten-fold worse and then it will be believed by the neutrals because "why else would we have hidden it ?".

I don't really buy the argument about those associated with the horse. It's a conscious action to go and watch the vid if you choose to. I lost a filly in very tragic circumstances in 1992 at the trials at Wanganui where one of her hind legs was literally severed as she was careering away to win a trial. Jockey Matthew Enright was badly injured after being heavily galloped on by a following runner. Took about 6 weeks to return to the saddle and needless to say the filly was destroyed. I had to run on to the track and catch her myself as she attempted to run away on three legs. It doesn't get much more upsetting than that. I have the video, which I had pre-ordered at the start of the day. In 27 years I have watched the video just twice but if I choose to watch it and it upsets me then that's my call, not anyone else's fault.

Hi Alan,

Each incident is considered on its merits and we do lean towards not showing any footage which shows a person or horse suffering a serious injury.  Of course, this can be a subjective exercise. 

In the case of Valtteri a few weeks earlier the horse dropped out of the race and the footage, so even though the horse was subsequently euthanised there was no visible signs of distress or injury in the footage.  Mongolian Heaven’s injury was extremely apparent and, accordingly, the footage was not put up on the day of the race, but edited and put up later to allow interested parties to view all bar that segment of the race.

I understand that the animal rights activists would claim we do not show the footage because we are “hiding” what happened but the reasoning has more to do with the fact that we are horse lovers who find nothing gratifying in watching a horse suffer a catastrophic injury.

Happy to answer any further questions around this.

Ngā mihi nui,

Mary

picture?folder=default0%2FINBOX&id=185476&uid=image001.png%4001D5B4FB.DD11F430

Mary Burgess

Corporate Communications & Media Advisor

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing

m: +64 27 615 5742

f: +64 4 568 8866

a: 106-110 Jackson Street, Petone, Wellington 5012

LOVERACING.NZ

45 minutes ago, curious said:

I agree about the response. Excellent whether you agree or disagree. And very prompt. Big thumbs up to Mary. Nice to think that there are some at NZTR doing a competent job.

I emailed at 4.18 and got a response at 5.03......not a sausage roll machine in sight:classic_smile:

11 hours ago, Hesi said:

I had another good email from Mary Burgess which I will post tonight

Might even ask her if Bernard Saundry will respond to any debate on Thoroughbred racing etc especially with all the changes planned

Might get your wish yet Curious

Hi Alan,

Perfectly happy to answer any queries you might have regarding our thought process around various occurrences if it helps to clarify things, especially as your forum seems to be made up of relatively sane individuals compared with some of the contributors on the other sites.

In a perfect world we would be able to enter into discussions with an explanation without enduring some of the personal abuse which has been directed at some of my colleagues here.  As a Comms person I am all for sharing information and giving people the facts – people can disagree with them provided they do so in a respectful manner.

Let’s hope The Race Place can keep the disruptive element out (interestingly, it would appear that some with the loudest voices have the least understanding of how the industry is structured – I am constantly gobsmacked when people miss the difference between the codes and what is now RITA!).

Cheers, Mary

• Like 3

• Hesi pinned and featured this topic

Hi Alan,

Good to hear you are policing the site to keep things seemly.

One area regarding the Messara Report and subsequent Racing Bill which some on the other sites seem to have grasped the wrong end of the stick around relates to Messara’s recommendation #12 around vesting club property and assets to the Code bodies.  Despite it being clearly stated in NZTR’s submission that this are required further work and that we believed that “universal land transfer is a blunt instrument which does not recognise that some venues are important community assets” there are some who can’t seem to get their heads around this.  You can read more in our original submission:https://loveracing.nz/OnHorseFiles/Messara%20Report%20-%20NZTR%20Submission.pdf

Hardly surprisingly most of those in chat room land have latched on to the land-grab legislation (despite the fact that this is so poorly drafted that it is bound to be changed significantly come select committee) and totally missed things such as the TAB owning the industry IP.  This would mean NZTR would be in breach of the TAB’s rights by purely running its website and the Racing Bureau, and clubs, by printing racebooks and promoting their meetings.  

