The Race Place

NZ Derby

Hesi

On 2/28/2022 at 6:49 PM, Hesi said:

13, 1 maiden.

Poor field in the end apart from the top 3 or 4

So many horses over the years, brilliant acceleration over 2000/2100, nullified by the extra distance.  Will it happen to La Crique this year?

Yes

Very 'educated' comments SD, from back on Feb 16

slam dunk

Posted February 16 · IP 

Race 3 ASTERIX $10.

cut and paste job from 2nd Feb.  

.....I draw your attention to ASTERIX in race3. $450,000 buy at the RTR sale and taken along quietly. Quietly being the operative word as you would be familiar being in the club (Innes). Still entered in the Derby.

Now at $450.000 you would be desperate getting into the Derby and perhaps sell to Australia even though only remote chance. Booking Bosson probable shows that desperation. The run at Waikato was OK from staying point of view. I know they were expecting a bit better.

On 3/6/2022 at 7:18 AM, Hesi said:

Very 'educated' comments SD, from back on Feb 16

slam dunk

Posted February 16 · IP 

Race 3 ASTERIX $10.

cut and paste job from 2nd Feb.  

.....I draw your attention to ASTERIX in race3. $450,000 buy at the RTR sale and taken along quietly. Quietly being the operative word as you would be familiar being in the club (Innes). Still entered in the Derby.

Now at $450.000 you would be desperate getting into the Derby and perhaps sell to Australia even though only remote chance. Booking Bosson probable shows that desperation. The run at Waikato was OK from staying point of view. I know they were expecting a bit better.

Yeah, All along I was going to have a decent bet on Asterix but waited... waited.. wai.. Finally I was sucked into the hype around La Crique and Pinarello as a worthy back up. So ended up playing Asterix to run 2nd, 3rd or 4th. The win bet on Asterix was embarassingly small. 

I liked the last few strides Asterix put in at Tauranga and was going to post this was a great Derby trial. What got me was TV's Emily downplaying Asterix's chances because hubby Opie wasn't convinced.