The Race Place

Life ban

pete

Morgenrood had previously been issued a life ban for race fixing in South Africa where he was licensed from 1992-93 to 2015-16, before that was reduced to a five-year ban on appeal.

...begs the question doesn't it..HOW DID ANYONE WITH THIS WORK HISTORY  - A LIFE BAN FOR RACE FIXING, FOR GOD'S SAKE - GET A LICENCE TO RIDE IN THIS COUNTRY ?

Edited by Maximus
  • Like 1

Mr Morgenrood has an extensive history of non-compliance in South Africa between 1993 and 2015. This includes:

a. Accepting an inducement (race fixing) for which he was “warned off” (lifetime ban), subsequently reduced to 5 years on appeal.

b. Three drug positives (Cocaine x 2 and Methamphetamine x 1).

c. Four abusive or foul language charges (some towards officials).

d. One charge of bringing the racing industry into disrepute which was linked to one of the abusive language offences.

e. Four charges of failing to present medical record.

f. Numerous race day offences for excess use of the whip, failing to make weight or riding offences committed during the course of a race.

Edited by Maximus

5 hours ago, Maximus said:

Morgenrood had previously been issued a life ban for race fixing in South Africa where he was licensed from 1992-93 to 2015-16, before that was reduced to a five-year ban on appeal.

...begs the question doesn't it..HOW DID ANYONE WITH THIS WORK HISTORY  - A LIFE BAN FOR RACE FIXING, FOR GOD'S SAKE - GET A LICENCE TO RIDE IN THIS COUNTRY ?

This bit might be important in that regard though. though.

[9] It is not the Committee’s intention to detail the full specifics of the ‘Licence Application Report’, except to indicate that it was authoured by Racing Investigator, Mr Andy Cruickshank following his and Mr Oatham’s interview with Mr Morgenrood in April 2017. The Report, which was addressed to the ‘Racing Integrity Committee’ did capture the Respondent’s extensive offence history in South Africa, with the final sentence of the Report stating “It is unlikely that if Mr Morgenrood was granted a Class A Riders Licence that he would abuse the privilege”.

• Thanks 2

Clearly we have some very naive officials.

But, as someone who knew Brandon pretty well ( he rode for me )  you would not find a more personable and courteous man at face value.

He told me about his offending in S.A  - left nothing out - and his desire to put that behind him and create a better life for his partner and small son.

Stayed at mine for a while when first down here.

But, moving forward, it became clear more recently that the drugs had taken hold again ( not hard to get into that scene in ChCh and the habits of some of the younger ones horrify me ) and his irrational behaviour became noticeable again.

Real shame.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Freda said:

But, as someone who knew Brandon pretty well ( he rode for me )  you would not find a more personable and courteous man at face value.

He told me about his offending in S.A  - left nothing out - and his desire to put that behind him and create a better life for his partner and small son.

But, moving forward, it became clear more recently that the drugs had taken hold again ( not hard to get into that scene in ChCh and the habits of some of the younger ones horrify me ) and his irrational behaviour became noticeable again.

Real shame.

Thanks for that Pam. There's usually a story behind these things.

2 hours ago, Freda said:

Real shame.

No excuse, but always mitigating factors, thanks

The same happened to probably the most talented female jockey we have had, Lisa Cropp

• Like 1

They should enforce regulatory drug testing frequently among jockeys especially, riding under the influence is criminal 

Some of you may not know others may have forgotten Hugh Bowman got 9 months for testing positive to cocaine back in the early 2000s

great to see such compassion for a recidivist offender. Had been given multiple chances in S Af and got banned for life.
Yes, the man needed (and needs) ongoing help to manage a drug problem; that doesn't give him the right to hold a jockey's licence or place the lives of other people and horses at risk.

Is Tina Cominaghi the partner and mother to whom you refer, Freda? If I had to guess I'd say she isn't. 

Edited by Maximus

Maybe try reading the JCA decision.

10. Mr Morgenrood and Ms Comignaghi were in a relationship from September 2018 until 9 December 2019. Ms Comignaghi also holds a Class A Jockey licence.

20. Having been stood down by the Chief Steward in charge on that raceday and the concerns that RIU Investigators had with Mr Morgenrood’s behaviour he was taken for a workplace drug test and this screen proved to be negative to any class A, B or C drugs.

Thanks, C.

The former partner and son came out from Sth Aftica with him.

They are both still in Cambridge as far as I know. 

As for the drug test..?  Meth leaves the system pretty quickly.  A hair sample would tell a more accurate tale. 

The latest drug testing that took place at the track here produced a few cannabis positives and a 'preliminary' brace of meth positives which were subsequently found not to be....however that works. 

Both of those were known users,  but one girl whom I know very well,  is a regular cannabis user, and freely admitted to ' having a cone ' that morning.  Negative.  Go figure.