The Race Place

Todd Muller GONE

Hesi

Yes, good analogy.

Muller always came across as a man of integrity, a quality missing from the hierarchy at RITA.  They would just keep collecting their big over inflated salaries, believing they were doing a good job, while Racing languished further, to the point of being past hope

28 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Good on him for putting his own circumstances first. And for making the decision promptly. Maybe RITA could learn from that. Too many there just happy to take the money, and do SFA.

The same criticism must also be levelled at the big trainers, breeders, owners and syndicators, who it appears were 'too busy' making money to become actively involved in saying, enough is enough.  Quite the opposite, the Cambridge connection, used the opportunity to line their own pockets with this joke of a synthetic track, to prepare their horses for Aus racing

The only one I can recall who stood up and spoke his mind, was John Street on his Lincoln Farms website, through the journalistic fortitude of Barry Lichter

Human nature to feather one's own nest. They are the types of people you want to try and not have in your business. Self motivated as opposed to motivated for your business (or the business they are a part of). Many cannot see past their own interests.

Edited by mardigras

8 hours ago, ngakonui grass said:

To be an effective PM or leader of the opposition you must have the ability to stand up and lie and never back down.

Clark,Key and Ardern can all do it.Muller,Bridges,Little,Rowling,Mooreand Shipley they coundn't do it.

I think Collins would have it in spades, although they may go for a more diplomatic approach .Licking my lips at the possible outcome.

Cinderalla  vs. Wicked Witch of the North.

Bring it on.

51 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

I think Collins would have it in spades, although they may go for a more diplomatic approach .Licking my lips at the possible outcome.

Cinderalla  vs. Wicked Witch of the North.

Bring it on.

Yeah..I've always been in Collins' camp.    She's tough, clever, and experienced..and can give credit to the other side, when it is due.  But she seems not to have traction with her own party for some reason.

People should be praising Muller now rather than bitching like many have been in the news. It takes more to leave the role than it does to stay on being ineffective. As I said before - if people like McKenzie had as much sense regarding his ability in his own position, he would have done the same 2 months after he started - as would many others in RITA and past NZRB personnel. Sadly, most won't do what they should.

Edited by mardigras
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, mardigras said:

People should be praising Muller now rather than bitching like many have been in the news. It takes more to leave the role than it does to stay on being ineffective. As I said before - if people like McKenzie had as much sense regarding his ability in his own position, he would have done the same 2 months after he started - as would many others in RITA and past NZRB personnel. Sadly, most won't do what they should.

The thing is, that Muller is a very effective MP, with much business experience, just does not want to lay down with the dogs and get fleas.

A hard road being a leader, let alone just a polly.

You might recall many years ago, that most abrasive and opinionated of talkback hosts, Pam Corkery, she chucked it after 1 term.  I think she liked dishing it out on radio, with a finger on the red button, but couldn't handle it chucked back

27 minutes ago, Hesi said:

The thing is, that Muller is a very effective MP, with much business experience, just does not want to lay down with the dogs and get fleas.

A hard road being a leader, let alone just a polly.

You might recall many years ago, that most abrasive and opinionated of talkback hosts, Pam Corkery, she chucked it after 1 term.  I think she liked dishing it out on radio, with a finger on the red button, but couldn't handle it chucked back

I think it's called choice. The job for most politicians is pretty easy I would have thought. Most of them are close to completely unknown.

Who wants to piss around debating x and y for peanuts, with everything you say being questioned by every tom dick and harry. More fruitful spending your time doing stuff with less focus. I don't think he needs the money.

1 hour ago, barryb said:

Unless they go with Collins I will be voting for ACT.

I have cancelled my National Party membership a year ago and have signed up with ACT today. Collins is the Nats last go for many I would say. She wont win the election but she will at least give us something to hope for. Mark Mitchell is the one I fear they will vote for and he is not the man to lead into the future. Muller was a disaster so going now was the right call.

I'm with you on giving Nats a wideberth if Collins misses out. While I can commiserate with Mullers decision ,why on earth did he take part in rolling Bridges if he ( deep down) did not  have the balls for it.  I think he has done the Party a great disservice frankly, and his cohort miss Nicky should be hanging her head in shame. Bridges must have thick skin indeed.

46 minutes ago, mardigras said:

She hasn't had any pressure. Either way, I'm not really fussed. Politics in NZ is very middle of the road.

Not so sure about that

Bringing this back to racing, how many people have decried the 'stale old male ' aspect of NZ racing, and lauded the BGP fresh approach

Well, is that not what has happened with the Nats.  Gone back to the old stale brigade, Collins 61, Brownlee 64.

Do they not realise that 25% of the population are under voting age, 25% are over 55, so that leaves 50% between 18-55, who are more likely to identify with younger politicians

5 hours ago, Freda said:

Yeah..I've always been in Collins' camp.    She's tough, clever, and experienced..and can give credit to the other side, when it is due.  But she seems not to have traction with her own party for some reason.

can't agree with thee on this one, Freda. IMO Collins is tough, yes, and a street-fighter, which is all very good against St Cindy from a 'scrap' point of view. But Collins was seriously compromised on the China issue, and was a very poor Min of Justice. Wouldn't trust her as far as I could kick her, and if she is elected leader I wont be voting for the NATs. In my view the only politician making a lot of sense and showing maturity, eloquence and statesman-like qualities through the current madness is David Seymour. 

MM

Yep, dont disagree with that summation.

Collins is the right - only - choice, IMO, given the current situation.  But I've also been impressed with Seymour and his presentation for a good while, and recently contacted the party for their racing thoughts.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hesi said:

Not so sure about that

Bringing this back to racing, how many people have decried the 'stale old male ' aspect of NZ racing, and lauded the BGP fresh approach

Well, is that not what has happened with the Nats.  Gone back to the old stale brigade, Collins 61, Brownlee 64.

Do they not realise that 25% of the population are under voting age, 25% are over 55, so that leaves 50% between 18-55, who are more likely to identify with younger politicians

Well if you can describe where she has been put under pressure, I'm all eyes.

As for the age, age isn't really a factor in my view and never should be. It should be what you bring to the table. It's just another reason I detest the PC brigade around things like race/gender/age representation. They are stupid ideas. The representation should be challenged if the representation doesn't reflect the best available, irrespective of stupid metrics such as those. If people are missing out due to the methods used when being selected that have bias, then that is what they should be challenged on. Remove the bias and select the best people.

I'd rather every MP was a woman if the best candidates available were all women. Not be stuck with 50% of them being some useless male to appease some 'representation' statistic.

Even your own comment is a blight on young people if true. "'so that leaves 50% between 18-55, who are more likely to identify with younger politicians". You've just suggested that these people are therefore more likely stupid since (according to your statement), they are showing a bias - and you wonder why when they get older, they will end up employing people of their own age group due to the bias you are saying they hold. Because you've just stated they are more likely to identify with that. And so on will go the age bias that exists in employment. And the gender bias, and the race bias.

• Thanks 2

Sounds very much like ACT will be getting a few Raceplace votes. A party of one doesn't do it for me but in that vain I have had a guts full of Winnie (houdini),so Mr Seymore may be a good alternative. Good luck to Judith, I think she will cope admirably but it's to late for them to salvage anything this side of the election.