The Race Place

Say My Name ...

Maximus

Debutante tomorrow in R3 VENT DIVIN

In its trial George pronounced it Vent Dievin (as in diving)

It's french, Georgie Boy ...pronounced ...Von Divahn   (means divine wind, the mother is Candle In The Wind)

Someone on this site is bound to know Georgie Boy...please pass it on, preferably before the race!)

MM

• Like 1

15 hours ago, barryb said:

Oh mate, no one fucking cares, if you call a horse (or a kid) a stupid name then it’s your job (trainers) to inform George, otherwise expect it to be called all sorts of shit.

By & large the commentators do a great job in NZ, esp when it comes to non English horse names.

I don't agree. A little effort to pronounce names correctly, whatever language, seems like basic professionalism to me.

• Like 2

I have to agree with Curious here, Reon Murtha would make it his business to find out any preferred pronunciation, Mark Mac too.  Not hard, and as said, basic professionalism.  If your job is speech, then be as accurate as possible.   Same as working with figures [ something I would never do! ]

• Like 3

I well remember Reon walking around the back parade ring at Riccarton talking to handlers, owners and trainers about just  that and making notes in his book. True professional. Blaming those that name the horses is just laziness.

1 hour ago, barryb said:

Same as horse training Freda, but significant numbers in NZ are not even close to customer service or professionalism.

Yes and this is a small, you might say trivial, thing. However it's all part of the image of our product that we present to the world and this one's an easy fix. I don't hear other sports commentators mispronouncing names.

Edited by curious
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, curious said:

Yes and this is a small, you might say trivial, thing. However it's all part of the image of our product that we present to the world and this one's an easy fix.

A point well-made Brent, how you present your product to the world, as it is all about perception

2 other examples

Owners who call their horses with the same prefix or suffix, the Platinum's for example.  Now you could say they have a right to call their horse whatever they want, but it is bloody confusing to the punter, who after all, pay the bills through their punting losses

Owners who call their horse a name that is a real-world name, then insist on a completely weird or foreign pronunciation, eg Aigne.  Now they can do what they like, but it does come across as arrogance

• Like 1

Talking about how the racing product is presented to the world, nice to see someone like Krystal Williams being interviewed, and the first time I have seen him talk, Robbie Patterson, who wants to fully support that West Coast circuit, calls a spade a spade, no bs and really comes across as a kiwi bloke

• Like 1

Don’t worry guys, it happens in Australia too. I am just watching R6 with Pogacar obviously named after the Tour de France winner Tadej Pogacar.

They pronounced it POGA CAR

Obviously they don’t follow cycling. 

Edited by Buller Rep

• 2 weeks later...