Jump to content
The Race Place

new schedule


mardigras
 Share

Recommended Posts

What a great opportunity this period has provided NZTR. An opportunity to think about how they do various things and how they might possibly do things better - with greater collaboration and input from some of their major participants.

So there has been a draft calendar put out.

And no doubt NZTR have organised some IT work allowing them to canvass trainers to allow the trainers to provide advance demand expectations.

Even something simple like class/bands across one axis and distance bands on the other axis - say covering a two week scenario. Have these available for say 8 weeks out, 6 weeks out and 4 weeks out.

They have the meetings scheduled, then they could use the demand from trainers to help define the race schedule. Demand based scheduling, not schedule events and hope there will be participants.

Of course, the trainers wouldn't be locked in to what they enter, it's about identifying where demand is likely to exist, to create a race schedule (taking into account what the lead times required are, and also feature races need not necessarily follow such a process). Quite simple in reality.

Of course I am no doubt about to read about this in some form of notice from NZTR or if not this, some other ideas they have come up with to improve things. Can't wait. 

Edited by mardigras
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In all the time I have been following NZ racing, I can't recall them doing something proactive, innovative or sensible, so don't hold your breath.

A new broom needed to sweep clean and get some new younger people in there with new ideas, along the lines of BGP, and I'm only using that as an example, I don't for a minute suggest they run the show:classic_smile:, but they have come up with some new concepts that have brought new life to the industry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mardigras said:

What a great opportunity this period has provided NZTR. An opportunity to think about how they do various things and how they might possibly do things better - with greater collaboration and input from some of their major participants.

So there has been a draft calendar put out.

And no doubt NZTR have organised some IT work allowing them to canvass trainers to allow the trainers to provide advance demand expectations.

Even something simple like class/bands across one axis and distance bands on the other axis - say covering a two week scenario. Have these available for say 8 weeks out, 6 weeks out and 4 weeks out.

They have the meetings scheduled, then they could use the demand from trainers to help define the race schedule. Demand based scheduling, not schedule events and hope there will be participants.

Of course, the trainers wouldn't be locked in to what they enter, it's about identifying where demand is likely to exist, to create a race schedule (taking into account what the lead times required are, and also feature races need not necessarily follow such a process). Quite simple in reality.

Of course I am no doubt about to read about this in some form of notice from NZTR or if not this, some other ideas they have come up with to improve things. Can't wait. 

I'm told the races will be open entry...but we will have to see how that eventuates.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes it will be interesting how the new calendar will look especially for 1st couple of months.

I believe carnivals initially are a no go zone for us.

With the likelihood that NZ Racing has limited funds possibly a Queensland approach putting NZ into zones.

ie: Ruakaka to Auckland

Waikato area

Central Districts

Canterbury

Otago/Southland

$10000 stakes plus if any open handicaps $15000

Bit boring but a start.

5 North Island zone meetings per week

2 South Island zone meetings.

No Group or listed races for 4 months.


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, pete said:

Here's the schedule according to Barry Lichter.

Running the Great Northerns in the middle of October seems peculiar to say the least.

https://www.lincolnfarms.co.nz/stories/guineas-races-move-north-in-draft-set-of-gallops-dates-for-the-new-season/

knee jerk stupidity reflecting the people that made the decisions - easily led, gullible jerks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Proposed programme for a return to racing

  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter
Dr Alan Jackson & Bernard Saundry
21 April 2020
Today we have released a proposed calendar for August through to early November to give owners, trainers and racing participants some certainty for the next six months.  This follows the RITA announcement for consultation of the revised racing calendar for the balance of the 2019/20 racing year earlier today, which included the month of July for Thoroughbred Racing.
 
We acknowledge that the situation in the national fight against COVID-19 is changing rapidly, and accordingly final decisions about the programme of racing for August-November will be made by early July.
 
We are targeting a return to racing from 1 July as long as we can do this safely and in accordance with the strict Government and public health obligations. 
 
The proposed calendar (which can be found here) remains subject to final approval by the RITA Dates Committee, following the usual consultation processes*.
 
We can’t confirm industry funding or stakes levels until we get more information from RITA on its 20/21 budget. We felt it was important that the industry get some draft racing dates so we can start getting horses ready for racing.
 
These are extreme circumstances and it is a difficult time for everyone in racing. Every Club, every venue, every trainer and every owner has been impacted in some significant form.
 
Key aspects of the proposed calendar through to early November:
  • Only 6 venues will be used in July
  • Venues chosen for the July racing return have been selected based on:
    • proximity to the horse population; and
    • commercially material cost savings for RITA by racing at tracks with broadcast transmission by low cost fibre rather than expensive satellite uplink
  • Revised Jumps racing programme only in the North Island
  • Revised Group & Listed programme 
  • The number of meetings and venues used builds up as the calendar progresses into the new season
  • Dates have been allocated on the assumption travel, and attendance, will be limited due to a COVID-19 alert level restriction.
The focus for the August through November period has been on allocation of meetings by Venue.  We reiterate that every Club has a role to play in the future of NZ racing and allocation of licences to Clubs will be considered as part of the consultation phase for 20/21.  
 
These are incredibly challenging times and we must focus on what is best for thoroughbred racing and what will get the most horses back racing as quickly as possible.
 