I will keep monitoring your site and, as mentioned previously, only to happy to assist with clarification when sought.  Good to know Peter Jenkins is involved, he is one of the good guys!

Cheers, Mary

• Like 4

I guess it is up to anyone who wants to debate  the situations,  wanting clarification  wanting to know what is happening,  to post and see if Mary Burgess and/or others at NZTR respond, as developments unfold

Certainly the view on the land transfer is interesting, sensible and informative, when others would have you believe the end of the world is nigh

I have told her that we will ensure it is kept seemly and things don't  degenerate  into personal abuse, which quite rightly, they will withdraw 

Try sitting in a meeting and telling someone  they are stupid or an arsehole and see how quickly the meeting is terminated

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi Mary. Thanks for commenting here. I note your point on the land/venue issue but your submission does say:

NZTR needs to be able to ensure that, when use of a venue ceases, any proceeds from any sale of that venue may be applied in the wider interests of thoroughbred racing, following consultation with affected parties including community groups.  

That doesn't seem to suggest there is much leeway on this from the NZTR position and obviously your view is only one stake holder that has not substantially affected the proposed legislation.

Thanks also Mary

This land transfer Bill has proceeded to it's first reading, and as you say, a long way to go, and a lot of input at Select Committee stage, but already it has created a lot of angst

Would it not have been better to focus on getting the industry running in a sustainable way, via some of the other actionable recommendations in the Messara Report, then address it

The money that would come from the sale of land and assets that had ownership transferred to NZTR, is, as per the Messara Report 190 million, and is for the refurbishment of the remaining 28 courses, both facilities and tracks.

The general belief, is that this, while ultimately needed, would not turn around racing in NZ 

Racing: Sole rights to IP meets fierce resistance

21 Dec, 2019 5:00am
 3 minutes to read
New Racing Industry Bill covers legislative change to many facets of the industry. Photo / Trish Dunell
New Racing Industry Bill covers legislative change to many facets of the industry. Photo / Trish Dunell
NZ Herald

By: Michael Guerin

Just who owns the rights to New Zealand racing could be at the centre of a potentially heated debate sparked by the new Racing Industry Bill.

The bill, which had its first reading in Parliament last week, covers legislative change to many facets of the industry including one which many participants won't pay much attention to that could end up being its most important.

Under the bill the new administrative body TAB NZ, which will take over from RITA in July, will be granted exclusive rights to racing's intellectual property, which is used for all betting, form guides and broadcasting in New Zealand and Australia.

That means effectively it will own the rights to race fields, results, broadcast pictures and commentaries, basically everything else you need to bet on New Zealand racing.

Previously that IP has been controlled by each code and leased to the TAB, or RITA.

Under the new bill that IP will belong to TAB NZ — and NZ Thoroughbred Racing for one doesn't like it.

NZTR insiders have told the Herald they believe the three codes should control their own IP, pointing to tasks as simple as printing racebooks becoming more difficult if the information is actually controlled by TAB NZ.

NZTR will have meetings with its clubs and stakeholders next month to explain its reservations about facets of the bill and, in particular, the loss of code IP before making its formal submissions to the select committee in February.

NZTR says parts of the new bill stray too far from the code-led change initially suggested in the Messara report and give too much power to TAB NZ (on IP) and the Racing Minister (on track closures and futures).

But RITA counters that if the newly formed TAB NZ is to drive turnover as effectively as possible it needs control of the actual product, rather than just being a conduit for it.

In reality — and nobody is willing to discuss this publicly — control of the racing information also means control of any future joint ventures that require it.

If the codes own their own IP they could possibly enter into negotiations with overseas betting operators, effectively even bypassing TAB NZ. That is unlikely but not impossible and any such negotiations have the potential to fractionalise the industry and weaken TAB NZ's future negotiating clout for joint ventures and broadcasting rights.

The bill looks set to secure those powers for TAB NZ but not without a fight.

• pete unpinned this topic