The Race Place

Te Akau dominance.

ngakonui grass

Maybe it's a numbers game NG.  They have a lot of slow horses that probably never make it to the racetrack??

We have seen 2 other particular instances of horses literally exploding from the pack and winning easily in the last few days, that were not Te Akau horses.  Polygon and Weowna Tiger

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Allovertheform said:

Here are some very interesting stats on the top lots $400,000 and above brought by te akau since 2017 all brought at karaka.

It does not paint a very good picture. . . . . . .

20230107_121544.jpg

Going off my statistics above, It cost $593,636.36 per Win not including training fees etc, with return Winning stakes of $733,000 won for an invested sales total of $13,060,000 so for every dollar invested via Te Akau Racing you got a total of 0.05  so a 95% Loss on initial investment and in my personal opinion at this level your not buying a race horse your making an investment, yet people go on how good they are well this info paints another story.

and dont forget to add the $108 + 15% GST per horse for training fees. . . . . .

4 minutes ago, Hesi said:

You are only looking at the top end stuff though.  You would need to look and analyse the data for all purchases over set period of time to get a more accurate indication of their performance

Going off the top stuff as that's what the pride themselfs on being big buyers at the sales. . . . . .

As is always the case, the cheaper purchases are the best value. No one in his right mind would 'invest' in the most expensive yearlings. 9 out of 10 are cabbage.

Mates of mine bought a majority share in a Darci Brahma filly from Book 3 .cost $1500 ....she was weak and small and basically 'fire saled'.
Just a pony but had a huge heart, high cruising speed and won 6 races from 1200m to 2200 and over $150k.

MM

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Hesi said:

You are only looking at the top end stuff though.  You would need to look and analyse the data for all purchases over set period of time to get a more accurate indication of their performance

It will be very similar results due to the top heavy purchases not delivering the results like they predicted at the time of purchase. 

nothing...but would be an interesting analysis of their overall involvement. Since you have their top end stats mebbe you have their bottom ;end stats as well and the overall median purchase price/median stk earnings would be a good way to see the overall picture

MM

So what is the reason for Ellis keeping on buying all these high priced yearlings, when. as you have shown with your data, he is not really getting very good results.

Is it an ego thing, is it the best way he can see of getting a champion horse.

He might as well buy $100K yearlings for syndication, or would that not go down as well with potential syndicate owners, a 'cheapo' horse

1 hour ago, Maximus said:

nothing...but would be an interesting analysis of their overall involvement. Since you have their top end stats mebbe you have their bottom ;end stats as well and the overall median purchase price/median stk earnings would be a good way to see the overall picture

MM

No I don't have Over all stats 

1 hour ago, Our Maizcay said:

the owners keep supporting him so he is doing something right - they're the only ones he has to answer to

if the results are as bad as you're making out, then they'd be letting their feet do the talking

I am not making anything out data does not lie and there top end data is not what I would call outstanding, and when you buy in the volume they do it's easy to manipulate the over all figures. 

Edited by Allovertheform

who's manipulating figures?  this thread is almost starting to read like some sort of conspiracy or fraud is taking place

he buys horses, he syndicates them, people choose to join, they know what it costs, they pay their bills, if they want out they can, .... 

like I said, the only people he needs to answer to are the owners

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Our Maizcay said:

who's manipulating figures?  this thread is almost starting to read like some sort of conspiracy or fraud is taking place

he buys horses, he syndicates them, people choose to join, they know what it costs, they pay their bills, if they want out they can, .... 

That's your interpretation of what's being said. But if you can come to that conclusion from the data I have provided you might be onto something.

Edited by Allovertheform

10 hours ago, Our Maizcay said:

Fair point OM

But why do people continue to support such poor top end results

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Our Maizcay said:

Well put, the tall poppy syndrome alive and well and nice to see it chopped down.

Where would NZ racing be without Te Akau. Whilst I have little interest, almost zero in fact, in NZ Racing, I would think without TA it would be worse than it is and it certainly ain't great today.

Edited by Turny
  • Like 2