The Race Place

Harness Grand Prix Sunday 4 December

Rusty

It's the old Jewels day reinvented with a slight twist. 

The fields look fantastic, the weather will be perfect, it's not going to rip anyone off at the turnstiles (who remembers them at Addington?), there will be kiddies entertainment, this all looks set for potentially one of the best days of the calendar year for the code. 

Well done to whoever put this concept together, I think it will be a great success.

Hopefully Trackside TV will play the game too and resist the urge to leave Addington as soon as the second to last horse has finished, and cross to either the Snake Gully gallops, or to a skinny greyhound trying to lay a cable, 5 minutes before it gets loaded away by its Weight Watchers "before photo" handler. 

Looks and sounds like Addington are throwing coin at some mainstream media marketing too, so good on them. Not much coin judging by the end product, but some. Just a poor choice radio advert by some Irish geezer going on about something. I thought that was bad, but then saw the back of the bus advert. Dear God... Old people and a horse's rear end?!  Well done. That really conveys a positive image, captures one's imagination and will make non-horsey, non-race goer Joe Public want to get along and check the races out. Nothing surer. 

End of year school report for the marketing department reads: "Rarely turns up, but on the odd occasion they do, they could do better." 

20221124_170436.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Globederby19 said:

We got Hidden Talent in the 3yr old Trotting Derby along with two other fillies having a go. . Hoping for a sit with not much work as she has speed to burn and could blouse them , but the boys won't be easy. 

Very even race. 

15FF was worth a go when it entered the Futures feature, especially if that sit eventuates.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rusty said:

Well done to whoever put this concept together, I think it will be a great success.

I agree, keeps the race follower interested. If it wasn't happening we would be gearing up for Boxing Day at Westport.

Nice touch to have the Mot on Saturday before it.

As for the marketing, haven't seen or heard anything.

Good to keep the momentum of Cup Week going. 

4 hours ago, Double R said:

Yes, I agree the Oaks is the race if there is to be an upset.

Think you're being led astray Robert. TRUE FANTASY drawn ONE for the irrepressible Nat , with BlairO speeding across with the speedy stable-mate A BETTER YOU to lead her and give a nice trail (or ride 'Shot-gun' on the outer)  looks a sure thing lol. here's the field.

Mark always a chance in these Group 1 races , But the 'Queen' is a bit 'dodgey gaited' compared to most Allstars runners.  

IRT NEW ZEALAND OAKS (MOBILE PACE) (Gr1)

$175,000, 3YO FILLIES, 2600m

For 3-year-old pacing fillies.

Participants for Race 9: IRT NEW ZEALAND OAKS (MOBILE PACE)
Book   Form Name Age Sex Rating Draw Hcp Driver Trainer    
Notifiable Gear Changes: Coachella: SL-Off, True Fantasy: BL-Off, SL-On   Legend
Horse Movements: Joes Rock to Steve & Amanda Telfer at Swannanoa, Artisan to Jeff Whittaker at Springston, Miki Montana to Jeff Whittaker at Springston, Lady Of The Light to Steven McRae at West Melton, Snow Robyn to Regan Todd at Yaldhurst
1 True Fantasy X27211 True Fantasy   3 f R89 1 Ft Natalie Rasmussen Mark Purdon & Hayden Cullen  
2 Fernleigh Blackbird 522140 Fernleigh Blackbird   3 f R50 2 Ft Robbie Close Regan Todd  
3 No Matter Wat 1321P3 No Matter Wat   3 f R52 3 Ft Olivia Thornley(J) Mark Purdon & Hayden Cullen  
4 Chambray 837755 Chambray   3 f R48 4 Ft Jonny Cox Mark Purdon & Hayden Cullen  
5 Joes Rock X21323 Joes Rock   3 f R58 5 Ft Nathan Williamson Brett Gray  
6 Artisan 432365 Artisan   3 f R49 6 Ft Zachary Butcher Barry Purdon & Scott Phelan  
7 A Bettor You 534911 A Bettor You   3 f R57 7 Ft Blair Orange Mark Purdon & Hayden Cullen  
8 Miki Montana 213428 Miki Montana   3 f R45 8 Ft David Butcher Barry Purdon & Scott Phelan  
9 Queen Of Diamonds X15107 Queen Of Diamonds   3 f R61 9 Ft Mark Purdon Mark Purdon & Hayden Cullen  
------------------ Second Line ------------------
10 Dance Till Dawn 184426 Dance Till Dawn   3 f R46 10 Ft John Dunn Robert & Jenna Dunn  
11 Anna Love 713778 Anna Love  (E2) 3 f R49 11 Ft   Sam Payne  
12 Lady Of The Light 512472 Lady Of The Light   3 f R61 12 Ft Maurice McKendry Jeremy Young  
13 Obsession 506230 Obsession   3 f R48 13 Ft Tim Williams Steve & Amanda Telfer  
14 Classie Linc 220330 Classie Linc   3 f R47 14 Ft Sheree Tomlinson Bruce Negus  
15 Coachella 7X2044 Coachella  (E1) 3 f R49 15 Ft   Ken Barron  
16 Snow Robyn 30X119 Snow Robyn   3 f R56 16 Ft Mark Hurrell(J) Craig Ferguson

