The Race Place

Colletts off?

ngakonui grass

55 minutes ago, ngakonui grass said:

Another site reporting that Richard Collett and family which includes Andrew Calder off to Aus.

Good list of jocks to call on,Jason,Alysha and Andrew and i think Jasons partner trains over in Aus.

Claire Cunningham but she gave away training to be a full-time mum 

51 minutes ago, Turny said:

Add Tyler's, Dennis out of it ....yep we are in great shape for sure

Very sad, a once proud industry stuffed by incompetence and lack of push back by participants

I'm sure I heard Bevan Wilson say they were giving it away as well.

1 hour ago, Turny said:

Add Tyler's, Dennis out of it ....yep we are in great shape for sure

Very sad, a once proud industry stuffed by incompetence and lack of push back by participants

Yep, many participants lined their own pockets, which is understandable, but then to blame everyone but themselves.

Anyway, you cannot compete with those stakes in Aus, so it is a matter of the industry adapting accordingly.  Those that think they have enough talent will go to Aus, but it will just open the way for new talent coming through.  Remember, many in Aus will have a view that NZ needs a good thoroughbred industry, to support the Aus industry.  

Many good things still happening in NZ, such as the Ellerslie initiatives, Waikato clubs amalgamation, Te Akau is very strong, still many good trainers who will never move to Aus, and we can still regularly produce topline horses.

So I don't think it is a case of last one out turn off the lights

• Like 1

Hesi, your script differs to mine, very much so.

To float a horse to Timaru and back with all other costs is a 650 outlay, running for 7k winners prize, after 2500 to get them ready, so outgoing 3150 with 3850 return if you win

Down here to remain in red you need 3 wins per racing period, achieved by 4% or less.

Numbers are dreadful, unless you have deep pockets

On any financial assessment, a no go.

You have to race for reasons other than a break even or positive return.

I am lucky, in my ownership days I had 4 going round and 3 wins saved them all. Was achievable too. Not today.

No Mercs or BMWs parked at Riccarton at 6am when I am there. The going is tough, super tough

Edited by Turny
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Turny said:

Hesi, your script differs to mine, very much so.

To float a horse to Timaru and back with all other costs is a 650 outlay, running for 7k winners prize, after 2500 to get them ready, so outgoing 3150 with 3850 return if you win

Down here to remain in red you need 3 wins per racing period, achieved by 4% or less.

Numbers are dreadful, unless you have deep pockets

On any financial assessment, a no go.

You have to race for reasons other than a break even or positive return.

I am lucky, in my ownership days I had 4 going round and 3 wins saved them all. Was achievable too. Not today.

No Mercs or BMWs parked at Riccarton at 6am when I am there. The going is tough, super tough

Why would you go to Riccarton at 6am these days given you've said you dont own any and you don't punt on NZ races?

I have friends LT, I guess you do too - maybe.

Correct, I don't punt on NZ racing, but incorrect on the ownership as I have a couple in Mlb, just not NZ for reasons I have recorded, just too tough here.

But having said that Mlb ain't easy but I am doing OK but yet to have a Saturday horse unfortunately tho I hope it happens

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...