The Race Place

Spring Harness Racing Champions

Lightning Blue

2 north Island wins so far . In the harness Millions .

Matthew White winning the 2 year old trot wit Paramount Kiwi.  was super impressive.

Barry Purdon and Phelan winning with Cold Chisel. 2 year old colts.  from the good draw and cozy trip. got 14-1 him as well.

Watch out for KISS race 7 with Barry and Zac again too in the fillies division. Also get good trip from the draw .only $5.50 about her at the moment though.

4 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Nice run again Self Assured, quickest time off the 20mtrs and still coming at the end on a slashing last quarter.

Can't wait until the Cup.

What do you think of that Northerner Old Town Road ? seems a little stronger this time in maybe . only battled 5th in Auckland Cup in May though when going 2 miles. the Northerners are having a great Night out tonight anyway..  

7 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

What do you think of that Northerner Old Town Road ? seems a little stronger this time in maybe . only battled 5th in Auckland Cup in May though when going 2 miles. the Northerners are having a great Night out tonight anyway..  

I have followed him through the grades actually, and he is up to the big time but needs a sit as he has a lethal finish. Too much work seems to blunt the finish. Nice horse though.

3 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

. I like all the Sweet Lou,s but they have drawn 7-8-9.

Wow . All 3 Sweet Lou's showing plenty of dash in that and were all up on the pace after the early burn . All still close at the finish too,  think they'll all win heaps of races on that . 

'Sooner The Bettor' for Herlihy,  had every hope in the world along the inside , but run died 100m out. bit weak.

Mark Purdon's horse finished hard out wide. Looks the Derby Winner on that . Don't Stop Dreaming .

35 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Wow . All 3 Sweet Lou's showing plenty of dash in that and were all up on the pace after the early burn . All still close at the finish too,  think they'll all win heaps of races on that . 

'Sooner The Bettor' for Herlihy,  had every hope in the world along the inside , but run died 100m out. bit weak.

Mark Purdon's horse finished hard out wide. Looks the Derby Winner on that . Don't Stop Dreaming .

Watched the replay. I would have been screaming for Coney Island Lou, gritty little horse and way over the odds, and that was as good as it gets for a sheer speed burn for the first quarter, dear me.  Jolimont is part owned by Tommy Heptinstall, the owner of the syndicate that my son in law trained TB,s for, and had Tavistock, and other group 1 winners. When Tommy told Andrew (my son in law) he was interested in buying a pacer ,I immediately suggested a Sweet Lou and Andy knew Arna Donnelly who trained just down the road when he was at his Cambridge establishment . At least someone listened to my advice. The Sweet Lou's have speed to burn , and is one of the boom sires.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 2:28 PM, Lightning Blue said:

Mr Dobson has shares in the Best trotter (Muscle Mountain ) getting ready for the Dominion FFA , the Best pacer Akuta who is favourite for the Nz Cup . And would ya believe it ? 😲  he could be Winning the Nz Derby as well !! 

Oh dear ,sadly in the news that Mr Ian Dobson has sadly passed away on his 90th birthday , and just misses out by a month seeing his 3 horses tackle the Group 1 features in November. ..

think he always assumed it t be the 'cream on life's cake having shares in those 3 Big Race winners anyway , after having the great cake making machine CHRISTIAN CULLEN 25 odd years ago racing to the Everest level taking not just Nz Cups and AUckland Cups but the Miracle Mile too. 

Well played old sport .RIP Ian Dobson , and    here's a look at your life Pride and Joy the mighty Christian Cullen  !! 

seen winning the New Zealand Cup here I think ...

download.jpg.edec63db66309c8c0c4eee2201ad32c3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mr Dobson might have passed away but his 2 current Star horses were still in action at ASHBURTON this week and didn't Disappoint . Akuta and Muscle Mountain both Winning in Dominant fashion as they prepare for Cup week Group 1's.

The famous Ashburton Flying Stakes won by Mark Purdon for most of the past decade with great Spring Champions like Smolda , Lazarus (twice)  , Adore Me,  Spankem and  Self Assured .

But for today' s Spring Champion question , just prior to those winners, the Allstar's rival Terror To Love Won the Ashburton Flying Stakes on his way to taking the Nz Cup that year 

and we have Mark in the lead here in photo at Ashburton,  but something is dreadfully wrong  lol... 🙄.

Question 1 /   What is Mark doing  ?  ( taking a short cut home maybe to try and beat the 'Terror' ? 😂)

Question 2 /  What horse is Mark driving to NOT Win this edition of the Ashburton Flying Stakes ? 

DSC03092.JPG

9 hours ago, Blackie said:

I think Marky boy’s excuse was that he got on one rein abit 😊. That horse named after that song from The Steve Miller Band.😎

Yeah ... it seems the right rein snapped off the bit or similar , so gave him a horror lap running along inside the field,  until the Clerk of the Course finally caught up for the catch.

Steve Miller Band song you say ???  this one was a good one back in the day (named after you I think 😆 ) >>>  and 'The Joker' or 'Space Cowboy'    is not the correct answer to question 2 either.....😁

LB, just watched SOSt L,Swayzee go around in a trial, SOSt L seem to handle the standing start really good and was doing good work up the straight. Do you think he's any chance of toppling Akuta in The Cup? Both those Aussies will make it interesting, they aren't coming for the beer.

