The Race Place

Nz vs India Test Cricket Final

Hesi

Played at the Rose Bowl in Southampton starting tonight

Rain is forecast for all 5 days, but unusually they have a reserve day on Wed, so the draw option which has tightened, may not be such good value.  I checked with the TAB, and the draw option includes the reserve day, so I wonder how many punters seeing the rain forecast, have jumped on the draw option 2.70 into 1.95, not realising there is a reserve day

With the wicket expected to be lively, and the anticipated breaks in play due to rain, the ball may dominate bat, so the 5.40, for no one to score 100, maybe a good bet

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, von Smallhaussen said:

Whoever thought of having a Test series world champ final in England needs shooting! 

I mean how often do they see the sun 😝

yo' not thinkin' straight vS ...having Kohli & Co freezin' their buns off for most of 5 days in Pomeranian gloom is ideal for us

MM

38 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Monday was 30 degrees in England

England in June/July/Aug is a great place to be, especially if you follow cricket

Yep, went to the ODI World Cup in England 2019. Mostly great weather and brilliant games. 33C in London at Lords on one of the few days NZ lost - when playing Australia.

4 hours ago, Hesi said:

Rain is forecast for all 5 days, but unusually they have a reserve day on Wed, so the draw option which has tightened, may not be such good value.  I checked with the TAB, and the draw option includes the reserve day, so I wonder how many punters seeing the rain forecast, have jumped on the draw option 2.70 into 1.95, not realising there is a reserve day

With the wicket expected to be lively, and the anticipated breaks in play due to rain, the ball may dominate bat, so the 5.40, for no one to score 100, maybe a good bet

Could be right there Hesi! I think they will be lucky to get 3 full days in.Small boundaries at the Rosebowl, what are the odds that  someone would come out and knock up a quick century?

I've got a full book of rides in front of the box today!

Cricket, Football Euros ,Golf and Royal Ascot 🥳

Edited by Midnight Caller
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/18/2021 at 3:55 PM, Hesi said:

Looking good, a shame the TAB have withdrawn the bet

8 hours ago, Maximus said:

OK so at lunch and 7-down its a slow fold...good fightback by NZ, must get Jadeja early after lunch, lads

MM

Looking good, but critical that NZ put up a 150 plus 1st innings lead, so Williamson is key.  If that happens, then the match is ours to lose, as long as the weather Gods smile

• Like 1

Yes, well played 

But I disagree with Hadlee about it being the best NZ team

This team from the 80's that Hadlee was a part of, perhaps he is playing a bit of brinksmanship 

Martin Crowe legend

Jeff Crowe

Richard Hadlee legend

John F Reid

Lance Cairns legend

Jock Edward's

John Wright legend

Bruce Edgar

Geoff Howarth

Ewen Chatfield

Jeremy Coney

Ian Smith

Martin Snedden

Gary Troup

N

A great victory, but the 80's team is superior, in my opinion

No batsmen came close to scoring 100, Devon Conway, best at 54.......good bet, for the reasons given

31 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Yes, well played 

This team from the 80's that Hadlee was a part of, perhaps he is playing a bit of brinksmanship 

Martin Crowe legend

Jeff Crowe

Richard Hadlee legend

John F Reid

Lance Cairns legend

Jock Edward's

John Wright legend

Bruce Edgar

Geoff Howarth

Ewen Chatfield

Jeremy Coney

Ian Smith

Martin Snedden

Gary Troup

N

No batsmen came close to scoring 100, Devon Conway, best at 54.......good bet, for the reasons given

Whilst not a lot to be gained comparing generations, I would still disagree. Whilst many of them were very good players, they were really only considered 'legends' because they were the best we had for a long period. The current group have been playing consistent across all forms of cricket for some time. Ranked first in tests (before winning the championship), 1st in ODI, and 3rd in T20. 

I would have attended close to every test played at the basin during the 80s, and they simply didn't have the consistency  -outside of Hadlee who is a standout, and Crowe. And that was at home. And that is a ground where they should have had an advantage. Yes they broke some new ground with some of the results achieved, but I would take the current side if I had to choose one to send in.

Edited by mardigras

35 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Yes, well played 

Martin Crowe legend

Jeff Crowe

Richard Hadlee legend

John F Reid

Lance Cairns legend

Jock Edward's

John Wright legend

Bruce Edgar

Geoff Howarth

Ewen Chatfield

Jeremy Coney

Ian Smith

Martin Snedden

Gary Troup

N

I'm with Marty. I honestly think the current team would clean up the 80s team inside 3 days.

You also need a sense of perspective about runs scored. It was always going to be low scoring on that pitch.

Anyway  it's fun to compare but when all is said and done an absolutely staggering achievement.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pete said:

I'm with Marty. I honestly think the current team would clean up the 80s team inside 3 days.

You also need a sense of perspective about runs scored. It was always going to be low scoring on that pitch.

Anyway  it's fun to compare but when all is said and done an absolutely staggering achievement.

Yes, the main difference to me is the ability to bowl sides out. In the 80s, NZ needed Hadlee so much, now they have 3 that succeed at a rate well beyond the others from the 80s, and well beyond what most NZ teams have had - removing the dependency on one player. And that is without Jamieson.

Edited by mardigras

Wright and Edgar would grit out a 100 plus opening......remember those

Reid and Crowe would come in at 3 and 4 and hit big scores

Then the middle order of  Coney, Cairns and Smith would be good for another 150 runs

Then Hadlee the all rounder would hit a quick 50, to leave them at a out 600, numbers the current team can only dream off

Then Hadlee, Chatfield, Cairns and Snedden would have them all out for less than 400.......game over

4 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Wright and Edgar would grit out a 100 plus opening......remember those

Reid and Crowe would come in at 3 and 4 and hit big scores

Then the middle order of  Coney, Cairns and Smith would be good for another 150 runs

Then Hadlee the all rounder would hit a quick 50, to leave them at a out 600, numbers the current team can only dream off

Then Hadlee, Chatfield, Cairns and Snedden would have them all out for less than 400.......game over

Except it hardly every happened.

You love stats.

Try these. Look at the balls per wicket variances.

image.thumb.png.ca81d29e6923d6e1c48467c84736909b.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barryb said:

Here’s one for you Mardy & only because I am stirring🤣

The opposition today is vastly inferior to the 80’s

West Indies, Australia, South Africa today are all shadows of what they were like in the 80,s.

I don't mind some stirring.  Perhaps they look inferior because they don't dominate like they did. Of those, WI is inferior, as they had massive strength, especially in bowling. India and England would be superior to what they were in the 80s.

Here's some stirring - perhaps the pitches in the 80s were inferior, making half decent bowlers look good?

34 minutes ago, barryb said:

hahaha classic response, bloody good though.

It's kinda one of the reasons comparing generations is largely pointless. Different environments, different advances in other things around physical performance, money etc. Was John Walker better than runner x - even if x runs faster. He probably was.