The Race Place

A few points from yesterday's racing

Hesi

1.  Can anyone explain the Trentham track.  Soft 7 yesterday and they raced as though it was a G4, not coming wide on the turn.  Jan 21 a S5 track and from R5 on they all come wide on the turn.  Jan 27 S6 and abandoned after R4

2.  The NZ Oaks, G1, the best of the best, yet it was without doubt a race for the 3rd best filly in NZ

3.  A reality check in Aus with the All Star Mile.  Probably our 2 best milers, not so much that they finished well down the track, but made to look ordinary by the top Aus milers.  A reminder that, because you have a good horse here, there are many good horses in Aus 

14 minutes ago, Hesi said:

1.  Can anyone explain the Trentham track.  Soft 7 yesterday and they raced as though it was a G4, not coming wide on the turn.  Jan 21 a S5 track and from R5 on they all come wide on the turn.  Jan 27 S6 and abandoned after R4

2.  The NZ Oaks, G1, the best of the best, yet it was without doubt a race for the 3rd best filly in NZ

3.  A reality check in Aus with the All Star Mile.  Probably our 2 best milers, not so much that they finished well down the track, but made to look ordinary by the top Aus milers.  A reminder that, because you have a good horse here, there are many good horses in Aus 

I can understand the lure of taking Puntura to the race but not the reality. After his failure 2 starts back they said he was going for a spell and then changed their minds.

Similarly, Desert Lightning was probably on the way down after an incredible summer.

I think it illustrates that you have to be on top of your game to even think about venturing over there for a big race.

• Like 1

Roger James seems to be a lot more focussed and selective.  Orchestral at this stage is only aiming for the Vinery, and on previous history, even if she wins, she will come home for a spell, with the Cox Plate the big target

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Isn't that because they've added irrigation so that the outside is watered to the same level as the inside, thereby taking away any outside advantage and mitigating the risk of it become slippery out there if they get rain on the day?

• Thanks 1

Okay thanks, missed that

RACE Trentham Track Update

Following the 27 January partial abandonment at RACE Trentham when horses slipped on an area of unirrigated ground wide on the track, the venue's irrigation system was reviewed and additional steps were taken to produce wider coverage on the outside of the home turn.

Following the solution being implemented, it has been extensively utilised to irrigate the area of concern wide on the course proper. The irrigation, combined with recent verti-drain use has resulted in more consistency between the inside and outside areas of the track.

3 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Yes, was just about to post about that disparity, 1.08.57 for 1200m on a S7

Fastest time I have over 1200m excluding the 2011 Telegraph on a S7.

The 2200/2400m races were also fastest I have for a S7+

Edited by mardigras

With regard to the Oaks, perhaps a look at stake money levels as it is our premier G1 staying event for 3 year old fillies, instead of some of the potentially imprudent spending on stakes elsewhere

13 minutes ago, Hesi said:

With regard to the Oaks, perhaps a look at stake money levels as it is our premier G1 staying event for 3 year old fillies, instead of some of the potentially imprudent spending on stakes elsewhere

They need to work out ways of protecting the integrity of G1 racing, particularly at age group level.  Restricted million and a half dollar sweepstake races are not a help.

• Like 1

Good God, you buggers are tough. I thought that the Trentham track played beautifully yesterday. Horses could win from the front or the back, on the fence or out wide. 
Every horse had a fair chance. 

Wasn’t the Oaks a proper race? Pace on all the way unlike like every race at Ellerslie where George says every single time, “they have reduced the pace appreciably”. And the best horse won.

Have a look at a replay of the last race and tell me that the best horse didn’t win there and it was paying $21+. I know because I backed it 😂

• Like 2