The Race Place

What is going on?

Royal Nod

12 hours ago, Royal Nod said:

Surprising that Nat didn’t turn up last Friday to drive Self Assured.  Now she isn’t standing in for Mark on Milwood Nike.  Is she away or has she given up driving?  I wonder if she will make an appearance on Cup Day?

Certainly a mystery Nod.

With Copy That out of the Cup, will that mean Blair Orange will be driving Republican Party now?

Cheers.

Robert.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Royal Nod said:

Surprising that Nat didn’t turn up last Friday to drive Self Assured.  Now she isn’t standing in for Mark on Milwood Nike.  Is she away or has she given up driving?  I wonder if she will make an appearance on Cup Day?

A very valid question for punters and others.

If it were a public-worthy reason (covid, holiday, injury, giving younger ones a go etc.) the likes of Guerin would have said it because he loves to disseminate news like this. He would be mentioning the future implications going forward to the NZ Cup if there were any, and who would be driving who etc. He has always had a direct line to them so his silence indicates it is private (in my opinion)

No big guns from the stable at Methven for the Cup so a change in plans there from previous years but probably more scheduling than anything to blame. With Copy That out of the race the All-Stars have a much stronger hold over the race now. Akuta, with a reasonable run, wins in my view.

And did the TAB know Copy That was sore and left him in their readjusted market to tempt punters this week? Akuta into 2.75 and Copy That at 9s? Then it became public he is lame not long after.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

If it were a public-worthy reason (covid, holiday, injury, giving younger ones a go etc.) the likes of Guerin would have said it because he loves to disseminate news like this. He would be mentioning the future implications

Was waiting for Greg and Mick to tell us on the BOX Seat broadcast but they said nothing 🙄. so now I'm getting a bit worried about my fav QLD lass 😔 , but she wasn't driving through last month either , which sort of suggests an overseas vacation maybe . (in their summer) A lot of people did that this year now the borders are flowing after the 3 year virus hiccups with travel.  Natalie was still driving for Mark and Nathan through August. but getting close to the Cup and Derby and Sires Stakes time now...

2 hours ago, Royal Nod said:

Would certainly expect so. Blair has always really liked him.

That is wonderful Nod.

Reading this morning about Olivia Thornley driving Millwood Nike, it says that Mark Purdon, and Blair Orange are suspended, and Rasmusson is sidelined.

Cheers.

Robert.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Double R said:

That is wonderful Nod.

Reading this morning about Olivia Thornley driving Millwood Nike, it says that Mark Purdon, and Blair Orange are suspended, and Rasmusson is sidelined.

Cheers.

Robert.

Thanks Robert.  I’m not sure what the purpose is of having a suspended & unavailable list on HRNZ website when it was last updated on 31 st August 

44 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

It is up to date on HRNZ.

Earlier in week Blair Orange was on the list of 'Suspended and Unavailable drivers ' but Mark wasn't . Must of been slow to up-date..... So i had a rummage around on his drives from last week at Addington where found the  Whip offence things stewards were grizzling about . A warning then suspension on 2 of his drives. As if Mark Purdon doesn't know how to drive to win lol.😂 

can't be much bad driving going on to 'Call out the Best there is' lol😂

race1.png.c18d00b692f6b1a3ec2ac43804d5b5cd.png

On 10/5/2023 at 11:11 AM, Double R said:

Reading this morning about Olivia Thornley driving Millwood Nike

What a run sitting parked all the way, and a quick time to boot. The horse just glides over the ground, even under pressure. That was first up !!, 15th in a row, gee how good can this animal get. 

Test run. Ignore.

Edited by Globederby19

On 10/4/2023 at 9:21 AM, Royal Nod said:

Common knowledge that she has had a minor op programmed for quite a while.Is expected back driving about 13th October I believe

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richie said:

Common knowledge that she has had a minor op programmed for quite a while.Is expected back driving about 13th October I believe

Good to know she'll be back on deck in sulky shortly . junior Olivia Thornley filled in with 3 winners last night . driving like Nat.  that'll cheer them all up😊 .

