The Race Place

Mike Tyson

Happy Sunrise

JUST MICHAEL - began awkwardly and shifted outwards at the start. When questioned regarding the performance driver J Cox reported the gelding had hung inwards from the 800m causing him difficulty and he would be recommending a change of bit prior to the horse resuming. Mr Cox defended a charge under Rule 869(3)(f) alleging he drove improperly passing the 1500m when striking the trailing KIWI HERO on several occasions with his fist with the Adjudicative Committee electing to defer the hearing to a date and time to be fixed

37 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Frankly I don't blame him. Kiwi Hero banged the back of his head numerous times, down the back straight and again on the corner, where Cox obviously had had  enough. 

So you think Cox turning back and punching the horse on multiple occasions is ok?

Edited by Happy Sunrise

Agree with Globie here.

If you slow motion it, & freeze frame it, it looks like he doesnt connect with horse.

In hindsight he shouldn't of done it via close fist, open hand & wouldn't of looked so bad.

The horse was right up on his nickle. Annoyed he turned & closed fist, warned the horse, get out of my space. That is what he did.

Next time tho, do it open hand - out of my space buddy.

Edited by karrotsishere

FFS. Just yet ANOTHER example, of harness racing shooting itself in the foot. Bloody hell. Public perception. Gotta be very careful these days. We live In a different world now, compared to decades gone by. 

The only saving grace here, is that there is a very good chance, this event will not make mainstream media, so most of the public, maybe 99% of the public, that have no interest in harness racing, will not actually become aware of this act. 

Imagine if the anti-racing brigade got wind of this event. 

They are going after greyhound racing, and it's a bee's dick away from getting shut down in NZ. And if they get their way, bringing the curtain down on the greyhounds, then guess which sport they will be targeting next? It's acts like this, hitting a horse, with one's fist (no matter how it is defended) that will really add fuel to the fire. 

• Like 1

I stand corrected in my view that it was an unacceptable action by a driver in a race on TV.

I am used to seeing a driver push their head back onto the horse or be a bit classier like Orange or Close and use a forearm to steer a horse away if it got too close.

Fair enough though if people think it was ok to do that. Hope it doesn't become a regular occurrence as I wouldn't want the driver to fall out of the cart with a big swing and a miss! 

6 minutes ago, Rusty said:

FFS. Just yet ANOTHER example, of harness racing shooting itself in the foot. Bloody hell. Public perception. Gotta be very careful these days. We live In a different world now, compared to decades gone by. 

The only saving grace here, is that there is a very good chance, this event will not make mainstream media, so most of the public, maybe 99% of the public, that have no interest in harness racing, will not actually become aware of this act. 

Imagine if the anti-racing brigade got wind of this event. 

They are going after greyhound racing, and it's a bee's dick away from getting shut down in NZ. And if they get their way, bringing the curtain down on the greyhounds, then guess which sport they will be targeting next? It's acts like this, hitting a horse, with one's fist (no matter how it is defended) that will really add fuel to the fire. 

We are like the Maori Party on this one, Rusty.

Polling about 5%.

Multiple personalities have said it is ok 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

If you slow motion it, & freeze frame it, it looks like he doesnt connect with horse.

That crazy, loopy, anti-racing brigade, are not going to be slow-motioning it, when they go sharing it on their Bookfaces and insta-toks. 

10 minutes ago, Rusty said:

That crazy, loopy, anti-racing brigade, are not going to be slow-motioning it, when they go sharing it on their Bookfaces and insta-toks. 

Hello my fav cuties Rusty & Happy.

Could you please provide me with a pic, screen shot of Cox connecting with the horse. Just post here. Thanks. 

20 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I am used to seeing a driver push their head back onto the horse

Yeah that used to be very common. when races were run slower in 2.00 min mile rates and slower , many horses would 'pull' a bit for sure. and be piling into the back of the driver in front. The driver often 'helped out' with a little sharp back of skull-cap head flick onto the trailing horses nose to get it to 'back off a bit'.

No -one ever minded as this usually got your horse 'thinking ' or at least a bit more responsive to it's own reins, and this might mean a little bit of finishing energy is kept for end of race  ,instead of horse pulling itself into the ground and running no-where.

Never knew of drivers raising their arms though. Don't think you're allowed to put the reins in one hand these days are you. ? 

36 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Kia Ora CuzScreenshot_20230509-213455.thumb.jpg.c5b2a70b70a2d93a235157c665b1c863.jpg

To be fair, given an overseas vote & both parties are not to my liking, Im looking at a 3rd party. 1 that wont be a waste of vote. 

Im considering Maori Party. Just saying. If Im starting to consider & past tense 2017 that vote went to NZF when, those like myself & pretty much all my mates voted for a 3rd party NZF.

Gotta say, think Maori Party will be King Maker. Like it or Lump it. Never voted for them before, but it what it is. 

The boomers will hate this lol. Be interesting whom Gen Z will vote for hey.

Edited by karrotsishere

32 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Never knew of drivers raising their arms though. Don't think you're allowed to put the reins in one hand these days are you. ? 

Not with a horse behind you but on bends I have seen them guide horses to. Keep it safe.

I just don't think punching is the way to go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karrotsishere said:

Could you please provide me with a pic, screen shot of Cox connecting with the horse. Just post here. Thanks. 

I was going to, but then thought why? 

You have already seen it. You slow motioned it, and freeze framed it. 

By posting a photo of it on here, and it gets into the wrong hands (the anti-racing brigade) and it'll be bad news all round.

