The Race Place

Hey Gammalite

Mike

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Since when did Yulestar become an "Auckland horse"?

Mike

After Tony Shaw won with him at Brisbane 2001 Interdominon Grand Final  (after being 4 back on the fence at the 1/4 mile) and getting a 'Miracle' and the win it was being suggested Tony or Maurice could of driven better. Don't they drive at Auckland ? 

Here's a snippet I'll paste here. Where do You want YULESTAR to come from Mike ? 

He is trying to convincingly say just about anybody could have done what he just did.

"There are 50 drivers in New Zealand who could have driven Yuley to win because he is that good," says Shaw.

"I am just lucky Lorraine and Ron have stuck with me when they could put somebody like Tony Herlihy or Maurice McKendry on the horse."

While Shaw believes the words coming out of his mouth, they are still not true.

There are not 50 drivers in New Zealand who could have done what he did on Saturday night because nobody believes in Yulestar like Shaw.

Just seven days earlier Yulestar had disappointed by battling into fourth in his final heat.

Edited by Lightning Blue
spelling

'and did see YULESTAR win for Nz in Brisbane. very good win for the Auckland horse"....Gammalite

Pretty clear Gammalite wasn't referring to where Yulesatr had been driven 

Reference seems to be where he was trained

I don't want him to come from anywhere Lightning

But he was trained at Hawera

Mike

Edited by Mike

Guest Wilfred
9 hours ago, Mike said:

'and did see YULESTAR win for Nz in Brisbane. very good win for the Auckland horse"....Gammalite

Pretty clear Gammalite wasn't referring to where Yulesatr had been driven 

Reference seems to be where he was trained

I don't want him to come from anywhere Lightning

But he was trained at Hawera

Mike

Well said . It's good to acknowledge smaller centres when they have champion horses. Kiwi and Yulestar, two champions for that region.

I was at New Plymouth when Yulestar began his racing career

From memory he ran 4th the 1st day with Colin Butler driving, and won the 2nd day

I remember this meeting well as I ran an inglorious last on my horse More Excuses on the 1st day, and won the 2nd day paying $40

The next Taranaki meeting was only a month later and Yulestar won both days with Tony Herlihy driving

Tony didn't go down for a Wellington meeting I think and Maurice Mckendry had 2 misses on Yulestar

Tony Shaw then took the reins and won 3 in a row, the 1st 2 in the CD and then 1 at Alexandra Park

I think Yulestar won his first 4 races at Taranaki

I'm getting old, I'm reminiscing

Mike

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mike said:

From memory he ran 4th the 1st day with Colin Butler driving, and won the 2nd day

I remember this meeting well as I ran an inglorious last on my horse More Excuses on the 1st day, and won the 2nd day paying $40

The next Taranaki meeting was only a month later and Yulestar won both days with Tony Herlihy driving

Tony didn't go down for a Wellington meeting I think and Maurice Mckendry had 2 misses on Yulestar

Tony Shaw then took the reins and won 3 in a row, the 1st 2 in the CD and then 1 at Alexandra Park

Mike

Join in on the INTERDOMINION 2021 thread here then on the Race Place. You and Ludwig worrying about Gammalite not recognising a great TARANAKIAN trained horse (on another site)is a bit trivial .

Would be like worrying about whether LIGHTNING BLUE is a Victorian or a New Zealand horse?????. who cares. or is that MY LIGHTNING BLUE lol ? 

Plenty of Great Reminiscing !!! on the INTERDOMINION 2021 thread here Mike . (Heads up for you in todays quiz later on I'll be asking about great horses that have clean swept the series after Luke looks like doing it this year.) even the last Three Auckland Interdominions have achieved that remarkable feat.

Guest Wilfred
2 hours ago, Mike said:

Mike

At what point and why did Peter Jones take over the driving?

1 hour ago, Wilfred said:

At what point and why did Peter Jones take over the driving?

I think Yulestar fell in one of his races at Trentham.

Peter Jones started driving him from the 2001 N.Z. Cup onwards, and won twice, from 12 drives on him. It may have been at the time that Tony had his accident.

