The Race Place

Maxi's $100 Challenge -results and updates

Day 1 Wrap

Fifteen brave souls began Maxi's $100 Challenge at Reefton today. Only five of 'em made a winning start.

CURIOUS takes the early lead, amassing $1100 from 2x $50 Win bets (King Cougar/Mormaire) at double-figure odds.
Steve P found the Cup winner Follow Your Dreams @ $5.50 for a very pleasant $550 return.
Dancing Show (Maria) scored a tidy $300 from one Top3 divvie.
Of the others only pete ($160) and Max ($105) are ‘in the black’, though Mardy got some of his outlay back ($52.50).

Underway in the Challenge but 'in the red' early are: Mardy, barryb, Hesi, LFV, OM, Howie, Tonkatime, Smiler, Rayzor and brown fox (Graeme)

Early, early days.

MM

Day 2 Wrap -Matamata

A baker’s dozen (ffs, that’s 13 of us) had a crack at the Matamata gallops, including Challenge debutants Gazza and Lightning Blue.
Dancing Show (aka Maria) is boogeying on, doubling down on her $300 return yesterday with another canny Top3 divvie from winner Pax Mundi @$3.00.
Howie recovered from a blob yesterday with $200 from Te Akau debutant Qali al Farrasha finishing in the Top2.

The only other success was pete with $140 from $7 shot Farewell to Eire. Everyone else who tried, failed barryb, LFV, OM, Curious, Mardy, Max, Smiler, Rayzor, brown fox and LB.

Perhaps the unluckiest was Smiler’s 5-race place Multi, killed on the last leg with the well-backed failure Matakana Girl for a $600+ return.

After 2 of 37 days, tearaway leader Curious ($1100) leads Maria ($600) and Steve P ($550).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Day 2 Wrap -Matamata

A baker’s dozen (ffs, that’s 13 of us) had a crack at the Matamata gallops, including Challenge debutants Gazza and Lightning Blue.
Dancing Show (aka Maria) is boogeying on, doubling down on her $300 return yesterday with another canny Top3 divvie from winner Pax Mundi @$3.00.
Howie recovered from a blob yesterday with $200 from Te Akau debutant Qali al Farrasha finishing in the Top2.

The only other success was pete with $140 from $7 shot Farewell to Eire. Everyone else who tried, failed barryb, LFV, OM, Curious, Mardy, Max, Smiler, Rayzor, brown fox and LB.

Perhaps the unluckiest was Smiler’s 5-race place Multi, killed on the last leg with the well-backed failure Matakana Girl for a $600+ return.

After 2 of 37 days, tearaway leader Curious ($1100) leads Maria ($600) and Steve P ($550).

Max it was $200 because it was on bet365. SOP was $10.

5 minutes ago, pete said:

Max it was $200 because it was on bet365. SOP was $10.

This is what you posted, old son ..are you saying we should accept the SOP rather than the $7 you declared when placing the bet?
Farewell To Eire @ $7 

5 minutes ago, Maximus said:

This is what you posted, old son ..are you saying we should accept the SOP rather than the $7 you declared when placing the bet?
Farewell To Eire @ $7 

Oh not this again. That's the whole fucking idea. You get paid out at the higher of the price when you put the bet on or the SOP.

I have the proof if you doubt me. It's standard bet365 terms.

1 minute ago, Maximus said:

dont doubt you for a minute, but I think for the sake of simplicity we should agree that the odds taken at the time apply (for those who choose platforms outside NZ) Is that OK with you?

MM

No it isn't and that's not what was agreed.

Forget it I'm pulling out. You're talking a load of crap.

You might as well just say everyone gets tote prices 

Totally ridiculous. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pete said:

No it isn't and that's not what was agreed.

Forget it I'm pulling out. You're talking a load of crap.

You might as well just say everyone gets tote prices 

Totally ridiculous. 

not just tote prices, you can take FO prices on any betting platform. When you post 'em (early or up to an hour before start time) those are the odds that apply from the Comp point of view. SOPs are an unnecessary complication from a scoring / updates point of view - and not all of the participants have accounts with bet365 or whoever.
Pull out if you wish though it'd be far more pleasant if you simply accepted this clarification early on in a long Comp.

MM

1 minute ago, pete said:

Your contest you do what you like.

Not for me as the original challenge wasn't on those terms at all.

