The Race Place

Gatting

Hesi

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

The only chance you had of picking this horse(unless your name was Thommo), was if you were a keen cricket follower, so what happened Maxi

Mike Gatting of course being a former England great, who apparently hit the ball harder than anyone else

A bit harsh. Has shown very good ability. And if you like jockeys, Jamie Kah is about as good as any. Paid well over the realistic odds for me. Probably due to last start where most punters consider most result form. G3 winner over 1600m, G2 winner over 1400m, G1 second over 1600m. All around the likes of Galaxy Star and in very good times. WA Derby winner also. Ability wise, is right up there.

2 hours ago, Hesi said:

The only chance you had of picking this horse(unless your name was Thommo), was if you were a keen cricket follower, so what happened Maxi

Mike Gatting of course being a former England great, who apparently hit the ball harder than anyone else

His brother Paul Gatting played midfield/defence for Arsenal !

43 minutes ago, mardigras said:

A bit harsh. Has shown very good ability. And if you like jockeys, Jamie Kah is about as good as any. Paid well over the realistic odds for me. Probably due to last start where most punters consider most result form. G3 winner over 1600m, G2 winner over 1400m, G1 second over 1600m. All around the likes of Galaxy Star and in very good times. WA Derby winner also. Ability wise, is right up there.

Yep probably right Mardi

The stewards were wondering as well(good headline)

Stewards in a spin over Gatting

Racing Article

Andrew Eddy & Grace Ramage@fastisheddy & @gramage_

6:05pm

, (

Racegoers at Flemington weren’t the only ones stunned with the $101 win of Gatting in the $750,000 G1 Makybe Diva Stakes (1600m).

Racing Victoria stewards were also having trouble working out how the horse could improve so sharply from a beaten run at Belmont in a listed race to winning one of the biggest Group 1 mile races of the spring at Flemington.

So chief steward Robert Cram called in trainer Darren McAuliffe to explain.

"Last start he had a terrible ride," McAuliffe said.

"They went really slowly and he was way too keen and over-raced and today he was given the perfect ride.

"He’s a horse with great aerobic capacity. The faster they go the better he goes and we saw that today,

"He’s a (WA) Derby winner and he ran second in the Railway in the quickest time."

McAuliffe was asked whether he believed the horse could win.

"To be honest, no," he said.

"The market indicated that. I told connections that I would be happy if we were hitting the line."

7 hours ago, Hesi said:

Yep probably right Mardi

The stewards were wondering as well(good headline)

Stewards in a spin over Gatting

Racing Article

Andrew Eddy & Grace Ramage@fastisheddy & @gramage_

6:05pm

, (

Racegoers at Flemington weren’t the only ones stunned with the $101 win of Gatting in the $750,000 G1 Makybe Diva Stakes (1600m).

Racing Victoria stewards were also having trouble working out how the horse could improve so sharply from a beaten run at Belmont in a listed race to winning one of the biggest Group 1 mile races of the spring at Flemington.

So chief steward Robert Cram called in trainer Darren McAuliffe to explain.

"Last start he had a terrible ride," McAuliffe said.

"They went really slowly and he was way too keen and over-raced and today he was given the perfect ride.

"He’s a horse with great aerobic capacity. The faster they go the better he goes and we saw that today,

"He’s a (WA) Derby winner and he ran second in the Railway in the quickest time."

McAuliffe was asked whether he believed the horse could win.

"To be honest, no," he said.

"The market indicated that. I told connections that I would be happy if we were hitting the line."

And stewards are also looking at the difference from one start to the next. Horses aren't robots. They don't always demonstrate their full capability and things don't always go right for them. My entire form/pricing methods revolve around assessing ability, then determining whether the horse fits the scenario of this race and its competition, and then I work out the confidence I have that the horse will deliver that under the track conditions etc.

Which is why I didn't regard the Metric Mile as a betting proposition. I felt the most capable horses were unlikely to deliver to their ability.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PWJ said:

His brother Paul Gatting played midfield/defence for Arsenal !

Was actually Steve Gatting PJ. Moved to Brighton after Arsenal and played for us for 10 years including the 1983 Cup Final that we should have won.

Smith must score...

He didn't 😭

On 9/14/2019 at 8:20 PM, Hesi said:

except when facing Warnie! (in which case he was as blind as a bat)

• Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 7:22 AM, pete said:

Was actually Steve Gatting PJ. Moved to Brighton after Arsenal and played for us for 10 years including the 1983 Cup Final that we should have won.

Smith must score...

He didn't 😭

Quite right mate ! My memory is fading. Remember the Cup Final well though !

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Maximus said:

except when facing Warnie! (in which case he was as blind as a bat)

A face saving win for the Poms, even though they miss out on The Ashes.

Love the lunch break items, the one with Steve Waugh.

Hasn't broad got Warner's number though

5 hours ago, Hesi said:

A face saving win for the Poms, even though they miss out on The Ashes.

Love the lunch break items, the one with Steve Waugh.

Hasn't broad got Warner's number though

i have a smidgeon of sympathy for Warner ...no, make that NO sympathy for a cheating Ozzie blaggard, he deserves the misery ..my initial empathy stemmed from knowing the perils of being a left-handed swashbuckling opening bat against a bloke who can move the ball both ways ...basic strategy in my case was close the eyes and have a go !!

Edited by Maximus
  • Haha 1

I looked this up from 2003, The Australian Spirit of Cricket

Long gone, let me know when you stop laughing

The Spirit of Cricket involves respect for opponents, captains, teams, umpires and the game’s traditional values. To this end, it is against the spirit of the game to:
dispute umpires’ decisions by word, action or gesture
abuse an opponent or umpire
indulge in cheating or sharp practice, for example:
-appealing when you know a batsman is not out
-advancing towards an umpire aggressively when appealing
-distracting an opponent verbally or by harassment