The Race Place

Just how much blood can you get out of a stone

Hesi

Yep, just provides fodder for the anti-racing brigade.

I suppose the comeback will be, the horse was fit and happy to be racing, or it would not still be racing.  How would they know.

I'll ask the question again, when you have run and won G2 in Aus, what is the point going around in maiden hurdle races

I don't actually blame the people that bought the horse in NZ. I believe the same ownership have Gallante.

It's the Williams obsession with the Melbourne Cup that ends up with these horses spat out the other end.

As I said before, they're merely commodities.

• Like 1

Pretty sure Van der Hum finished his career over the sticks 

I think I remember this as I was thinking at the time If I owned a Melbourne Cup winner there is no way I’d put it over the sticks each to their own I guess

Edited by VC!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Assign

Well performed in Ireland, ran in a Melbourne Cup, won a Herbert Power, 700K in the bank, ends his days in a lowly maiden hurdle in Rotorua.

What's the point?

Unless you want to ban racing why shouldn't a horse that enjoys racing (and some love a few hurdles in the way too) be sent around by owners who enjoy racing him? Unless he was being sent round unfit to race then it's all good, no?

27 minutes ago, LookingForValue said:

Van Der Hum won the Waikato Hurdles & Hawkes Bay Hurdles. Euthanised 4 days before his 30th birthday.

Great to hear Keith Haub then the next video is his horse McGinty beating Marscay  with a minute back to third

He was some horse that McGinty he was even in the Mr Ed category 

McGinty looked up at me and winked where’s Beaufort Lass Haubie

Edited by VC!

The first 'recognised' NH visitor and winner to Melbourne for the cup was also a hurdler. Won over hurdles before ever running in the cup. Max Dynamite another Cup performer to run over the sticks. 

Not sure about the fitness of the horse and no one wants to see horses die and I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment of the thread. But some horses do perform on both the flat and the jumps.

On 7/27/2019 at 10:53 PM, mardigras said:

The first 'recognised' NH visitor and winner to Melbourne for the cup was also a hurdler. Won over hurdles before ever running in the cup. Max Dynamite another Cup performer to run over the sticks. 

Not sure about the fitness of the horse and no one wants to see horses die and I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment of the thread. But some horses do perform on both the flat and the jumps.

Former Sydney Cup winner Stand To Gain lost form and went to Victoria after being sold ...won a Galleywood Hudle at Warrnamool and was placed 2nd in three consecutive Grand Nationals. There is a nice video about him on racing.com website ...he is now a dressage horse and clearly very much 'part of the family' at the stable!

Edited by Maximus