The Race Place

Welsh Rugby has gone mad, woke or both

Maximus

Max just doesn't believe it ...bit it's true. Welsh Rugby Union has banned 'Delilah' (Tom Jones's classic '60s song of betrayal, revenge and murder) from being sung at their National Stadium....apparently to show that they don't condone domestic violence of any kind.

(Link to the article is at end of this post.)

More virtue signalling from the woke-meisters in the sporting world.

Seems the naughty words are: "I felt the knife in my hand and she laughed no more."

Here's the song with lyrics. Judge for yourself whether or not this song is even about domestic violence per se ...

Max simply does not comprehend the logic behind this nonsense. P'raps there is no logic.

If they want to make a meaningful stand against violence, the logical thing to do is: ban tackling. Turn Test matches into Touch Rugby.

Wales Rugby bans Tom Jones anthem 'Delilah' from Principality Stadium choir list (msn.com)

Question: will the NZRU come out in sympathy and ban their shocking song and dance routine called 'Ka Mate'?

Replace it with something sweet like ..Kumbaya

MM

Interesting Max. Not sure how they can ban a song if everyone sings it together at the game. Nanny state has many tentacles it seems, on a global scale these days. You're right though, there can't possibly be any hakas pre-match on the next tour to Wales.

Haha my auto-correct suggests Hakes for Hakas - oh dear...

8 hours ago, PWJ said:

Interesting Max. Not sure how they can ban a song if everyone sings it together at the game. Nanny state has many tentacles it seems, on a global scale these days. You're right though, there can't possibly be any hakas pre-match on the next tour to Wales.

Haha my auto-correct suggests Hakes for Hakas - oh dear...

haha oops sorry, just saw that you said the same thing .. 

• Like 1

here's the thing, peeps...

Welsh Rugby Union haven't banned people from singing Delilah...they've told their choir that the song aint on the songsheet no more no more...so if the multitudes want to thumb their nose and give the one-finger salute to them, it will be so...and Max may even tune in to a Six Nations game to see what happened...

The more important point is this:

• virtue signalling is a global pain in the ass 

15 hours ago, Maximus said:

virtue signalling is a global pain in the ass 

Ain't that the truth. With T Jones a Welsh icon and legend , I can imagine a revolt and everyman and his dog singing the stands down, such is the passion of the Welsh.  I wouldn't mind betting the choir gives the stiff finger as well and some leave. 

The Welsh Rugby have got more to worry about. Currently the Taffies are having a debate as to whether their National Sport is Football or Rugby. I have no idea how you would decide that but given that Football is a far bigger participation sport in NZ and stuff all people go to Club, NPC games then maybe we should have the same debate.

One thing is for certain though Ranfurly Shield Fever is no more. Wellington holds it and no one cares. At their first defence stuff all turned up.

1 hour ago, Bloke said:

One thing is for certain though Ranfurly Shield Fever is no more. Wellington holds it and no one cares. At their first defence stuff all turned up.

1) It was on a long weekend, lots of people leave the city. 

2) The weather was terrible on game day. 

3) The ABs were on that night and it was virtually impossible to make it home before the game started if you went to the lions  

4) AFL grand final was on (not a huge reason) but the reason I didn’t go  

5) Public transport is terrible on long weekends.

On 2/7/2023 at 11:28 PM, Tonkatime said:

1) It was on a long weekend, lots of people leave the city. 

2) The weather was terrible on game day. 

3) The ABs were on that night and it was virtually impossible to make it home before the game started if you went to the lions  

4) AFL grand final was on (not a huge reason) but the reason I didn’t go  

5) Public transport is terrible on long weekends.

6 No one gives much of a toss any more, unless you're family/friends

7) Even if you do give a toss, TV is a better cheaper option. If your team plays poorly you can stop the pain immediately.

Max loves watching Test rugby involving the All Blacks, but only when the result is imprtant and only once the haka yawnfest (with multiple slo-mo close-upis) is over.

MM

38 minutes ago, Maximus said:

6 No one gives much of a toss any more, unless you're family/friends

7) Even if you do give a toss, TV is a better cheaper option. If your team plays poorly you can stop the pain immediately.

Max loves watching Test rugby involving the All Blacks, but only when the result is imprtant and only once the haka yawnfest (with multiple slo-mo close-upis) is over.

MM

We could spend all day on the topic Max and getting fleeced once you enter ground is a big issue. 

• Like 1