The Race Place

BIG changes for Auckland racing

pete

So from that report - there has not been any actual analysis of the supposed benefits of Strathayr - although they make the claim 'significantly increase the number of racedays'. Surely, any new track does that?

I go back to my previous question - Didn't Ellerslie previously have an inside track?

Just now, mardigras said:

So from that report - there has not been any actual analysis of the supposed benefits of Strathayr - although they make the claim 'significantly increase the number of racedays'. Surely, any new track does that?

I go back to my previous question - Didn't Ellerslie previously have an inside track?

Pretty sure they did.

14 minutes ago, mardigras said:

You can see it on the aerial shot, but looks only wide enough to be a training track

image_1emnkfelp101f1f539oj95o18kmc.thumb.png.4404dcf637098639db06d61ec368fb10.png

36 minutes ago, mardigras said:

I'm pretty sure they raced on it - I seem to recall being there for a meeting run on that inside track. It may have changed to be narrower now.

Prett sure as well. Think the rail you see is splitting the original inside track. You can see what I think is the original rail on the turn middle right of that pic.

8 minutes ago, curious said:

It looks like the two tracks might be continuous as well inside to outside or is there a swale or drainage in between?

Difficult to see much there. But I don't think they ran any more meetings during that time than prior. Any ideas why?

The issue I have is running more meetings requires more horses or horses to run more often per year. Unless the shift of meetings is due to taking meetings from elsewhere.  

1 minute ago, curious said:

Won't at least the Counties and Avondale meetings all be run there?

Yes, but are they referring to those related to the amalgamation - or additional to those as well. Since the report is based on the amalgamation, and therefore increasing racedays doesn't happen if they just run the amalgamated number.

image.png.2e797a1031fe5a447ec97adf4829b7dc.png

13 minutes ago, curious said:

OK, I read that as Ellerslie being able to handle the amalgamated number therefore an increase for the Ellerslie track. 40 meetings was mentioned from memory.

OK, I didn't read it that way.

If the new ATC can run 40 meetings and ARC ran 26 and CRC run 9 or 10, then that means around 36 meetings would have been expected just as part of the amalgamation.

If Avondale at some point shift their dates to that venue, that is say another 6 dates. So they need to be able to run 40+ meeting simply to meet the usual needs of those 3 clubs.

Are we to believe that when Deloittes went about conducting this investigation, they weren't bothered about whether the same number of meetings could be run following the amalgamation as before - and then made a point of claiming that the new ATC would be able to benefit from increased revenue opportunity by running significantly more racedays because of the Strathayr track. 

I smell a rat.

That's the kind of analysis I's expect from the TAB or NZTR.

Edited by mardigras

Agree. There doesn't seem to be any support for that claim, even in relation to the 40 odd amalgamated meetings which they certainly couldn't run  on the existing track. So, the whole thing falls down if the track can't cope with that many meetings. The possibility of reinstating the inside track may be a more viable solution. Obviously the main point of the arrangement though is to maintain a single track at Ellerslie for those meetings and use the other assets for training and to create a revenue stream to subsidise that racing.