The Race Place

Trivia Toughie

PWJ

On 12/21/2021 at 1:01 PM, karrotsishere said:

Must be nearly due for another Harness question soon 🙂

Here's a combined one then Karrots !!

Name this beautiful animal ? that recorded a very remarkable feat in NZ.  (Would love that painting for my wall.)

And for the galloping folk too, a famous jockey in second photo tried to help our standardbred friend achieve the Impossible at Addington with the aid of a thoroughbred . Unfortunately they failed . Who is that Jockey ?

DSC02580.JPG

DSC02578.JPG

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Hi Lightening Blue

Love your work.

1. Thats Indianapolis, what a horse, how good? He’d of been a champion in any era.

2. James(Jimmy)Ellis, trying hard to get him across the line in better than 2 minutes, just missed.

Blackie has cleaned up the 'daily double' of (harness and gallops) with Indianapolis (first horse to win 3 Nz Cups) and Jimmy Ellis (riding the thoroughbred 'Cleaner')  in the same photo (first Nz jockey to get to 1000 race wins )

Thet missed breaking the '2 min mile' mark that was still to be achieved, with their time-trial attempt at Addington in 1936 running 2.00.4

Edited by Lightning Blue
  • Thanks 1

Tough Trivia as a christmas gift to you guys. A Lap to Go !!!  and here's one a few of us might have seen.

trivia today was pre-war and very tough. so go forward a few years for some great racing memories. 

Here we Have 4 horses that a lot of us saw race , so the trivia toughie question .......

What are the Four Horses Names in photo ?

drivers are nicely hidden to make it tough ! lol... but clue is No 10 went on to win this photo race. The No.4 horse (unplaced here in this race) , did the same thing as No 10 here,  a few months later sitting right behind this leader and getting the win with the leader finishing  2nd.

What honour does No. 4 have ? that still has,  to this very day from that big win .

DSC02583.JPG

Edited by Lightning Blue
photo

15 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Well, that got the memory working.

Thats Sapling leading the 1978 NZ Trotting Cup, In Or Out with her nose roll outside the leader, Trusty Scot in the trail, and Wee Win 1-1.

I think Wee Win holds the record for the most consecutive starts in The Cup at 4 in a row.

Are you sure your right blackie I,m thinking the horse in 1-1 could be fondle cause it beat sapling in interdomion in 79 I remember it cause I backed fondle and sapling run out in straight and Wolfe beat him in last few strides

Just now, Trotslover said:

Are you sure your right blackie I,m thinking the horse in 1-1 could be fondle cause it beat sapling in interdomion in 79 I remember it cause I backed fondle and sapling run out in straight and Wolfe beat him in last few strides

Sorry Rondel trained by peter young at kumeu

• Thanks 1

Hi Trotslover

Sure I’m right. 
Rondel came from the trail along the fence when he won, didn’t go around a horse cause Sapling ran out. That picture you can’t tell but that might happen, but In Or Out outside the leader with her shadow roll is the clue.

I think Rocky Tryax was 3 back and ran 3rd

Edited by Blackie

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

Thats Sapling leading the 1978 NZ Trotting Cup, In Or Out with her nose roll outside the leader, Trusty Scot in the trail, and Wee Win 1-1.

43 minutes ago, Trotslover said:

Sorry Rondel trained by peter young at kumeu

Great sleuth work by the harness guys there !!!  . In or Out I thought would be tough, but Blackie has nailed it .

Trusty Scot the No 10, is a lap away from being a NZ Cup winner from the trail behind Sapling who ran 2nd.

Rondel winning the Interdominion Grand Final 1979 soon after , by also trailing Sapling in that race at Addington. He is indeed the 1-1 horse in the running a lap out in the photo from 1978 NZ Cup... (Wee Win not in photo but did run 4th)

Rondel has claim to fame and a honour that he still holds today,  is that he is the last Addington Interdominion pacing GF Winner that was trained in Nz. Lightning Blue himself , started the rot of three Aussie winners at Addington since then.  

2 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Popped out onto the track & report was that Copy That

'Copy That' taking on some more equine Kangaroos Sunday evening at Ballarat in a sprint race. So hope he is back to his winning ways after that one. 

Also on Sunday SIR GALLIVANT and his team of accomplices including HESI and CRAIG at team 'No Response' will be strutting their stuff in the Teams harness Comp at Westport trots.  Rex is flying supreme winning the recent Gallops Comp last Saturday in dashing style,  so looks very hard to beat.

however Karrots has Pippied Rex by $10 at Rangiora last week-end to show it can be done... (Well done Karrots ! taking it up to the master picker) now The next team might cause 'No Response' to crack and break-up now?  lol 

so The Tough Trivia will come Sunday, picking a Westport winner .  good luck to all. (with some turkey and form study first lol)

• Like 1