The Race Place

Levin Classic 2020

Hesi

Shaping up as a classic, unlike previous years when the B and C graders dominated.

Excuse the indulgence, but I come from an era, when the best horses in NZ competed in the best races, and the Levin(Bayer) Classic was up there as the 3rd best.

So, while it looks like a good field, firstly it will be smallish, and secondly, horses like Catalyst, Dragon Leap and Scorpz won't be there.

Wasn't there a suggestion around somewhere, that betting figures in NZ were suffering, because the fields were mainly crap.................never mind we're doing alright

• Like 2

TMoroney/Gerard
2.50  1.18

JMichael Coleman(56.5)
TNigel Tiley
4.00  1.32

JCraig Grylls(56.5)
TJohn Bary
26.00  3.30

JRyan Elliot(56.5)
TTeamRogerson
8.00  1.90

JCameron Lammas(56.5)
TMark Forbes
81.00  5.50

JOpie Bosson(56.5)
TBaker/Forsman
15.00  2.50

JSamantha Collett(54.5)
TBen Foote
2.80  1.22

26 minutes ago, Hesi said:

No reason why Catalyst and Dragon Leap can't be there, they are both geldings, so hardly after G1 stallion making races in Aus

Time to stop biting the hand that feeds you for a few of these connections

disagree...why risk the autumn riches for a no-note 3yo event at Trentham, probably on a flint hard track. The real riches are later, and to be ready for the Levi nlassic Catalyst woulda hadf to be in work for weeks already. The timing of the Levin Classic is all wrong IMO.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Maximus said:

disagree...why risk the autumn riches for a no-note 3yo event at Trentham, probably on a flint hard track. The real riches are later, and to be ready for the Levi nlassic Catalyst woulda hadf to be in work for weeks already. The timing of the Levin Classic is all wrong IMO.

Well they should change it then, so the best horses race in the best races, NZ racing needs it

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Well they should change it then, so the best horses race in the best races, NZ racing needs it

true BUT ...the bebst horses dont all peak at the same time mate...Riodini is a first-class sprinter-miler but looks tested even at 1600 ...and we cant expect them all to face each other all the time. thats part o the fun of exploring our way through each 'classic' season...will Dragon Leap meet his match in the late summer/autumn? He's not a champion yet. Wouldnt beb surprised if Halrech proves to be the best of them over ground in NZ. But keep an eye out for late-developing Derby and Oaks contenders

• Like 2

Agree mustie .. a mile suits too many to have a championship feel like a derby. Even the guineas races only really have an early miler feel. Maybe like a minor premiership winner. And thats fine. 3yo stuff evolves fast.

Harlech for me on saturday. I think he has them on whats in the book given how the track and distance will suit. Being a colt on the improve for a derby is a bonus. That said, 2.50 is only a fair price. Theres a few shorties looking tough to roll on saturday.

2 hours ago, Maximus said:

The timing of the Levin Classic is all wrong IMO.

I dont think the timing is wrong, its a G1 mile 7 weeks out from the nz derby. Its fine imo if it naturally downgrades to a G2 if connections choose a softer leadup. The option and the prizemoney is timed sensibly tho imo.

I agree that nz racing calendar should in essence deliver us the best delegates to  go on to lead an assault on aus.

3 hours ago, Hesi said:

The Pattern Committee agrees with you Hesi.

Levin RC, Levin Classic (G1)Alert removed as a solid edition rated 112.5 compared to the tolerance threshold of 112. The top 4 starters averaged 113.75. The NZPC remains concerned that this race is not ideally placed in the calendar and will struggle to retain its status in the medium term.In years where there are 5 Saturdays in January, it will only be one week removed from the Karaka 3yo race that now has a $1m stake. The NZPC would carefully consider any submission from NZTR and the affected clubs to move this race to the mid-March date that is currently occupied by the G2 Wellington Guineas, 1400m. It would provide an autumn target for the numerous horses that do not target the Oaks or Derby.

So what happens,  in that case,  to the Wellington Guineas?

These three year old races have become just a hotch-potch with little structure or cohesion.

When the Bayer Classic first appeared,  with no status but great money,  it had some impact [ negatively ] on the Guineas races,  being easier on the young horses than a trip across the strait and the heat and dust attached to Riccarton at that time of the year;  it's gained status in the years since but it still hasn't settled into a perfect fit.

There needs to be a sensible and forward-thinking approach to the suitable placement of these pattern races...but where that will come from is food for thought..IMO.

I see they are keeping the faith with Holymongolemperor (stupid name). Anyone like me got a hunch that when things click into place for this horse he could slaughter a good field?

I see Opie is riding too.  Currently probably too short at $15.

1 hour ago, Freda said:

So what happens,  in that case,  to the Wellington Guineas?

These three year old races have become just a hotch-potch with little structure or cohesion.

When the Bayer Classic first appeared,  with no status but great money,  it had some impact [ negatively ] on the Guineas races,  being easier on the young horses than a trip across the strait and the heat and dust attached to Riccarton at that time of the year;  it's gained status in the years since but it still hasn't settled into a perfect fit.

There needs to be a sensible and forward-thinking approach to the suitable placement of these pattern races...but where that will come from is food for thought..IMO.

Yes yes yes

and also how they mesh in with racing in Aus, so it is more likely that the best horses will race first, here in NZ, maybe even some incentives(don't ask me what or how).  Our 3 best horses, Melody Belle, TAS and Catalyst, will not be seen racing in NZ for the rest of the season, and that is a shame.

Sure, every owner has the right to race their horse where they see fit, but consideration needs to be given to putting NZ racing first, or things will just continue on their slippery slope downwards...........probably irreversible now anyway.   Our best horses can only be found via the programme of races that we have in NZ, so in my humble opinion, there is a moral obligation by those associated with the best horses to give back

Never mind, Oaks day coming up in March, when we have an Oaks, Guineas and St Leger on the same day, how's that for hotch potch, those old Jockey Club folk would be turning in their grave

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ngakonui grass said:

Could be wrong but don't G1s pay down to about 10th.

If so a slow maiden could have registered its first collect.

As i say,could be wrong.

That's correct, trainspotter, so 3 x $2,000 is going begging and will end up at the sausage roll machine