Edited by Double R

Guest Wilfred
4 minutes ago, Double R said:

Peter Jones started driving him from the 2001 N.Z. Cup onwards, and won twice, from 12 drives on him. It may have been at the time that Tony had his accident.

Thanks for that 

On 12/6/2021 at 11:01 AM, Lightning Blue said:

Join in on the INTERDOMINION 2021 thread here then on the Race Place. You and Ludwig worrying about Gammalite not recognising a great TARANAKIAN trained horse (on another site)is a bit trivial .

Would be like worrying about whether LIGHTNING BLUE is a Victorian or a New Zealand horse?????. who cares. or is that MY LIGHTNING BLUE lol ? 

Plenty of Great Reminiscing !!! on the INTERDOMINION 2021 thread here Mike . (Heads up for you in todays quiz later on I'll be asking about great horses that have clean swept the series after Luke looks like doing it this year.) even the last Three Auckland Interdominions have achieved that remarkable feat.

Trivial?

Fark me, you lot steal Pavlova too

I wasn't making a huge fuss, merely pointing out that Yulestar wasn't an Auckland horse

Was Wally Lewis a great NSW player?

Mike

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Trivial?

Fark me, you lot steal Pavlova too

G'day Mike , for some reason you decided to start a thread here commenting on something Gammalite said on another Forum . Instead of responding there,  you are here where no one knows what the 'Fark me you steal' (A nice Mike quote) you are on about. How Trivial can you get ?.

Your little phrase here is quite insulting to more than just myself ? . Why ? What good does it do seriously? trying to belittle others ?

To Just chat about the Interdominion just not on your agenda ? Thank you for your fine up-date about the location Yulestar is/ was trained at times. 

But no thank -you for the Insults . Hope you have a nice day still . ( Note to self don't eat too much Pavlova) 

Hey Lightning

Don't think Mike is being mean-spirited here or out to embarrass you. Its hard when we can't hear the tone in message.

We all make mistakes. Hows about me, saying the 1987 Auckland Interdoms. Wasn't offended when DR pointed out Interdoms in CHC not AUKS that year lol. Hopefully can get a pic for you tomorrow & will share on Interdom thread. Your doing a fab job of it, keeping the peeps entertained. High five to you 🙌

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Hey Lightning

Don't think Mike is being mean-spirited here or out to embarrass you. Its hard when we can't hear the tone in message.

We all make mistakes. Hows about me, saying the 1987 Auckland Interdoms. Wasn't offended when DR pointed out Interdoms in CHC not AUKS that year lol. Hopefully can get a pic for you tomorrow & will share on Interdom thread. Your doing a fab job of it, keeping the peeps entertained. High five to you 🙌

Yes, you are doing a wonderful job LB. As Karrots said, anyone can be mistaken.

Keep up the great work.

Robert.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 2:14 PM, Double R said:

No, it wasn't at the time that Tony had his accident

Mike

20 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

G'day Mike , for some reason you decided to start a thread here commenting on something Gammalite said on another Forum . Instead of responding there,  you are here where no one knows what the 'Fark me you steal' (A nice Mike quote) you are on about. How Trivial can you get ?.

Your little phrase here is quite insulting to more than just myself ? . Why ? What good does it do seriously? trying to belittle others ?

To Just chat about the Interdominion just not on your agenda ? Thank you for your fine up-date about the location Yulestar is/ was trained at times. 

But no thank -you for the Insults . Hope you have a nice day still . ( Note to self don't eat too much Pavlova) 

Really Lightning?

You consider that an insult? A common phrase about Pavlova?

I thought that it was my comment was pretty trivial

However I'll note that you have a different sense of humour to me and endeavour to not upset you again

As far as posting on another site goes no thanks

Mike

Edited by Mike

On 12/6/2021 at 2:14 PM, Double R said:

You are right Robert, he did fall at Trentham but I don't think it was in one of his races there

I stand to be corrected but I think Yulstar only started at Trentham once, that being the day he fell

I was there too

Mike

50 minutes ago, Mike said:

Really Lightning?

You consider that an insult? A common phrase about Pavlova?