17 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I think Robert can think for himself.

A Bettor You's connections must be wrapped they are team driving for a stablemate to win.

Was commenting on where they would be in the run. Both A BETTER YOU and TRUE FANTASY sure to be on the pace. They are good horses and the best one can win from there. True Fantasy won the Great Northern Oaks quite impressively when drawn 1 in March this year. sure to go close to winning the big double ? yes ? I'm looking forward to it so much . these big Group days are Better Than the Interdominion these days.

I'm sure A BETTER YOU's connections are delighted to be in the race , and thoroughly Enjoyed their BIG Jewels win over True Fantasy last year. They would indeed be wrapped as you say . best of luck to them for another BIG win .

Hey thanks for letting me know Robert can think !!, I wasn't sure about my old Chiefs Team-mate there for a minute . He would be pretty devastated they're gunna bulldoze the museum he has put many hours effort into. 

Just now, Globederby19 said:

Yeah, Im hoping Robert might post his thoughts on it. Absolute Tragedy in my opinion. Come in Robert.

Yes , that is sad beyond words 😪. Hey what about a solution. ? I saw an add here somewhere where they are advertising 'Leasing' the Showgrounds next door to the trots? 

I take it Covid has closed any shows from happening for good? 

The crowds used to be that big we always parked in the showgrounds to walk over,  and then had to fight traffic to get out after the last at Alexandra Park.

Can't some POSITIVE thinking person LEASE a couple of buildings there,? and have a WORLD CLASS Museum for harness racing and The Auckland Racing Club need somewhere as well to set up . Side by side in there would be so Un-real . Bring in some other groups as well . Would be brilliant. (and with in walking distance still of Alexandra Park.)

59 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Yeah, Im hoping Robert might post his thoughts on it. Absolute Tragedy in my opinion. Come in Robert.

Everything will be done to ensure it will not be lost to the wonderful harness racing history.

I am glad I am not a punter, as my heart would probably prevail over my head, with the result leaning the other way.

Well said, Rees. a tragedy indeed.

On another note, it was with sadness to read of the passing of the great athlete, and human being, Murray Halberg today, and our wee racer, Halberg will do all he can on Sunday to honour Murray's efforts over the years, in the second race.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Double R said:

I am glad I am not a punter, as my heart would probably prevail over my head

And therein lies the crux of the matter. These modern day followers of harness and punters dont give a shiite as to the absolute rich History and longevity of the industry,its impact on what we now enjoy and the administrators at ATC are willing to sacrifice that on the altar of  expediency.  Those of us who have enjoyed 60 odd years of following the harness sport will be (like me) apoplectic at the suggestion of this happening . Dear me some may be turning in their graves. 

May be we should have an establishment like the American Hall of Fame Museum (in an original stable) and gothic building in Goshen New York, run independently.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2022 at 7:23 PM, Double R said:

Everything will be done to ensure it will not be lost to the wonderful harness racing history.

I am glad I am not a punter, as my heart would probably prevail over my head, with the result leaning the other way.

Well said, Rees. a tragedy indeed.

On another note, it was with sadness to read of the passing of the great athlete, and human being, Murray Halberg today, and our wee racer, Halberg will do all he can on Sunday to honour Murray's efforts over the years, in the second race.

Go Halberg Go!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 11:57 AM, Hesi said:

What great fields and stakes today, as good as NZ Cup day.  My only criticism, is why are the best horses going around for only a fraction of the stake money of all the other races, bar the first

Hesi stakes were poor 50k to the winner meant to be the new jewels day lol. jewels was 75k to the winner