The Race Place

Gee Whizz, Golriz

Maximus

A few observations on the first political scandal of 2024.

- At least she has done the right thing by resigning as an MP. 

- All MPs have extremely stressful jobs/lives; if, as it appears, the root cause of her recent behavioural issues is poor mental health, she should have taken sick leave long before now. That's what it's there for, and there are plenty of precedents (Todd Muller, for one.)  Saying "I am not (mentally) well" after becoming aware that you are being investigated for alleged theft, is an excuse, not an explanation, however much you try to say you're not using it as an excuse.

Golriz is by no means the first MP to depart NZ politics feeling they have "let a lot of people down". She won't be the last and will hopefully move on to a role more suitable to her skills and experience - when she has revered, of course.

The only upside to all this publicity, from Maxi's perspective, is that I will be able to spell and pronounce her name properly.

MM

My opinion is that I get sick of people ringing up talkback and saying, I have a stressful life, but I don't go out shoplifting.  Everyone handles stress in different ways.

GG (good notation for a horse racing site lol), is a very accomplished woman, achieving a lot in such a short life, so what she has done is very much out of character, a hard to understand character flaw, especially considering the consequences

A term I have not heard mentioned in all this, is kleptomania, the irresistible urge to steal when the person is not really short of possessions etc.  A recognised condition, that very little is understood about, one that it is possibly believed is inherited as it is known to run in a family.

I think GG should just have admitted she screwed up apologised and resigned.  Left out the bit about mental health, it lacks credibility to say that and demeans others with genuine mental health issues, such as the young people who take their own lives.  After all, she has lived a very stressful life, before she ever got to be an MP and come through, so that is where the credibilty or lack of it comes in.

9 hours ago, Hesi said:

A term I have not heard mentioned in all this, is kleptomania, the irresistible urge to steal when the person is not really short of possessions etc.

It was the first thing I thought of Hesi. I never bought into the stress excuse. Some underlying character traits that haven't been dealt with and were exacerbated by a "cant touch me " mentality in a position of power maybe.  ?.   Pity really for an obviously intelligent /attractive  human being.  

As a very ironic comment on this, a store selling a dress for $7K, who is stealing off who lol.

I've known 3 people who were/are kleptomaniacs, people on this site probably have known similar.  The pattern of behaviour is, they had been doing it for a long time.

I think it is a condition that is hard to understand, but it is real.  Just like people taking the severe step of ending their own lives is hard to understand, but there is no doubt that is real, because people do it.

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

As a very ironic comment on this, a store selling a dress for $7K, who is stealing off who lol.

I've known 3 people who were/are kleptomaniacs, people on this site probably have known similar.  The pattern of behaviour is, they had been doing it for a long time.

I think it is a condition that is hard to understand, but it is real.  Just like people taking the severe step of ending their own lives is hard to understand, but there is no doubt that is real, because people do it.

No surprises that the Hesi-meister is quick to make allowances/excuse criminal behaviour. Kleptomania, my ass!  If one assumes that she's done this more than once, does that make her addicted to it? And would that be an excuse? FFS the woman has a law degree from Oxford and if she had an ounce of moral fibre would have sought help for her 'mental illness that led to such out of character behaviour(s) at the first opportunity. But no, she in effect admitted responsibility only when caught and couldnt escape the consequences.
This country is going down such a steep slippery slope, looking to instantly explain away / excuse / minimise this kind of crap behaviour from people who have sworn to serve the public who not only pay their wages but expect leadership based on integrity, honesty and sincerity.

Bottom line: GG only resigned cos she got caught. I doubt she is the only one doing us all such a disservice.

MM

• Thanks 1

Don't talk crap Maxi.  I'm not making excuses or allowances for criminal behaviour

It is about looking for reasons why someone with so much going for them, would do something like this, when the consequences are so great, and she would know very well, that the chances of getting caught are high.  It is not about making excuses

Someone mentioned this in the Herald letters this morning.

"Strange shoplifting allegations

So Golriz Ghahraman has resigned from Parliament after three shoplifting allegations and she blames a decline in mental health for her actions.

Quite strange that her mental health only saw her allegedly shoplift from high-end boutiques.

Mark Young, Ōrewa"

Typical of a lot of social media comment Pete

It still does not explain why she has done it and thrown away a potential glittering career.

That is what I am interested in, why, is she inherently dishonest, a character trait that she has been able to keep hidden up until now, is it an irresistible urge to steal 

A lot probably don't care why

Easy to condemn her, anyone with half a brain can do that, and she has screwed up and will have to accept the consequences, with a criminal record, now the police intend to lay charges......but why?

24 minutes ago, Hesi said:

It still does not explain why she has done it and thrown away a potential glittering career.

That is what I am interested in, why, is she inherently dishonest, a character trait that she has been able to keep hidden up until now, is it an irresistible urge to steal 

Easy to condemn her, anyone with half a brain can do that, and she has screwed up and will have to accept the consequences, with a criminal record, now the police intend to lay charges......but why?

It isn't really a social media comment. Du Fresne is a very well respected journalist so what you're reading there is no different from reading a column in a daily newspaper.

You can't just dismiss anything you disagree with as a 'typical social media comment'.

Why wasn't she caught stealing from Countdown or New World? If you're really that way inclined you'd be up to it all over the place.

If you care to delve a bit further you'll see that a lot of her back story doesn't stack up either. 

Glittering career? Really?

35 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Also if you read the article properly you'll see that he actually felt sorry for her until the MSM piled in and turned her into a victim.

2 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Karl Du Fresne pushing his usual barrow of the press being left wing

Yeah and he's bloody right. You'd need a blindfold on not to see that.

Anyway...

Edited by pete
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, pete said:

It isn't really a social media comment. Du Fresne is a very well respected journalist so what you're reading there is no different from reading a column in a daily newspaper.

You can't just dismiss anything you disagree with as a 'typical social media comment'.

Why wasn't she caught stealing from Countdown or New World? If you're really that way inclined you'd be up to it all over the place.

If you care to delve a bit further you'll see that a lot of her back story doesn't stack up either. 

Glittering career? Really?

That is the thing, we don't know what other allegations will surface and from where.

Potentially glittering career, a lawyer, an MP, is better than most of the population achieve

14 minutes ago, pete said:

She's been turned into the victim.

If I have a bad day is it OK for me to go and steal something?

Of course not, but why do some people steal, and not out of necessity, when the consequences are huge

11 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Of course not, but why do some people steal, and not out of necessity, when the consequences are huge

You could ask that about any serious crime.

Maybe she was just arrogant enough to think she could get away with it.

12 minutes ago, Hesi said:

The lack of guile was mind-boggling.
The video showing her looking around to see if anyone was watching her place the handbag into her own bigger bag was childlike in its naivity.
If you're selling dresses for anything from $7K to $15K of course ya gonna have security cameras every which way. Ya don't need to be an Oxford graduate to work that out.
Then to go back and steal again from a place from which you've stolen only days before ! Like putting ya hand in the mouth of a tiger.
Clearly something had gone seriously awry with the cognitive processes of a woman who to that point had been universally recognised as intelligent.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pete said:

There is a quite often a clear motive of monetary gain to fund a lavish lifestyle of cars, boats, overseas trips and gambling with some of the serious crime you talk about.

The motive with GG is less clear