3 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Great song  . And not even the greatest reinsman in Nz harness racing history history in Marky Boy could produce Magic and abracadabra type tricks t get the 'Fly Like an Eagle' home with just one rein in that 2013  Ashburton Flying Stakes .

I bet he Probably thought about it  though ?? 🤣😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

LB, just watched SOSt L,Swayzee go around in a trial, SOSt L seem to handle the standing start really good and was doing good work up the straight. Do you think he's any chance of toppling Akuta in The Cup? Both those Aussies will make it interesting, they aren't coming for the beer.

used to be just Lion Red and DB you had there once , is there a bit more variety these days ?🍺 🍻

Akuta wins the Cup. last 2 runs have been dominant. No Copy That in the Cup this year helps no end as well. 

Swayzee doesn't deserve it  🙄. was just paddling early this year for Tim Butt ( 8 unplaced mid-week lower class runs in Brisbane ) and jumps out of the ground for Grimson .. yeah sure 😳 . could hardly pick it's feet up to get in the race in February and March.   Spirit Of St Louis is my favourite Oz horse racing and got held up late on,  that stopped him winning the Victoria Cup the other day at his last start IMO . ran into the back of leader late on while Act Now was in the clear out wide....He was 50-1 odds too which would of been dandy 💰. He's a chance in whatever race he goes in .( 17 starts for 7 wins and 5 seconds for 1/2 $million this year ) Big swag of kiwi and Oz owners . He deserves It !! 

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2023 at 5:52 PM, Lightning Blue said:

Swayzee doesn't deserve it  🙄. was just paddling early this year for Tim Butt

Agree, waste of a plane fare imo. Spirit deserves a go, he is an ex kiwi horse and one of the best Sweet Lou,s so far. Would have to be held up for a run at them but quite capable. Hope my smokey Old Town Road gets a good run and is handy as he possesses a lethal finish. And my fav Self Assured who should be cherry ripe and fit after plenty of lead up races , and never runs a bad race. Older horses have won the Cup before, going back to James 8 yr, Blossom Lady 8yr, Monkey King 8yr, Cruz Bromac 8yr, Flashing Red both as a 9 and 10 yr old,and Bonnies Chance -Robalan at 7yrs. 

• Thanks 1

time -honoured Kaikoura Cup is run tomorrow with Plenty of Spring Champions taking it out on the road to the Nz Cup.

Look at those crowds inside the running rail !! amazing stuff !!!

you'll be glad to know Mark re-attached his rein after that loss at Ashburton (photo above) and went to Kaikoura and took the Cup there with Fly Like An Eagle not long after.

with Nz and Aus having some great tussles in rugby league, cricket and racing lately here are interesting Spring Champion photo's from Kaikoura. Winning the Kaikoura Cup .

Question 1 / Who are the winners ?

Question 2/ WHo are the winning drivers ?     (what feat did they achieve after 100 years of Nz Cups history? )

images.jpg.d618da583356802f50243ce1ad108630.jpgdownload.jpg.f17bad1cc0d8444b357a5e2ae3ce85a5.jpg

3 hours ago, Blackie said:

Two ladies(Aussie ladies at that) in Natalie Rasmussen & Kerryn Manning driving the same horse there, Arden Rooney.

First females to drive a NZ Cup winner, Kerryn with him and Nat with The Fixer.

Too good Blackie. didn't trick you for a second . was going for the different colours illusion trick. you scored 6/6 with that answer and school Dux as well 🍻

Great win today by AKUTA in the Kaikoura Cup . looping from near last again. He's just too good for them these days.

What a great day out that looks at Kaikoura too . must try and attend one of these days !! . Might ask old mate Grant if I can borrow 'Leap To Fame' for a couple of weeks next year or after 😁👍🏆

On 9/14/2023 at 7:31 PM, Globederby19 said:

Blossom Lady and Anthony Butt. Great horse.

Champion horse,trainer and driver. Loved the Bloss,she was an absolute sweetheart. And those that know me know that Ants is my fave driver,tho a shame he's no longer driving here,but still try and follow him over the ditch,tho not driving as much these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

Champion horse,trainer and driver. Loved the Bloss,she was an absolute sweetheart. And those that know me know that Ants is my fave driver,tho a shame he's no longer driving here,but still try and follow him over the ditch,tho not driving as much these days.

Here's one for Mardy then . Anthony winning the Interdominion Trot Grand Final. Trained by brother Tim .

remember this bloke Mardy ??   If you take a moment it might come back to ya 👍😆

The last time the Interdominon was held in Brisbane more than 2 decades ago . Just a few Weeks till it's here again !!! 

Maybe Anthony can Win it again this year 🏆 as bound to bring along one of partner Sonya's Trotters. (Tim and Son already here in Brisbane past couple of years,  and I believe Riley is just hours away from his first runner as a Trainer Race 3 at Albion Tuesday. )   take-a-moment-2.jpg.1649a9ab8d02f77dfff8dcfeec656963.jpg