I thought that it was my comment was pretty trivial

However I'll note that you have a different sense of humour to me and endeavour to not upset you again

As far as posting on another site goes no thanks

Mike

Thank you for your consideration/explanation. I was mainly grumpy because a nice lady 'Maria' is gone now from posting because strayed on to the dreaded 'covid thread' and some 'demographic humour' was directed at her. So she is gone. I don't post 'you lot' type of comments about anyone at all,  as would lose their respect . e.g wouldn't post about sheep shagging as even though some find it Hilarious, a big chunk of people (like myself) find it offensive. just so unnecessary.

Any way ,moving on from the Ashes , I see you have plotted a course for the McCarthy stable to take in the Interdominion Grand Final this week on the Interdominion 2021 thread. Be interesting to see how accurate you are. I'll jump on that thread with a opinion. 

Yip know post you mean Lightning re @Dancing Show - important to note Mike has never posted on Covid thread. Some might mis-interpret it as him here. Funnily enough I have only thought of Dancing as being charming & smart, not in the way the poster on Covid thread described. Check that neat stuff out on Melbourne Cup Day too! 

Hope you are right Hesi, she did post saying she was super busy atm. 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

You are right Robert, he did fall at Trentham but I don't think it was in one of his races there

I stand to be corrected but I think Yulstar only started at Trentham once, that being the day he fell

I was there too

Mike

Correct Mike, he only had one start at Trentham.

He won his first five wins on grass.

2 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

Thank you for your consideration/explanation. I was mainly grumpy because a nice lady 'Maria' is gone now from posting because strayed on to the dreaded 'covid thread' and some 'demographic humour' was directed at her. So she is gone. I don't post 'you lot' type of comments about anyone at all,  as would lose their respect . e.g wouldn't post about sheep shagging as even though some find it Hilarious, a big chunk of people (like myself) find it offensive. just so unnecessary.

Any way ,moving on from the Ashes , I see you have plotted a course for the McCarthy stable to take in the Interdominion Grand Final this week on the Interdominion 2021 thread. Be interesting to see how accurate you are. I'll jump on that thread with a opinion. 

No worries LB

I don't mind if you call me a sheep shagger even though you must admit it's a worse insult than being called a Pavlova stealer!

I don't read the Covid thread sorry, I've had enough of Covid obsessed types on other threads hijacking things without purposely reading about it!

I have to go overseas to see family in March and trying to arrange that is a nightmare, Singapore Air make you have a Covid test within 48 hours of flying (no earlier) and have a result, yet results here in Blenheim take 72 hours

Work that out

Mike

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Double R said:

Correct Mike, he only had one start at Trentham.

He won his first five wins on grass.

Sorry Robert, but I don't think you are correct

Back then Taranaki (New Plymouth) was an all weather Track

So the only win that Yulestar had on grass in his 1st 5 wins would have been at Hawera

I haven't researched it but since I drove a winner on one of the days at New Plymouth I'm pretty confident that I'm right!

Since you are so good at quizzes Robert I have one for you

Off the top of my head

What filly did I race that won 2 maidens without a dead heat being involved?

Who, where and how?

That should keep you busy for a hour I'd think!

Mike

Edited by Mike

42 minutes ago, Mike said:

Sorry Robert, but I don't think you are correct

Back then Taranaki (New Plymouth) was an all weather Track

So the only win that Yulestar had on grass in his 1st 5 wins would have been at Hawera

I haven't researched it but since I drove a winner on one of the days at New Plymouth I'm pretty confident that I'm right!

Off the top of my head

What filly did I race that won 2 maidens without a dead heat being involved?

Who, where and how?

Mike

Yep, your absolutely right Mike. Probably, only Hawera was on grass.

Confederate Girl at Yonkers Raceway in 1938, Won a heat earlier in the day, and the final was run as the last race.

I'll rephrase the question as I'm not sure if the Confederate Girl answer pertained to my question (and I'm sure I didn't race that horse)

Off the top of my head

What filly did I own and train In New Zealand that won 2 maidens without a dead heat being involved?

Who, where and how?