3 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Good to know she'll be back on deck in sulky shortly . junior Olivia Thornley filled in with 3 winners last night . driving like Nat.  that'll cheer them all up😊 .

I havent really rated Olivia until last 6 months.She seems to have more confidence now to drive good horses like they best horse in the race

On 10/6/2023 at 10:29 AM, Globederby19 said:

What a run sitting parked all the way, and a quick time to boot. The horse just glides over the ground, even under pressure. That was first up !!, 15th in a row, gee how good can this animal get. 

The Winx of harness racing 

21 hours ago, Maximus said:

really? How many races has this standardbred won on end? How many Group 1s?

MM

Millwood Nike  15 wins from 15 starts so far Max. She has raced just Fillies so far with the 4 Group 1 wins . That was the 2 year old and 3 year old Sires stakes for Fillies and the Great Northern Oaks back in May (her 14th start) .. she has just resumed now getting ready for the Nz Oaks Grup 1 next month at Addington.

A filly can easily be dominant so it's Not particularly un-usual. Bettor Twist recently dominated around Nz as a 2 and 3 year old but couldn't go on with it , when turned 4.

In Aus 'Ladies in Red' races this Saturday Melton in a big Group mare's race  . she dominated at 2 and 3 in fillies grade as well . 27 starts for 22 wins and 5 x seconds.  she was 3 x beaten by a stable-mate 'Tough Tilly'  who is also in this Saturday race. and is finding it 'Tougher now in older grade  😂 just 2 wins from 7 as a 4 year old.

I'm thinking Millwood Nike will Not be Quite as great next year at 4 when taking on the 'boys' .

8 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Far better profile pic LB

Blacks A Fake . He had the Winx form for a good long while . 70 odd wins from 100 starts. not bad.  been near 20 years since you won a Victoria Cup though Blackie . 

(Blackie is Blacks A Fake stable name )

Who's winning this years one (Victoria Cup this Saturday night )  then Blackie ?  After all this time can it be another Queenslander at last ??  LEAP TO FAME .  It's a great field of the best in the nation currently.   (I'm not confident after the Lions and Bronco's narrow defeats lately 😁)

PRYDE'S EASIFEED VICTORIA CUP 2240M
$300,000 Pacers. RBD. PACERS. Mobile  2ND LEG DAILY DOUBLE, 3RD LEG QUADDIE
  Form Horse Trainer Other Eng. Driver   Class  Hcp  
1 75121 BETTER ECLIPSE  Jess Tubbs   Greg Sugars   NR120  FR1  
2 2113s HONOLUA BAY  Emma Stewart   David Moran   NR120  FR2  
3 12041 BULLETPROOF BOY (Em 1)  Scott Ewen   Scott Ewen   NR120  FR-  
4 s2115 ROCK N ROLL DOO NZ  Michael Stanley   Michael Stanley   NR120  FR3  
5 12121 LEAP TO FAME  Grant Dixon   Grant Dixon   NR120  FR4  
6 s2185 CATCH A WAVE  Andy Gath   Kate Gath   NR120  FR5  
7 18111 AMORE VITA NZ  Emma Stewart   Chris Alford   NR120  FR6  
 ------------------------------ Second Row ------------------------------ 
8 16554 MACH DAN  Emma Stewart   Mark Pitt   NR120  SR1  
9 01111 HI MANAMEISJEFF NZ  Jason Grimson   Cameron Hart   NR114  SR2  
10 127s3 CAPTAIN RAVISHING  Ahmed Taiba   Nathan Jack   NR102  SR3  
11 2s413 ACT NOW  Emma Stewart   Jodi Quinlan   NR120  SR4  
12 18111 ENCIPHER  Emma Stewart   Kate Gath   NR120  SR5  
13 20121 SPIRIT OF ST LOUIS NZ  Belinda McCarthy   Jack Callaghan (C)   NR120  SR6

• 5 weeks later...