The Race Place

Why do we never hear stories about brave NZ'ers like this

Hesi

I gave up watching the evening news and reading NZ newspapers (paper or digital) a while back.
There are a few overseas media sites that actually report on news (that affects the world and not what some pop star wore the day before) that I read instead.
The local media used to be independent and had "investigative" reporters, but that changed when the government funding model changed to require them to "toe the line" on the government's current woke views on the world.
But we are not the "target demographic" anymore. An article must grab the attention and hold it for 10 seconds, before the user swipes to the next page.
Reporters just troll the internet copying anything that seems interesting to them. These "reporters" must have views in line with current PC aims and targets while skills in journalism is not really a priority.
So no, you are right, this type of story would not be found in today's New Zealand (or should that be Aotearoa) media.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, JustPlodded said:

I gave up watching the evening news and reading NZ newspapers (paper or digital) a while back.
There are a few overseas media sites that actually report on news (that affects the world and not what some pop star wore the day before) that I read instead.
The local media used to be independent and had "investigative" reporters, but that changed when the government funding model changed to require them to "toe the line" on the government's current woke views on the world.
But we are not the "target demographic" anymore. An article must grab the attention and hold it for 10 seconds, before the user swipes to the next page.
Reporters just troll the internet copying anything that seems interesting to them. These "reporters" must have views in line with current PC aims and targets while skills in journalism is not really a priority.
So no, you are right, this type of story would not be found in today's New Zealand (or should that be Aotearoa) media.

Very good summation Geoff.

36 minutes ago, JustPlodded said:

Which ones Geoff?

Ironic that a British lord wrote this story.  Lloyd Trigg was born in Houhora, went to Whangarei BHS and Auckland Uni, 5 other NZ'ers died with him.  Where are the memorials in Northland to him?  They would probably think higher of scheming pricks like Peters or John Tamihere than this brave man

• Like 1

Arts and Letters Daily is superb Maria, been reading it for very many years.

The grand newspaper section is superb, get great enjoyment reading the same article in 3 different papers ... interpretation is incredible

Great website, spend far too many hours on it.

As for local, stopped 3 years ago and don't even bother with our newspapers all woke following the agenda

• Like 1

I'm much the same these days, rarely watch the local news, local newspapers online are a waste of time.  Each day the Herald has some nonsense headline about Harry and Megan, or opinion pieces from a lefty or righty, which are a waste of time reading, because they have zero objectivity

The Chase is great, as is Would I Lie To You

Thanks heavens for Netflix

18 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Of course, and Trackside lol

And I found a solution to watching Trackside and betting at the same time, if no longer having Sky…
The NZRacing site (loveracing.co.nz) that had a problem with watching and switching to a betting site, without it logging you off, now has a separate iPad app that allows you to stream to the TV and switch to other apps while it stays running.

Edited by JustPlodded

1 hour ago, brown fox said:

Is ALDaily subscription based?

No, but some of the newspapers are but only a few articles.

They access 30 odd newspapers around the world and 30 news channels.

My favorite is the India Times, The Hindu, laughs a plenty and full of illogical thinking but brilliant... get on it real news

Edited by Turny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1