The Race Place

50 Years since The Greatest did The Greatest

Maximus

Max holds a special place in his big heart for the huge-hearted Secretariat (Bold Ruler-Somethingroyal)

50 years this week since he demolished his 4 rivals by 31 lengths, in the 1973 Belmont Stakes. His sectionals were mind-blowing and his race time for 2400m (2:24) is still a record. There are some wonderful documentaries about Big Red on Youtube and books (William Nack's Heart of a Champion is the best IMO). And the race call by 'Chic' Anderson still gets the hairs up on Maxi's Mustelidian neck. (He is moving like a tremendous machine ...)

• Like 3

On 6/7/2023 at 11:20 AM, Maximus said:

Max holds a special place in his big heart for the huge-hearted Secretariat (Bold Ruler-Somethingroyal)

50 years this week since he demolished his 4 rivals by 31 lengths, in the 1973 Belmont Stakes. His sectionals were mind-blowing and his race time for 2400m (2:24) is still a record. There are some wonderful documentaries about Big Red on Youtube and books (William Nack's Heart of a Champion is the best IMO). And the race call by 'Chic' Anderson still gets the hairs up on Maxi's Mustelidian neck. (He is moving like a tremendous machine ...)

It will be a very long time before we see a horse like Secretariat I think 🙂     He was an equine mystery that just loved racing surrounded by people that understood him.   That is an amazing equation.     What a beauty he was and a Chestnut 🙂  🥰

3 hours ago, Dancing Show said:

It will be a very long time before we see a horse like Secretariat I think 🙂     He was an equine mystery that just loved racing surrounded by people that understood him.   That is an amazing equation.     What a beauty he was and a Chestnut 🙂  🥰

Oh Happy Day .... Oh Happy happy Day .... when jesus washed ... oh when jesus washed ... he washed my sins away ....😆  (great finale scene to the movie Secretariat , well worth a u-yube view if you haven't seen it already Maria albeit the horse is a ring-in named 'Longshot' lol 😂

On 6/7/2023 at 9:20 AM, Maximus said:

Ummm...I think you will find that isn't a world record anymore.

1 hour ago, LookingForValue said:

Could be Freda.

Below the horses who ran world records

Horlicks 2:22.2 Japan Cup
Asidero 2:21.98 Gran Premio Carlos Pellegrini
Almond Eye 2:20.6 Japan Cup

Yeah, Almond Eye's time is staggering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LookingForValue said:

Could be Freda.

Below the horses who ran world records

Horlicks 2:22.2 Japan Cup
Asidero 2:21.98 Gran Premio Carlos Pellegrini
Almond Eye 2:20.6 Japan Cup

Is the Japan Cup raced on a dirt track? Methinks not.

What is the current world record time for 2400m on dirt ...and was it in 1973 at Belmont Park?

MM

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Is the Japan Cup raced on a dirt track? Methinks not.

What is the current world record time for 2400m on dirt ...and was it in 1973 at Belmont Park?

MM

I bow to the wisdom of our friendly Mustelid. I believe his Belmont Stakes win in 1973 is still a world record on dirt. 

4 hours ago, LookingForValue said:

I bow to the wisdom of our friendly Mustelid. I believe his Belmont Stakes win in 1973 is still a world record on dirt. 

you must be an Awesome Dude, LFV, cos not many bow or scrape to mere Mustelids like Max.

Arise, Sir LFV

MM

Max has checked the Belmont Stakes result.

Track fast.

Winner Arcangelo, by Arrogate;

Time 2:29;23 ...on the basis that a length is 0.20 of a second, he'd have been beaten about 26 lengths by Secretariat but 5 lengths clear of the '73 runner-up.

Arcangelo's dam Modeling has Secretariat on both sides of her pedigree (via A P Indy and Storm Cat)

MM

• Like 2