The Race Place

Expressions of Interest

Hesi

Baz ...you,ve summed it up nicely...problem being your generally funding someone elses crack at breeding...

have run a couple of Donkey syndicates myself...boys paid all the way through though...

yeah Vet and Farrier bills need a figure roughly put aside and explained to members beforehand. (they are the big unpleasant surprises).

Having said that...Hastings Spring Carnival Triple Crown Winner. Melody Belle...would like to be involved in that one ! (big syndicate)  

1 hour ago, barryb said:

Hesi, having bought stacks of horses and been involved wth plenty, the hardest part is getting people to keep paying.

Get someone like Freda to sniff out a good lease ready to go one. You will give away 10% winning but won’t have to wait long and you just give it back when it finished, easy.

Get people to agree is bloody neigh impossible so set the rules upfront and get everyone paying on DD fortnightly. You want rules around payments, trainer contact, winnings, vet costs, nomination expenses, quitting the horse, welfare. 
This is all from experience, if you don’t get it right at the start then it burns you later when you are left paying the wash up bills. Everyone’s enthusiastic at the start, no one is at the end. 

Have a nice Christmas you West Coasters...mmm I can taste the whitebait fritters now.

Roast Lamb tonight with mint, new spuds , Broccili (out of the Garden) and Cheese Sauce, Topped of with Creamy Pav and Garden Strawberries .

Tomorrow morning a pot luck Brunch and regular Barby and Piss for Tea 

2 hours ago, Freda said:

I'd be happy to share my way of operating syndicates/groups for anyone to critique. 

Firstly welcome to The Race Place Freda

I think it is widely known that you are a thoroughbred trainer, so any input is appreciated, and may convince a few to express their interest

Plus you come with a glowing recommendation from Barry, who I understand had a winner with you a few days ago

Ah,  well,  yes,  success always helps..!

I am not assuming that I am  likely to be the 'trainer elect' although,  happy to oblige if that is agreed.

But I'm happy to run through possible models that might suit a group such as are on this website,  and associates.

Okay then....for starters, I am not an authorized syndicator,  so I cannot advertise openly in the manner of those top end operations. 

I will get asked by a group to look for a horse to lease - can take a while - and then I assess the overall monthly outgoings. 

Whoever is the designated manager opens a bank account for the horse,  and each member will deposit monthly - or fortnightly, whatever works best for them - an amount proportional to their interest.  I.e. ten per cent, thirty per cent - one per cent.  I have many friends with one-per-cent shares in horses, they pay thirty dollars per month, have regular meetings, drink a lot of wine and have heaps of fun.

I do run a couple of these but I do prefer not to.  I feel that any potential conflict of interest is eliminated if I dont.

All costs - training, vet,farrier, transport,  etc are paid out of this account.  Bank statements can be viewed if wished.

Any stakemoney is given directly back to shareholders as earned.

I have run one whereby stakemoney was banked in a separate account and held until the horse was finished,  that worked fine as well  ....and one group currently with me has their ( collective) portion put into bonus bonds. 

Regular emails are sent to everyone....but i must admit I'm not very adept at putting photos or videos up.

Hope that gives some ideas for discussion. 

• Like 3

I should add that unless one is on close terms with a good stud or breeder, and can access quality and un-cocked-up horses,   it can be difficult to find a viable horse to lease. There are plenty about, but there are not too many that are sound/ unblemished/ sane/ etc.... and when leasing,  one has to remember that generally the horse isnt wanted, couldn't sell, or has been tried and found wanting.

And you won't be told which.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Freda said:

Okay then....for starters, I am not an authorized syndicator,  so I cannot advertise openly in the manner of those top end operations. 

I will get asked by a group to look for a horse to lease - can take a while - and then I assess the overall monthly outgoings. 

Whoever is the designated manager opens a bank account for the horse,  and each member will deposit monthly - or fortnightly, whatever works best for them - an amount proportional to their interest.  I.e. ten per cent, thirty per cent - one per cent.  I have many friends with one-per-cent shares in horses, they pay thirty dollars per month, have regular meetings, drink a lot of wine and have heaps of fun.

I do run a couple of these but I do prefer not to.  I feel that any potential conflict of interest is eliminated if I dont.

All costs - training, vet,farrier, transport,  etc are paid out of this account.  Bank statements can be viewed if wished.

Any stakemoney is given directly back to shareholders as earned.

I have run one whereby stakemoney was banked in a separate account and held until the horse was finished,  that worked fine as well  ....and one group currently with me has their ( collective) portion put into bonus bonds. 

Regular emails are sent to everyone....but i must admit I'm not very adept at putting photos or videos up.

Hope that gives some ideas for discussion. 

Thanks for that tremendous input Freda, or can we call you by your real name.

Will let this percolate and see what reception, comments etc etc

7 hours ago, Freda said:

I should add that unless one is on close terms with a good stud or breeder, and can access quality and un-cocked-up horses,   it can be difficult to find a viable horse to lease. There are plenty about, but there are not too many that are sound/ unblemished/ sane/ etc.... and when leasing,  one has to remember that generally the horse isnt wanted, couldn't sell, or has been tried and found wanting.

And you won't be told which.

Yes, I'm glad you added this in.

They all lined up to take Don Ha's money off him, I note

• Sad 1

Freda has pretty much nailed it! It all depends on what people want to get out of the syndicate. From experience there are two types of syndicates at the lower end,one that wants to break even and have good day out and the other that doesn't give a "flying" and enjoys the craic of the odd track work/stable visit combined with some great banter and grog with like minded people.

I'm in one small(2 yr old Aus)and one large ( jumper uk).

Maybe a purchase at the lower end at the RTR sale could be  a starter (all the work done and scope for improvement).

Merry Christmas all

• Like 4

Depending on costs etc i'd be keen as.I've been in syndicates where the payout is done differently.In one syndicate that i'm in...as soon as the horse wins,and the money gets finalised..the syndicate members then get a payout.Or the other syndicate that i was in..we all got a payout once the horse had finished it's current campaign.Both ways worked fine,as i said money would be the thing that would stop me or not,but i think it's a good idea but as others have said it will need to be done right and everything outlined from the get go.

20 minutes ago, Sir Gallivant said:

Hi ...... Geesh Whitebait for new years eve after seeing all those photo's ..... Has the syndicate idea dried up or are there further investigations being looked into ..... am keen ... but having been burnt on two occasions ..... so caution and money will be my decision to join. :classic_biggrin:

Just took another 750 gms out of the freezer for tomorrow night! Some freshly caught SI trout on the way as well. Not sure what the plan is from here on the syndicate idea SG?