The Race Place

Spring Harness Racing Champions

Lightning Blue

1 hour ago, Double R said:

Terror To ???.

Smoken ??.

Highview ??

Someone else can complete the names.

Yeah he sure is a beauty Robert . 3 Nz Cups wins just like 'False Step' at the beginning of the thread. Can 'Copy That' join them with a 3rd Cup this year? 

TERROR TO LOVE did start in a 4th Nz Cup too. and ran 4th.  Bet you can't name the 3 horses that beat him home. ??  

7 minutes ago, Double R said:

Adore Me.

Franco Nelson.

For A Reason.

Love your work there Robert. you've nailed 3 more Spring Champions and here they come now charging up the Addington straight ...

5 Champions in a row  !! 

Adore Me (Mark Purdon) on the laft side here in photo out wide on the track and winner by a head from John Dunn who tried to steal it in red colours on the right with Franco Nelson. bad luck John.  2nd beaten by Allstars again.  A world record time was run in this race too . 

In the centre is Luke McCarthy for the Aussies in blue/green colours with For A Reason in 3rd... Terror to Love White Bridle 4th .

Behind Adore Me is Christen Me with Dexter Dunn  driving a close 5th after missing the start. what a great Finish !!🏆

DSC03055.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I backed Franco Nelson. 

A gutting memory. 7/7 in the betting.

2014 seems like a lifetime ago.

oh dear . a narrow loss but went Very close. i was on Christen Me and swore black and blue to always take Allstars thereafter. 

(of course Christen Me then won the NZ FFA on showday 3 days later defeating Adore Me and Franco Nelson . ) and I didn't back up lol.

31 minutes ago, Blackie said:

And Hans Christian in the background further back for your girl Natalie , Lightning 😊.

The lovely Queensland lass got me good. The Allstars juggernaut that I swore to not bet against again , and yet 4 years after the Adore Me Cup and Natalie is Knocking off all my nice Aussie runner Tiger Tara for Todd McCarthy at' 9-1 odds multi's to win a fortune' by a  head . I'm NOT even going to repeat that horses name as too much swearing now 😂🤣

Got a bit of the punishment Happy Sunrise got dished up with Franco Nelson unfortunately. 

THEFIXERWIN2572.thumb.jpg.70f15daa86416efc491cb38747f9090e.jpg

• Like 1

The Fixer taking the Crown there in the Cup of 2018 .

This win drained him a bit. as Never won another race in New Zealand after that. Had NO WINS in his last 2 seasons.

Here's a photo of todays Spring Champion (On the Left )  and was The FIXER's last start in a race. A gallant 3rd in the centre in R Todd colours after leading.

He (The Fixer)  had 2 fellow Bettor's Delight (out of Christian Cullen mares) power past him the last bit. 

I Love this photo as it looks like Mark is looking across thinking "WTF is this guy actually gunna beat me ?  " 😆  (a rare occurance 🤣)

1/ Who are the 2 horses defeating THE Fixer ? 

and hard question 2/ Why was this a unique 'one and only' win for the Victor ?  

download.jpg.dac661706a1b170b3626450e98aab644.jpg

10 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Pembrook Playboy as a four yr old. Only race he won at the Met. Never won as a five or six yr old. Second was Self Assured. ,

That's It . Spot on Rees !!. was surprised to learn that was Pembrook Playboy's only Addington win in that Summer Cup (by 1/2 head).  defeating two NewZealand Cup winners in Self Assured and The Fixer.  He looks very 'stylish' and looked like he could be a Spring Champion too , but ultimately his other 10 wins were all in Southland/Otago so didn't even earn over $200k in stakes,  so a bit of a flopperoonie in the end. 

The second Placed horse in the photo above,  SELF ASSURED going on to win The Race,  the last two Auckland Cups , The NZ FFA (current Champion of that race in Cup week) .....

Not Just a Spring Champion , but a dead set champion All year round .

today's question then .

1/  Who will beat him this year to win the 2023 Nz Cup and be the ultimate Spring Champion 😉?  or will they not be able too ?

1604989993200.thumb.jpg.db5c6cbf268cbfb622daf59c9658fd94.jpg

15 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

They won't. It's his year again. Full stop....

well that was 2020 mate, a while back now,.......Self Assured racing away from Spankem on that occasion.   

Since then Self Assured has been well beat by Copy That in the past 2 Cups Pretty sure you're right that Mark won't let that happen a 3rd time lol. 

Could be the same Driver's Quinella , seems a safe bet, with Mark jumping on this great horse Akuta. (Nat onto Self Assured) 

So here's the 2023 New Zealand Cup 🏆 preview PHOTO  😂.....  (borrowed from another Group 1 race run a year ago). 

( Franco Mac kindly 'subbing in' for Self Assured for dramatic purposes in this preview photo lol  )  

AKUTAA05I1081.thumb.jpg.acab341ee3eb29e7031136de10bf397e.jpg

4 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

Pretty sure you're right that Mark won't let that happen a 3rd time lol. 