In working up the proposed calendar 55 trainers have been contacted, and then deeper discussions have been held with trainer representatives, the Pattern and Jumps Committees, club administrators and NZTR personnel.  
 
All those who worked on the calendar have had to step away from tradition, consider the future of the industry, and structure a calendar to fit this new environment. It’s a complex piece of work to deliver a cohesive spring calendar which will allow trainers and owners to plan campaigns for their horses. 
 
We would like to acknowledge those Clubs which could be adversely impacted, including the Canterbury JC.  While retaining their three-day NZ Cup Meeting it is proposed in the indicative calendar that the Guineas races could be transferred North for the 20/21 season only, depending on the NZTR Board’s assessment of the position in early July.
 
Looking beyond the resume racing phase, the NZTR Board is now focussed on a piece of work where we will move to reshape the industry’s future, but this has only just begun.
 
Thank you for your support of Thoroughbred Racing. 
   
Dr Alan Jackson, Chairman and Bernard Saundry, Chief Executive
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Note what they say about the 2 Guineas races

Guineas races could be transferred North for the 20/21 season only, depending on the NZTR Board’s assessment of the position in early July.

Unnecessary. if they couldn't run them in the SI, then they needn't be run. What is achieved by moving them? They're pawns.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When Racing re-commences I expect there'll be quite a few small race cards.

7 race cards perhaps.

I'm slightly disappointed no SI jump races after the meetings of interest with John Wheeler  and co.prior to COVID.

We have to make a start sometime however.

I've just txt my trainers what they think about restart...................if I get a reply I'll let you know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Hesi said:

It is actually a reduction of about 20 meetings on the same period last season(89 to 69).

So hardly dramatic, and they have knocked out a few venues, so not too much has changed

Sorry missed a page 109 down to 82, so they have dropped 27 meetings

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Hesi said:

It is actually a reduction of about 20 meetings on the same period last season(89 to 69).

So hardly dramatic, and they have knocked out a few venues, so not too much has changed

I'm certainly un-phased about how many meetings there are (apart from NZ has too many anyway imo). If they have adopted a program because of an issue around travel, then they should have adopted a program that has no black type. It's not a difficult notion.

There are two main issues with running a program based on a supposed inability to travel (I doubt that will be the case anyway) and still having black type , those being they expose themselves to risks around the pattern committee downgrading races because they simply can't get the quality required - and more importantly, if indeed there is still travel issues, the races are not open to the runners that would otherwise be able to run, which makes a mockery of the black type system. It's sheer stupidity come up with by stupid people.

And what a laugh -

"Looking beyond the resume racing phase, the NZTR Board is now focussed on a piece of work where we will move to reshape the industry’s future, but this has only just begun."

Why has this only just begun? Have they been asleep for the last month? Pathetic, and if it started a month ago or more, why not share some of their thinking - instead of everything behind closed doors. My guess would be because they are spinning plenty of yarn. And participants are left waiting.

NZ racing participants seem to still think they are going to improve things. Dreaming. This lot is clueless, but I bet you, they'll still happily take their salary.

I've not seen a more useless bunch of no-hopers in a very long time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, curious said:

Anyone work out why the Marton Metric Mile G3 would be scheduled in September @ New Plymouth over 1400m?

probb the same reason they'll re-schedule the Great Northern Hurdles for 2yos at Trentham ...they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed...

Have they announced any reductios in sigificant overheads, eg cutbacks on salaries/redundancies/marketing ??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, mardigras said:

I'm certainly un-phased about how many meetings there are (apart from NZ has too many anyway imo). If they have adopted a program because of an issue around travel, then they should have adopted a program that has no black type. It's not a difficult notion.

There are two main issues with running a program based on a supposed inability to travel (I doubt that will be the case anyway) and still having black type , those being they expose themselves to risks around the pattern committee downgrading races because they simply can't get the quality required - and more importantly, if indeed there is still travel issues, the races are not open to the runners that would otherwise be able to run, which makes a mockery of the black type system. It's sheer stupidity come up with by stupid people.

And what a laugh -

"Looking beyond the resume racing phase, the NZTR Board is now focussed on a piece of work where we will move to reshape the industry’s future, but this has only just begun."

Why has this only just begun? Have they been asleep for the last month? Pathetic, and if it started a month ago or more, why not share some of their thinking - instead of everything behind closed doors. My guess would be because they are spinning plenty of yarn. And participants are left waiting.

NZ racing participants seem to still think they are going to improve things. Dreaming. This lot is clueless, but I bet you, they'll still happily take their salary.

I've not seen a more useless bunch of no-hopers in a very long time.

An observation about races programmed for the South - Invercargill / Wingatui -  the fact that tbere are 3 incumbent flat riders in the area, means that riders ( if allowed to travel at all short term )  will be required, as they are in Aus, to isolate before and after their trip south.

How many would be bothered to spend a total of 28 days in isolation to ride on a winters day in Invercargill..?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Freda said:

An observation about races programmed for the South - Invercargill / Wingatui -  the fact that tbere are 3 incumbent flat riders in the area, means that riders ( if allowed to travel at all short term )  will be required, as they are in Aus, to isolate before and after their trip south.

How many would be bothered to spend a total of 28 days in isolation to ride on a winters day in Invercargill..?

I guess that is indicative of the way they think (or don't think). On one hand it is all about restricting travel, and on the other it requires travel in order to deliver the program.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...