So what's the point of sticking a photo of it up on here? Anyone can go and watch the race online. 

Everyone makes mistakes, and if J Cox had his time again, he probably wouldn't have done what he did on Sunday. Even the driver next to him, travelling on the inside, was looking at him like WTF are you doing?! 

Must have been a new helmet. They are expensive. Cost of living crisis and that. 

Lightning Blue is right. The ole head flick by the driver would have been a much better option, than throwing multiple punches with a closed fist. 

It kind of reminds me of my childhood. Dad driving his car, with the right hand on the steering wheel, and using the left hand trying to whack us smart arse kids in the back seat with his jandal. Was fine and all good back in the day. But the world has changed. 

11 hours ago, Rusty said:

Must have been a new helmet. They are expensive. Cost of living crisis and that.

hahaha ..thats a ripper .I remember this one driver once , who was going completely off his nut when the horse's returned to the stable area after a race. His brand new $200 special paint job on his helmet had a 'horse tooth chip mark' on the back of it . hahaha. 

3 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Just to me didnt look like he made contact with horse hence wanted proof he did.

I think whatever Cox was doing unsettled the race running a little , even if contact was not made. The driver of the trailing horse behind him, elected to leave that nice trailing position a lap out (Robbie Holmes) and circled to the deathseat rather than have Cox having his arm flailing about in his horses face. possibly what a lot of drivers would of done in that circumstance. Kiwi Hero Stuck on well for 3rd afterwards too .

No one has mentioned the effort of Robbie Holmes , or lack of ,it to keep his horse from hitting Cox,s head which Im sure he could see quite plainly. If anything Holmes should have been questioned about his driving manner which clearly antagonised the driver in front of him, resulting in the (so called ) offence in question.

On 5/11/2023 at 7:03 PM, Globederby19 said:

No one has mentioned the effort of Robbie Holmes , or lack of ,it to keep his horse from hitting Cox,s head which Im sure he could see quite plainly. If anything Holmes should have been questioned about his driving manner which clearly antagonised the driver in front of him, resulting in the (so called ) offence in question.

Drivers don't get pulled up on this.

They probably should. 

7 days for Cox.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hey cuties, well just checked result a bit of a suspension. 

Im still in J Cox corner. Yes he didnt handle it well, if a horse was right up mine & made me feel uncomfortable to a point I swung to take a punch then, that says it all. He did connect as per stripes report. So got that wrong. Another thing Id like to point out is a 500kg horse going say 20kms right up behind you, imagine that going straight into your neck, easily break it. 

Im not up to play on anything else just checked Akl Cup results, took a quick peak while looking at stripes & saw J Teaz been done for online bad language. Lol. Are the stripes RIB for real. Pleased not an owner or licensee or anything now. No wonder Enteebee got out.  

So RIB has time to fine Teaz for free speech but seemingly is doing nothing while other more allegelly sinister things go on.

Another thing Id like to point out is a 500kg horse going say 20kms right up behind you, imagine that going straight into your neck, easily break it. 

I've done what you said, and imagined it.

No way in the world it's going to break my neck. Because, I'm moving too. And moving in the exact same direction, as the horse behind me. And I dare say, and hope, that it would be a damn sight quicker than 20k's an hour! 

Now time for others to imagine something.

Imagine if the horse being punched, broke, went into a mad gallop, crashed, and brought half the field down. There have been multiple incidents on race tracks in the last 6 months where horses have hit the deck, causing horses in behind to fall, with jockeys going to ground and getting instantly killed. Helmets and vests didn't save them, and they were taken far, far too soon from their friends, family and loved ones. 

That is just one reason, and possible scenario, as to why we can't have people punching horses during the running of races where they can be going in excess of 50km per hour, and as you've rightly pointed out, it's 500kg of meat, combined with bits of metal, it may not end well. And that's an understatement. 

saw J Teaz been done for online bad language. Lol. Are the stripes RIB for real. Pleased not an owner or licensee or anything now. No wonder Enteebee got out.  

So RIB has time to fine Teaz for free speech but seemingly is doing nothing while other more allegelly sinister things go on.

100% agree. 

I actually thought I was having my leg pulled when someone told me about it. 

It's b.s. What a joke. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

I've done what you said, and imagined it.

No way in the world it's going to break my neck. Because, I'm moving too. And moving in the exact same direction, as the horse behind me. And I dare say, and hope, that it would be a damn sight quicker than 20k's an hour! 

Now time for others to imagine something.

Imagine if the horse being punched, broke, went into a mad gallop, crashed, and brought half the field down. There have been multiple incidents on race tracks in the last 6 months where horses have hit the deck, causing horses in behind to fall, with jockeys going to ground and getting instantly killed. Helmets and vests didn't save them, and they were taken far, far too soon from their friends, family and loved ones. 

That is just one reason, and possible scenario, as to why we can't have people punching horses during the running of races where they can be going in excess of 50km per hour, and as you've rightly pointed out, it's 500kg of meat, combined with bits of metal, it may not end well. And that's an understatement. 

Overall your right re shouldnt of punched. What Im saying & always have is I can understand why he lashed out. 

Re traveling at same spend. But they werent, thats why the horse behind him was hitting him. Take a car what happens when car infront suddenly stops or slows & your tailgating. Who is at fault in that sito when back car hits car infront. I cant stand it when someone tail gates me. Be like back up the bus. 

But yes agree shouldnt of punched. Maybe a slap that wouldnt of been as bad. Like the W Smith, C Rock slap hahaha.

Edited by karrotsishere