Jump to content
The Race Place

A few questions then about Racing and Level 3


Hesi
 Share

Recommended Posts

Will it be allowed.  NZTR seems to think so, or are they anticipating a further fairly quick move down to Level 2, or do they know something because of communications with MPI

Will the TAB outlets be able to open in some form, eg access to use the self service machines

Will punters flock back to NZ racing when it starts, if it starts on July 1.  What is it that they say, about losing a customer and how hard it is to get them back.  By July 1, how many punters will have become used to Aus racing(which lets face it, at even provincial level is better than a lot of NZ stuff), more familiar with the horses and form, so are happy to keep a higher proportion of their wagering with Aus racing

The dread of any business, being unable to supply, so customers look elsewhere, like the new alternative, so a proportion of them stay with it

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cautious optimism following PM's announcement

  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter
Mary Burgess
20 April 2020

 The announcement this afternoon by Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, that New Zealand would move to Alert Level 3 from 11.59pm on Monday, 27 April, was greeted with cautious optimism by NZTR.

 

The Prime Minister said that following two weeks at Alert level 3, a further review and alert level decision will be made on May 11.

Over the past few weeks NZTR has developed protocols to enable training, trialling and racing to be safely conducted under COVID-19 levels 3 and 2.  The measures outlined within the protocols include strategies adopted in NSW and Victoria which have allowed for the successful continuation of racing in those states.

NZTR, with the assistance of RITA, has ensured that government has been fully informed of the measures proposed and the structure of regulated compliance within the industry to ensure they are adhered to.

While today’s announcement is promising it is not a confirmation that we will automatically return to racing.   The industry’s protocols must first meet the requirements of several government departments – DIA, MPI, MBIE and Worksafe – before permission is granted to allow the industry to return to the track.

Racing is not the only industry going through this process however, we are confident that with the focus and support of our participants we will be well positioned to respond to the restrictions under alert level 3.

NZTR will advise our participants as soon as we have a clear sign-off by government regarding when we will be able to return to training, trialling and racing.  At that stage the protocols will be circulated to industry participants.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Hesi said:

Cautious optimism following PM's announcement

  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter
Mary Burgess
20 April 2020

 The announcement this afternoon by Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, that New Zealand would move to Alert Level 3 from 11.59pm on Monday, 27 April, was greeted with cautious optimism by NZTR.

 

The Prime Minister said that following two weeks at Alert level 3, a further review and alert level decision will be made on May 11.

Over the past few weeks NZTR has developed protocols to enable training, trialling and racing to be safely conducted under COVID-19 levels 3 and 2.  The measures outlined within the protocols include strategies adopted in NSW and Victoria which have allowed for the successful continuation of racing in those states.

NZTR, with the assistance of RITA, has ensured that government has been fully informed of the measures proposed and the structure of regulated compliance within the industry to ensure they are adhered to.

While today’s announcement is promising it is not a confirmation that we will automatically return to racing.   The industry’s protocols must first meet the requirements of several government departments – DIA, MPI, MBIE and Worksafe – before permission is granted to allow the industry to return to the track.

Racing is not the only industry going through this process however, we are confident that with the focus and support of our participants we will be well positioned to respond to the restrictions under alert level 3.

NZTR will advise our participants as soon as we have a clear sign-off by government regarding when we will be able to return to training, trialling and racing.  At that stage the protocols will be circulated to industry participants.

 

One of the industries I am involved with, the Flower Auctions in Auckland, was able to send a bulk email to all suppliers, at 5.30pm yesterday, advising the first auction would be Tuesday April 28, with a long list of protocols and operating procedures that had been agreed with MPI, MBIE and Worksafe, that had to be adhered to.

I'm just wondering why the racing industry, was not able to be in a similar position to advise of a more definite answer in terms of a return to racing, with maybe dates to be confirmed.

Instead we see provisoes of protocols still having to be met, a sign off still required??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

By the way Curious, great to read of the positive attitude you have with respect to new opportunities and ways of operating that all of this will provide.  Get sick of reading about the mainly politically motivated doomsayers telling us how bad it will all be..

Funnily enough, they seem to be people who have not really been affected by the situation

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Hesi said:

One of the industries I am involved with, the Flower Auctions in Auckland, was able to send a bulk email to all suppliers, at 5.30pm yesterday, advising the first auction would be Tuesday April 28, with a long list of protocols and operating procedures that had been agreed with MPI, MBIE and Worksafe, that had to be adhered to.

I'm just wondering why the racing industry, was not able to be in a similar position to advise of a more definite answer in terms of a return to racing, with maybe dates to be confirmed.

Instead we see provisoes of protocols still having to be met, a sign off still required??

Possibly because they need to be given some form of clarification as to whether what they may want to do, conforms to Level 3 definition. So they want clarity. I'm only guessing as I don't know how the rules affect them under level 3.

I'm assuming your auctions would have to be 100% online with contactless pick-up. Is that correct? I've a mate that runs flower Auctions down Wellington/Grenada way. I don't think customers will be able to attend in person, even though a lot don't anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep that is 100% correct, auctions via the Cloud system and contactless drop off and pick up.

But surely these are all protocols that the industry has worked through over the last few weeks and got the go ahead on once there was a drop to Level 3.  The racing industry seems again to be slow off the mark, and it's not like they have heaps of other priorities.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Yep that is 100% correct, auctions via the Cloud system and contactless drop off and pick up.

But surely these are all protocols that the industry has worked through over the last few weeks and got the go ahead on once there was a drop to Level 3.  The racing industry seems again to be slow off the mark, and it's not like they have heaps of other priorities.