You could of course reluctantly accept the amendment and keep a separate tally of the 'diff' over the 37 days.  

Your call.

MM

Just now, Maximus said:

You could of course reluctantly accept the amendment and keep a separate tally of the 'diff' over the 37 days.  

Your call.

MM

No I'm out. You've turned it into something that it wasn't. 

Bye bye. Ironically, it's you who turned it into a bunfight over bugger-all after criticising others for their argumentative approach to the proposed rules.
As you rightly say, this is Maxi's Challenge, and I want to keep this Comp manageable day by day, since I will be doin' most of the work over the next few weeks.

3 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Bye bye. Ironically, it's you who turned it into a bunfight over bugger-all after criticising others for their argumentative approach to the proposed rules.
As you rightly say, this is Maxi's Challenge, and I want to keep this Comp manageable day by day, since I will be doin' most of the work over the next few weeks.

Enjoy yourself.

• Like 1

Well look what i said last week.You read this and said other betting agencies were ok.

"agree that it probably needs clarification when there's prize money involved. Maybe just restrict it to NZ TAB prices to save people worrying about people like me getting some sort of 'advantage'"

• Like 1

Other betting agencies ARE OK ..but when you post FO bet at (say) $7 and it ends up blowing out to $10, well in my Comp, with my prize and my work involving 37 days of updates from 15+ tipsters you get the return you took the bet at. Simple. Fair to all participants (many of whom do not use 'other agencies'. Easier on poor Max..

End of story.

MM

18 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Other betting agencies ARE OK ..but when you post FO bet at (say) $7 and it ends up blowing out to $10, well in my Comp, with my prize and my work involving 37 days of updates from 15+ tipsters you get the return you took the bet at. Simple. Fair to all participants (many of whom do not use 'other agencies'. Easier on poor Max..

End of story.

MM

Well that sucks. How bout you keep the prize money and we go back to Barry's rules? Just because you can't make sense of it doesn't mean its wrong. I'm with Pete on this. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Maximus said:

End of story.

MM

Pete took the bet for a return of $7 or SOP, whichever was higher. In this case, the SOP of $10 was higher. That seems to comply with your rule as far as I can see Max.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Maximus said:

End of story.

MM

What a lame justification.

Firstly, you don't need to have a 365 account to simulate betting on it. Just note the price at the time you're taking the simulated bet and compare to THE SOP in the race result.

Secondly, you seem to be blissfully unaware of the fact that SP bets are available on the NZ TAB.

Thirdly, 'easier on poor Max' indicates to me that you don't have the intellectual capacity to run a simple competition like this.

Maybe you should have thought of that before you climbed in and took this over.

Very sad state. Imagine if someone put up SP on Betfair. Max would be in a tiz. Price at SP could be down to individual cents. And then there is commission to factor in. Oh what to do and how to calculate it.

Yet, that was supposed to be the idea. How much you can profit under the betting scenario. Not how much you can profit using Max's methods.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, pete said:

Secondly, you seem to be blissfully unaware of the fact that SP bets are available on the NZ TAB

are SP bets on the NZ TAB the same?

do they pay out higher of the starting price and price when bet placed?  

or do they just pay out the starting price regardless? 

47 minutes ago, barryb said:

in a comp that was designed to find who can return a profit over a period

it wasn't designed purely to find who can return a profit because it was restricted to NZ races, with Aus races excluded

NZ TAB prices is just a further restriction

Fair enough, gentlemen, I accept the criticism.

My intention was to have a bit of fun along similar lines to barry's Xmas/New Year comp but updating things day by day over 6-7 weeks.  Hard to do when you cant post scores with any confidence.

Didn't for a moment expect to get caught up in this kind of crapola. Very sad. Good intentions, poor outcome.

Those who want to stay in under the current rules, feel free to do so...if people stop posting, the Comp will die a natural death. 
pete, barry and the so-called 'big boys; can still do their Challenge for those who have the "'intellectual capacity". LMFAO.

MM

1 hour ago, Our Maizcay said:

are SP bets on the NZ TAB the same?

do they pay out higher of the starting price and price when bet placed?  

or do they just pay out the starting price regardless? 

As Barry said, SP only.

That's what makes 365 so attractive. You don't have to try and work out which way the price is going to go.

I think everyone has shared the frustration of taking a winning FO bet at $6 and the horse's SP is $12 as an example.