The Race Place

Neil Wagner

pete

Retiring after the Aussie tests.

What a workhorse he's been for NZ cricket. Not the most talented bowler you'd ever see but more than made up for that with sheer guts and determination.

He'll be missed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pete said:

Retiring after the Aussie tests.

What a workhorse he's been for NZ cricket. Not the most talented bowler you'd ever see but more than made up for that with sheer guts and determination.

He'll be missed.

Has done really well. Not that stats always tell the story, but he has the highest number of wickets per innings of all NZ test bowlers with at least 100 wickets, excluding the great Sir Richard Hadlee. And as good an average per wicket as Boult (and better than Southee). Often under-rated and gives it everything.

• Like 2

He has retired after being told he would not be required for the 2 Aussie tests, so was not considered

He will turn 38 on the last day of the second test, so no real mileage left in him, better to blood a younger player, which they have done in Ben Sears, who bowls with pace and bounce

• Like 1

Max is looking forward to seeing what Sears can fo with the new-ish red cherry. I do hope they don't play Kuggeleijn, but instinct tells me they will not drop hime after one Test. Neither he nor Nicholls would be in Maxi's squad.
Dont think they'll drop Latham - his Test record is too good.
Max reckons this is the 12 Stead will pick:
Latham, Young, Williamson, Ravindra, Mitchell, Phillips, Blundell, Santner, Henry, Southee, Sears, Kuggeleijn.

Apart from being a first-choice spin bowler, Santner can bat, has a Test century v England to his credit, and has a safe pair of hands.
I'd be inclined to play him if there's any chance of Hagley taking turn, and SK can carry the drinks as punishment for having a 2nd-ball slog and getting out at the Basin.

LOL

Way back in the day Stead was my cricket coach (I was 12/13 years old). He suggested a big change to my run up for bowling. It was God awful and the subsequent results were pitiful. Makes me laugh now, but at the time I was so mad at him. "Get more springy. Bounce!" He would yell at me. I reverted back to my former run up (more of a walk up, being a leg spinner, based on S.K Warne's delivery style) and by season's end the wickets flowed. 

The following season my cricket team coach was Craig McMillan. Personally I found him to be a much better cricket coach than Stead, although he was often distracted by the fairer sex and was easily distracted. 

Both good guys though. And both put in a lot of time helping the young cricketers at local clubs. 

Stead and Southee should have gone with Wagner for Hagley Oval though. And everyone that knows, knows it. 

14 hours ago, Hesi said:

Interesting comments Rusty, thanks.

So, how do you see this next test playing out

I've got my 5-day match pass ready, along with hat, deck chair, sunscreen, a "BRING BACK WAGS" banner, drink, food, and enough car parking coins to cover for three and half days. I'm pretty sure that's all I'll need. 

Australia will win fairly comfortably.

No sign of rain anywhere in the forecast. 

NZ bowlers will struggle to take 20 Aussie wickets for the match. The Aussie batters, as a collective, haven't quite clicked into gear for a while now, so they are overdue. 

Southee doesn't have the tactical nous as captain to get up over Australia. That 10th wicket partnership at the Basin was embarrassing. To not throw Phillips the ball in the first innings at all, (yet use 6 other bowlers), and then he comes out in the 2nd innings to take a five-for is beyond belief.

Fingers crossed Ben Sears will let rip, and do well. 

Williamson. As much as I love him, he needs to fire up for this game. A deer in headlights v Australia, he is. Doesn't usually excel against them. 

Australia at $1.46 is overs. 

• Thanks 1

Cant see it going beyond four days the way the Blackcaps are batting. Williamson is the only one with the patience and technique to fend off the Ozzies for very long - as shown by Ravindra's dreadful swipe at Hazlewood in the LAST OVER BEFORE LUNCH. I hope he is learning some harsh lessons quickly - ie there are much better bowlers than the S Africa D team at Bay Oval. Latham looked to be getting in the groove and the wicket should be ideal for batting by the time Smith and Labuschagne get in.

MM

Edited by Maximus