The Race Place

NFL super bowl

ngakonui grass

1 hour ago, brown fox said:

Should introduce the Ameican public to the NRL so they can see some real athletes.😏

Pretty sure that the Roosters v Broncos and Rabbitohs v Sea Eagle play in Las Vegas in a double header to kicks this years comp off.March 2

Edited by ngakonui grass

Top team sports in USA are

NFL by a mile

Basketball

Baseball

Ice Hockey

Soccer

You wouldn't think sport existed outside USA when you are there.  They don't need anything else or anyone else.  The papers, internet and TV are all about American sport.

They have spent billions on getting Soccer established, but it will never come close to NFL.

To grow NRL they need more countries playing league, but they struggle in their own country, with states like WA and Victoria, dominated by Aussie rules

Most Americans would find league boring after NFL, and remember they have a pool about 20 times larger than Aus, so it is simple maths as to why NFL players dominate over NRL players.

They have had a small number of NRL players try NFL, but never did much.  Possibly more technique than athletic ability, who knows

1 hour ago, mardigras said:

Most American focused sports are boring - well to me anyway. They have mastered the art of taking a game and extending the time it takes to play it beyond the realms of sanity. 

Yep...perhaps with the exception of rugby union. The bloke Molloy from Super Rugby Pacific executive was on the wireless a day or two ago discussing the challenges facing 'Super Rugby Pacific'.

The challenges are there in the name:

It ain't Super in the eyes of its dwindling support base
It's called Rugby but is far less 'super/exciting/or compelling to players/fans than rugby league
It's geographic base now limited to the (South) Pacific condemns it to a poor future or no future at all.

They would be better off putting the money into revitalising and fully professionalising the (NZ) NPC, playing it as a 6-month League (like EPL or NRL) and selling the broadcasting rights to the rest of the world.

MM

Americans in general don't give a rat's arse about sport anywhere else in the world.  The NFL, NBA and MLB are so huge, that they don't need to.  They have hugely successful competitions within their own country's boundaries, bigger and more successful than we could ever hope to dream about, so why bother about anywhere else.  They have a point.

2 hours ago, Hesi said:

Americans in general don't give a rat's arse about sport anywhere else in the world.  The NFL, NBA and MLB are so huge, that they don't need to.  They have hugely successful competitions within their own country's boundaries, bigger and more successful than we could ever hope to dream about, so why bother about anywhere else.  They have a point.

I think this comment isn't a sports comment. Americans in general don't give a rat's arse about anything outside of America. They would be the most insular nation 'generally' I have ever come across. And I'd say, I'm pretty well traveled. It is their biggest flaw. 

That merely translates into the same views on sport. They don't know about anything else and think all that is important is their own little world.

Edited by mardigras
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, mardigras said:

Most American focused sports are boring - well to me anyway. They have mastered the art of taking a game and extending the time it takes to play it beyond the realms of sanity. 

Ditto to that. As a Canadian friend of mine keeps saying about the Good ole US of A. " The land of excess"......