The Race Place

Expressions of Interest

Hesi

No not dried up, not going to rush into anything though, and just seeing what feedback there is.

I understand people's reluctance to even express an interest until there is more meat on the bone.

To date we have two good leads, through

1.  Freda, who is a trainer in the South Island, and good friends with Barry, who has/had horses with her

2.  Contacts through Rees(Globederby), who I will leave him to elaborate on, if/when he feels appropriate.

I'm well aware, that these are potentially shark infested waters,  you only have to read one of Freda's posts to appreciate how much you can get fleeced, so personal and trusted contacts are important

Thanks

1 hour ago, curious said:

Just took another 750 gms out of the freezer for tomorrow night! Some freshly caught SI trout on the way as well. Not sure what the plan is from here on the syndicate idea SG?

Don't believe him Rex(Sir G), he's probably having sausage rolls(ex NZRB ones) for tea, and copy and pasting the other pics out of Cuisine magazine:classic_smile:

• Haha 1

I suppose now my name is out there I might as well elaborate.

My son in law is Andrew Campbell, who is a horse trainer as most of you will know. Before the syndicate owners who he has trained for came along, namely Tommy Hepinstall and company,  he was a trader. Bred/bought and sold horses mostly in the Asian market, after trials/races here. He bred fillies such as OutofAlign, Everswindell and leased them with no right of purchase to be sent back for breeding from .He picked out Tavistock for the syndicate at the sales/trained him and as they say the rest is history including his syndication to Cambridge stud, of which the syndicate retained 4 shares in.

With the recent news of Tavistocks demise it is fair to say that I will have to wait a while before I ask his advice on the proposal Hesi has put forward.

If I can in any way help in the success of this endeavour I will do do at the appropriate time.

Being an owner of Harness horses ( much cheaper) I will demure on being part of a TB syndicate though.

Hope this helps

• Like 3

Keen.

What I'd push for as the most fitting and fun approach is to have a couple of decent punts as the main goal. If everyone involved is aligned towards that it could be a very exciting project.

A cheap ready to run would be an option so long as we have some syndicate members able to spot lemons from goats.

Or how about buying a sound but exposed type from some disillusioned soul who is sick of racing it in $10k r82s. And then win back to back r65 -> r72 18 months later. NZ isn't the best place to attempt this in for sure but that only adds to the appeal for me.

Welfare is important, I'm sure that can be figured out with some planning.

8 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

I suppose now my name is out there I might as well elaborate.

My son in law is Andrew Campbell, who is a horse trainer as most of you will know. Before the syndicate owners who he has trained for came along, namely Tommy Hepinstall and company,  he was a trader. Bred/bought and sold horses mostly in the Asian market, after trials/races here. He bred fillies such as OutofAlign, Everswindell and leased them with no right of purchase to be sent back for breeding from .He picked out Tavistock for the syndicate at the sales/trained him and as they say the rest is history including his syndication to Cambridge stud, of which the syndicate retained 4 shares in.

With the recent news of Tavistocks demise it is fair to say that I will have to wait a while before I ask his advice on the proposal Hesi has put forward.

If I can in any way help in the success of this endeavour I will do do at the appropriate time.

Being an owner of Harness horses ( much cheaper) I will demure on being part of a TB syndicate though.

Hope this helps

Thanks Rees, and I see a 3 year old Tavistock filly that looks very promising starting on NYD at Hastings, Alexandrite

18 hours ago, Sandpiper said:

Keen.

What I'd push for as the most fitting and fun approach is to have a couple of decent punts as the main goal. If everyone involved is aligned towards that it could be a very exciting project.

A cheap ready to run would be an option so long as we have some syndicate members able to spot lemons from goats.

Or how about buying a sound but exposed type from some disillusioned soul who is sick of racing it in $10k r82s. And then win back to back r65 -> r72 18 months later. NZ isn't the best place to attempt this in for sure but that only adds to the appeal for me.

Welfare is important, I'm sure that can be figured out with some planning.

Pitty would be the go-to for that type of project....there are few better than him at racing a horse back to a grade where it can win.

2 hours ago, barryb said:

Hard to go past Freda guys in doing what a few want to do on here.

1) Welfare of the horse is the most important issue.

2) Active participant on these forums.

3) Has an eye for it & cares about owners, horses and the industry.

4) Trustworthy, bloody important for owners.

5) I rate her and have 1 with her now and have had a few with her in the past. I am a fucking hard marker as well (She has had a couple of emails from me, she was right, I was wrong).

6) Mixes with the owners to have a bloody good time also and is very approachable.

Thanks Baz... your appreciation means a great deal.

Wrt the post by Sandpiper however,  I stick by my assessment of Pitty as the best option for that kind of horse.....and as I have dropped myself into an advisory capacity ( sort of )  it goes without saying that the S.I. is NOT the place to send a jumper.  Not that I - and others - don't love the jumping game,  but the chances are that jumping will disappear pretty soon here.

• Like 1

• pete unpinned this topic