The Race Place

Erin Leighton Fundraiser - can you help?

Maximus

OK peeps, here's the thing:

This young woman is demonstrating remarkable courage and fortitude going public with her experiences of abuse at the hands of a predator.

Max is by no means wealthy but I reckon that her fight, her cause, her suffering is worthy of some assistance/relief, so this is what I am doing.

• Launching a fund to assist Erin in paying legal and related costs
  • The fund is open now and will close on 23 December 2023. ALL funds deposited into that account will transferred to her nominated bank account on 24 December 2023

It doesn't matter to me if we raise $100 or $10,000. It's about giving real support to a brave woman who is challenging 'the system' that has let her down.

• Bank account details: 12-3099-0086230-50 (This a/c was previously used to raise funds for Maija Vance(

Max is beginning this fundraiser with a personal donation of $100.00

Read Erin' s story here:

'I'm not scared of them': Victim's new life after 16 year battle for justice over indecent assaults (newstalkzb.co.nz)

MM

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the thing:

Max wants to help and doesn't really care what she does with any money raised. Hers is one of any number of worthy causes, and her courage over a long period of time (including the decision to waive name suppression) struck a chord. And Erin has been a contributor to the NZ racing industry.

If for any reason financial assistance is refused, the $$ will be returned to the donors pro rata.

It's no skin off Maxi's mustelidian nose if he's the only one prepared to donate. The account is open and will remain open until 5pm 23 December.

MM

• Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 9:24 PM, Maximus said:

Here's the thing:

Max wants to help and doesn't really care what she does with any money raised. Hers is one of any number of worthy causes, and her courage over a long period of time (including the decision to waive name suppression) struck a chord. And Erin has been a contributor to the NZ racing industry.

If for any reason financial assistance is refused, the $$ will be returned to the donors pro rata.

It's no skin off Maxi's mustelidian nose if he's the only one prepared to donate. The account is open and will remain open until 5pm 23 December.

MM

Max I am with you and I have made a donation of $100.00 too.  

• 1 month later...

Erin emailed me to say firstly that she thought this thread might be a scam (which it isn't), and if it wasn't, she was somewhat embarrassed by the initiative even though it was well meaning, and preferred that any money donated was forwarded to a mental health cause.

I will leave it up to Maxi to wind up and either pick some good cause or refund those that have contributed.

Thanks

2 hours ago, curious said:

Maxi said above that if the financial assistance was declined, it would be returned to donors pro rata. I don't see how you can gift it to someone that donors didn't donate it for, without their consent.

Absolutely agree. I am not happy for a number of reasons, but first and foremost, what curious has said. 

Private message message me for the other couple.

P.S. I was totally in support of the idea, but.....

Edited by Buller Rep

Hi everyone, Erin here. Firstly, thank you from the bottom of my heart for caring! The first 7 years of this case I was swept under the carpet by police who were made a mockery of by these prolific criminals playing cat and mouse and also really badly bullied. As you can imagine at 15 it turned me into a hermit, one with a real burden. At 21 I’d had enough and I opted out of my name suppression so I could have a crack at solving my own case and putting a stop to these creatures. I was so overwhelmed by the support and still find it hard to accept sometimes. I’m now 31 and finally had them convicted this year and I’m so ready to just live my life now. Financial benefit was never any part of my decision for name suppression being removed, and luckily, it was a crown court case, so I didn’t incur any legal fees. It probably financially has cost me, having a hand break on my career, always fighting a court case in the background of my apprenticeship wasn’t easy, but more than anything it’s cost me a lot of my life (over half my life has been spent in the system!) and at times, my happiness. Sadly, not even money can bring those things back. As amazing of a gesture this was, I know there are many others fighting their own battles and really struggling. I would so love a worthy non profit, mental health organisation to have this money. Open to ideas if gumboot Friday won’t accept it. Failing this, a reputable, non profit horse welfare group would be fantastic too. The horses saved me, and I’ve been so lucky to have a life working with them.

Thanks again, everyone, truly, it means the world having people in my corner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, EML said:

Hi everyone, Erin here. Firstly, thank you from the bottom of my heart for caring! The first 7 years of this case I was swept under the carpet by police who were made a mockery of by these prolific criminals playing cat and mouse and also really badly bullied. As you can imagine at 15 it turned me into a hermit, one with a real burden. At 21 I’d had enough and I opted out of my name suppression so I could have a crack at solving my own case and putting a stop to these creatures. I was so overwhelmed by the support and still find it hard to accept sometimes. I’m now 31 and finally had them convicted this year and I’m so ready to just live my life now. Financial benefit was never any part of my decision for name suppression being removed, and luckily, it was a crown court case, so I didn’t incur any legal fees. It probably financially has cost me, having a hand break on my career, always fighting a court case in the background of my apprenticeship wasn’t easy, but more than anything it’s cost me a lot of my life (over half my life has been spent in the system!) and at times, my happiness. Sadly, not even money can bring those things back. As amazing of a gesture this was, I know there are many others fighting their own battles and really struggling. I would so love a worthy non profit, mental health organisation to have this money. Open to ideas if gumboot Friday won’t accept it. Failing this, a reputable, non profit horse welfare group would be fantastic too. The horses saved me, and I’ve been so lucky to have a life working with them.

Thanks again, everyone, truly, it means the world having people in my corner.

What a lovely message. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1