The Race Place

Waikato stud

vanturk

3 issues here.

As I understand it

Starship said no ... tainted $ .... wokeness.

After Starship said no, Racing NSW said terms are must be a local NSW charity. They were obviously dark knowing any NSW organisation's would grab it.

Starship were hung up on advertising rights with an earlier sponsor. That issue should have been quickly dealt with and overcome. It wasn't ... so a gift horse was let loose. But this aspect probably tied up with the wokeness factor, though details not disclosed yet .... they will be as one party has to save face.

Only one brand damaged here.

Edited by Turny
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Moral of the story, horse racing not seen as okay in this country even though it is a legitimate industry, Lotto seen as okay, even though hardly what you could call an industry.  Both gambling 

This has always staggered me. Going back 20 plus years I have lost track of the number of people I have encountered who look down their nose on those who bet on horse racing because "they don't gamble" but are died-in-the-wool habitual Lotto players. A hypocritical path that Lotto laid at the public's feet when it was first launched.

• Like 1

Yes, they seem to be back-pedalling faster than a Ferari in reverse.

I'd like to see a clear clarification statement from Mark Chitty, not just the very vague whitewashed Starship version. I find it hard to believe that an extra 24 hours would not have been granted to Starship to do their necessary due diligence  had it been requested.

Edited by curious

Yep totally agree, this story about 3pm, must have a decision by close of play is not believable.

Chittick's intentions were exemplary in approaching Starship to make the donation, but he should not have gone to the press and not agreed to talk to Hosking.

That would still have given them half a day by Oz time to do their checking and I'm sure if Chitty had gone back to the charity/club whomever and said Starship have accepted subject to completing due diligence which may be tomorrow due to the fact it is late in the day here that would have been fine. Instead, it seems they just flat declined. Not really believable.

Edited by curious
  • Like 1

Another aspect to this saga, is that it all had to be sorted last week prior to the race.  The 10% applies to prize money won by all horses.

So Starship or Chittick would not have known the amount then, so when they turned it down, it would be incorrect to say they turned down $500K, because the result of the race was not known

The amount to Starship could have been as low as $1,000

Prize Money Breakdown

1st $5,250,000 2nd $2,000,000
3rd $1,000,000 4th $500,000
5th $250,000 6th $175,000
7th & 8th $120,000 9th $100,000
10th $75,000 11th & 12th $30,000
13th – 16th $20,000 17th – 20th $10,000
Equine Welfare Fund: $100,000

4 hours ago, Hesi said:

Yep totally agree, this story about 3pm, must have a decision by close of play is not believable.

Chittick's intentions were exemplary in approaching Starship to make the donation, but he should not have gone to the press and not agreed to talk to Hosking.

I don't think he went  to the press, where does it say he did?

1 hour ago, curious said:

Also he was very clear about what he told Starship when he made the offer that it would be some money regardless but that if they were lucky enough to win it could be in excess of 500k

You would have to look hard to find that important bit of detail in the many news reports that have now spread around the world

53 minutes ago, Hesi said:

You would have to look hard to find that important bit of detail in the many news reports that have now spread around the world

Not really.

"

Cambridge-based Chittick wanted to donate that money to Starship but was turned down last week before the race was run.

“Racing NSW have an initiative where part of the stake for some of their biggest races goes to charity, which I think is a wonderful thing,” Chittick told the Herald.

“So I asked the officials over there last week could whatever money we win go to a New Zealand organisation.

“They said it could, so I instantly thought of Starship because of the sick kids who they help and the support their families might need.

“I rang them and after speaking to a few different people I found the right person, apparently, and told them the opportunity we had.

“I said while I can’t guarantee you how much money it will be, I’d love to let the hospital have it.

“They rang me back an hour later and declined. They were really polite about it but said they didn’t want to take money associated with racing or gambling.

On 11/2/2022 at 12:55 PM, Hesi said:

Moral of the story, horse racing not seen as okay in this country even though it is a legitimate industry, Lotto seen as okay, even though hardly what you could call an industry.  Both gambling 

Exactly, and 23c in every dollar spent on Lotto goes back to the community.   In many cases, according to the stories on their website it is supporting groups and organisations that involve children.   

1 hour ago, curious said:

Not really.

"

Cambridge-based Chittick wanted to donate that money to Starship but was turned down last week before the race was run.

“Racing NSW have an initiative where part of the stake for some of their biggest races goes to charity, which I think is a wonderful thing,” Chittick told the Herald.

“So I asked the officials over there last week could whatever money we win go to a New Zealand organisation.

“They said it could, so I instantly thought of Starship because of the sick kids who they help and the support their families might need.

“I rang them and after speaking to a few different people I found the right person, apparently, and told them the opportunity we had.

“I said while I can’t guarantee you how much money it will be, I’d love to let the hospital have it.

“They rang me back an hour later and declined. They were really polite about it but said they didn’t want to take money associated with racing or gambling.

Ha, the only one i can't see because I refuse to pay a subscription for the garbage they usually publish

But thanks

27 minutes ago, Dancing Show said:

Exactly, and 23c in every dollar spent on Lotto goes back to the community.   In many cases, according to the stories on their website it is supporting groups and organisations that involve children.   

And whose fault is it that the racing industry in NZ is viewed like that......the racing industry

11 hours ago, Hesi said:

And whose fault is it that the racing industry in NZ is viewed like that......the racing industry

So true.

No print media, no true social media promoting the good aspects of racing.

Anything you read in the paper media is negative revolving around drugging, cheating, animal welfare negative, race fixing,  gambling rorts and on it goes with no official racing response. So we are self condemned.

My non gambling mates always trot out INCA, and often say ... jeepers must be real bad as it has taken so long ..

INCA has caused monstrous damage

8 hours ago, Turny said:

So true.

No print media, no true social media promoting the good aspects of racing.

Anything you read in the paper media is negative revolving around drugging, cheating, animal welfare negative, race fixing,  gambling rorts and on it goes with no official racing response. So we are self condemned.

My non gambling mates always trot out INCA, and often say ... jeepers must be real bad as it has taken so long ..

INCA has caused monstrous damage

Very true Tom 

Can't recall last time I read a positive racing story and that where the problem lies I feel 

As a family who has had to fly to Starship several times knowing what 500,000 could of done to help parents and kids feel less stressed while up there I am very annoyed at their stance to not accept.

Ironic is one of Starships major sponsors in Barfoot & Thompson who sponsor the Auckland Cup!!!!! 

• Like 1