I hope so. He is an iron horse and can make his own luck ,and at his age tough as teak.If one watches the last two cups you see Copy That stacked them up for the last sprint. The 2021 Cup , Self Assured was midfield then ground around them when the pace went on and didn't give in to run second. In the 2022 Cup ,Self Assured was at one stage 6 back on the inside. Got out with 3/4 of a lap to go when the pace went on, ran out of room on the turn and bobbled, but powered home for a close 5th. He might not be the fastest horse away from a stand, but for mine given a decent run in transit, wins. 54 from 57 in the money says class and one of the best to race in NZ for a while. 

One feature of the Spring Champions is/ was the ability to Win the New Zealand Cup - NZ Free-For-All double in Cup week.

The Double Cup winner Lazarus pulled off the double , as well as winning the 2 Main Spring lead up races of the Canterbury Classic and the Ashburton Flying Stakes as he was that dominant over his rivals in recent years. 

Previously mentioned Spring Champions of the past Cardigan Bay and Lordship pulled off the Big Cup week double Nz Cup- FFA  with champion style. 

Here's some more then..........

Q1/  Who is this grand performer in this great photo , who pulled off the Cup week double ?

Q2/ The year before her great rival also won the double . with this horse in photo below 2nd in both races. Who was it that beat her? 

DSC03050.JPG

4 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

One feature of the Spring Champions is/ was the ability to Win the New Zealand Cup - NZ Free-For-All double in Cup week.

The Double Cup winner Lazarus pulled off the double , as well as winning the 2 Main Spring lead up races of the Canterbury Classic and the Ashburton Flying Stakes as he was that dominant over his rivals in recent years. 

Previously mentioned Spring Champions of the past Cardigan Bay and Lordship pulled off the Big Cup week double Nz Cup- FFA  with champion style. 

Here's some more then..........

Q1/  Who is this grand performer in this great photo , who pulled off the Cup week double ?

Q2/ The year before her great rival also won the double . with this horse in photo below 2nd in both races. Who was it that beat her? 

DSC03050.JPG

bonnie’s chance and armalight

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Singing canary said:

bonnie’s chance and armalight

yep . They ran the Quinella in both races for 2 years Straight !!   what a great pair they were.

1981 Nz Cup /    Armalight 1st - Bonnies Chance 2nd  Quinella $42.    (Armalight won by 7 lengths)        

1981 Nz FFA/     Armalight 1st - Bonnies Chance 2nd   Quinella $9.30

1982 Nz Cup/    Bonnies Chance 1st - Armalight 2nd    Quinella  $6.25  ( Bonnies Chance won by 7 lengths )  

1982 Nz FFA /    Bonnies Chance 1st - Armaight 2nd    Quinella  $3.20  

Not long after they also ran quinella in the Nz Standardbred breeders Stakes too. Quinella $1.40  😆 everyone awake to it by then lol.  

Armalight going on to win the Auckland Cup soon after. Bonnies Chance pipped into 2nd place by Aussie raider Gammalite the previous year , to just deny the great mares the Complete set of Group 1 Features between them.....  . 

• Like 1

Well we can't let the girls have all the fun. A couple of rivals for Delightful Lady , Armalight and Bonnies Chance were a pair of Addingtons favourite Boys.

1/ Here is one now in a great photo powering to victory on Show Day (to take the BIG Nz Cup -Nz FFA double). Who is this star ?

2/ The Horse inside him there running 2nd also Pulled off the Big Double the year before to be a Spring Champion too  > Remember Him ? 

DSC03071.JPG

• Like 1

Well no-one has nailed the great Hands Down with Peter Jones , seen winning the Nz FFA over Lord Module in the photo above ,that was just days after the great win over Delightful Lady in the Cup itself. I thought his famous  'telescopic' blinds would of given it away.

Neverthe Less , zip forward a few years and Derek is at it again . Now giving Peter the flick and opting for a grand-son to drive instead. 😁

1/ So who is this taking out the BIG Nz Cup - FFA double ?

2/ Who is the Grandson ? 😉

download.jpg.f0d86a3368b091dfd0bccdb15ece576a.jpg download.jpg.e30ea174f72624b47e84718e1237a834.jpg

How chilled is this bloke ? cool as a cucumber..... todays photo Spring Champion had also taken the Big Cup week Nz Cup and Nz FFA Double just a few weeks prior ,, near asleep in the box and shortly after is 'posing for the camera' , getting strapped in to take out the biggest prize-money race ever run in New Zealand at that stage.     (He won it easily by lengths)

The old Auckland 'block boxes' they had for years  , instead of nice race day stalls or barn. The horses used to paw at the walls constantly and drive you up the wall a lot of the time !!  probably where that saying came from lol..😂🤣

Rather annoyingly 🤕 this little bloke had knocked off Lightning Blue in the Harold Park time honoured Miracle Mile just a month before this photo too.😀

1/ Who is this weeks Spring Champion ?  (clue = with Blue Spots on his colours you can't see here) 

2/ What Mighty winning Feat had he pulled off when he Won the race here at Auckland to bring up a Quaddie .  ? 

DSC03077.JPG