I think some of the areas of sports are still a little vague. I would hope they have been working on them as you say, but maybe they are still awaiting final confirmation - many of these things relating to Level 4 were altered/enhanced during the Level 4 period itself.

I would say things like showjumping are equally a little vague, not just horse riding and related activities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Still get this perception of lack of urgency

For me, there is no need for real urgency. I don't know if they were planning on any racing prior to August, but I would have just gone with none. Then resume what they will be allowed to do under Level 2 in order to get horses prepared for August onwards. There is typically very little betting on NZ thoroughbreds in June/July. Save the stakemoney otherwise paid out. Spend the time developing a new way of operating that considers their revenue stream and how best to use it, along with other ways of changing the landscape around running races/handicapping/integrity/stakes/management/maintenance. 

There have been many calls in the past to have NZ racing shut down for 3 months of the year. That's effectively what would happen (although in these circumstances, it would be a little over 4). It could be one of the items tabled for consideration. Close down NZ racing during these months - or have a national hunt type program only. Based on a program relative to the number of horses available regionally to create a limited schedule - but one that may be able to grow over time if enthusiasm for such a program increases.

Edited by mardigras
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Lack of urgency in terms of giving the industry clear direction.  Perhaps as you say, they don't know.

Well yes, they should have. Pretty easy I would have thought. Here's a sample clear message for participants that I would have given.

Nothing changes until Level 2. Carry on doing nothing except maintaining horse welfare. When Level 2 comes in, start planning on a resumption of racing on August 1. A schedule to be released prior to Level 2 starting so that you can consider how to plan for that resumption.

How does that sound?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Well yes, they should have. Pretty easy I would have thought. Here's a sample clear message for participants that I would have given.

Nothing changes until Level 2. Carry on doing nothing except maintaining horse welfare. When Level 2 comes in, start planning on a resumption of racing on August 1. A schedule to be released prior to Level 2 starting so that you can consider how to plan for that resumption.

How does that sound?

Pretty good, and it was free:classic_smile:

Do you know if the protocols developed by NZTR/RITA had been published.

If not, as a simple addendum to your message, a list of the protocols submitted for info only

With the flower auctions, we knew, even although not confirmed, what to expect about 10 days ago, so no surprises

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Racing industry encouraged to provide feedback on draft racing calendar

21 April 2020
HARNESS_178112351.jpg

The Racing Industry Transition Agency (RITA) has today issued a revised DRAFT 19/20 racing calendar for consultation with the New Zealand racing industry.

The resumption of racing is subject to meeting appropriate COVID-19 Alert Level requirements.

The revised calendar proposes the initial resumption of greyhound racing on 11 May, harness racing on 29 May and thoroughbred racing beginning 3 July and includes a significant reduction in the number of racing venues from 36 to 12 in order to minimise travel and centralise racing as close as possible to the participants and animals. All meetings will be closed to the public.

The RITA Dates Committee, who determine the Annual Dates Calendar, have a legislative requirement to consult with each of the recognised industry organisations on the proposed dates, allocation, and conditions.

Dean McKenzie, Executive Chair of RITA said the draft calendar provided a starting point for a conversation within the racing industry on a schedule of race meetings that reflected the impact of COVID-19.

“The draft calendar reflects the industry’s commitment to ensure any resumption of racing includes  measures to restrict travel, minimise interactions and keep all participants safe. 

“RITA is actively working with a number of Government organisations to ensure the industry’s protocols and rules meet Alert Level 2 and 3 restrictions prior to the resumption of any racing. These discussions have benefited from the response prior to moving to Alert Level 4 and from Australia, where racing has continued under strict restrictions.

“We recognise that the draft calendar, which was developed with the racing codes, presents a very different pattern of racing for the last few months of the year than was originally proposed. But if we are to resume racing this season, we must give ourselves every chance of doing that safely and minimise the threat of COVID-19.”

The draft calendar covers the period 11 May to 31 July 2020 and consultation closes on 28 April, with a final calendar issued on 4 May.

Draft 19/20 Racing Calendar Proposed Amendments - Summary

Greyhound Racing

  • Return to racing as soon as practical with draft start in early May, subject to meeting relevant COVID-19 protocols
  • For the balance of the season, propose to run 9.25 meetings a week at six venues
  • Pre COVID-19 calendar had nine meetings a week at seven venues
  • Full meetings scheduled for Invercargill and Dunedin to be transferred to Christchurch to be closer to racing population and support intent to restrict travel
  • Three races to be scheduled for Southern trained dogs to enable dual meetings with Invercargill harness

Harness Racing

  • Aims to resume racing on 29 May, subject to meeting relevant COVID-19 protocols
  • Amended draft calendar has 37 meetings at four venues
  • Pre COVID-19 calendar had 36 meetings at 10 venues in the same period
  • Racing restricted to three regions (North, Canterbury, Southland) with travel of participants restricted to their regions

Thoroughbred Racing

  • Aim to resume racing on 3 July
  • Amended draft calendar has 13 meetings at six venues
  • Pre COVID-19 calendar had 20 meetings at 17 venues in the same period
  • Racing restricted to four regions (Northern, Central, Canterbury, Southland) with travel of participants restricted to their regions
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/21/2020 at 9:02 AM, Hesi said:

Yep that is 100% correct, auctions via the Cloud system and contactless drop off and pick up.

But surely these are all protocols that the industry has worked through over the last few weeks and got the go ahead on once there was a drop to Level 3.  The racing industry seems again to be slow off the mark, and it's not like they have heaps of other priorities.

 

 

it's not like they have heaps of other priorities.

well, long before Covid came along to spoil our fun, lovely RITA's only priority was a complete restructure/revamp/reset of the entire industry, legislation for which legislation was being drafted/considered prior to Cabinet sign-off by no later than 30 June.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...