The Race Place

Afghanistan Fiasco

ngakonui grass

America saved the world from fascism/communism/tyranny in WW2, no doubt. Remember they were LAST to get involved, as they were in WW1.
The net result of that very profitable war was huge prosperity for Americans through the 50s and 60s. But the expansion of the CIA into external affairs (supposedly a domestic intelligence gathering agency!) and all the Cold War skulduggery led to the USA poking its nose for the wrong reasons into all the wrong places -"the world's policeman etc" .. against the backdrop of nuclear annihilation for us all if things went pear-shaped with the Russians. Max was too young to understand the Cuban Missile Crisis, thank goodness.

Sad to say, Max is almost as wary of the Yanks these days as the Chinese.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ngakonui grass said:

Many vets are now coming out and saying that the ROE introduced by Obama  in 2008 made it an impossible war to win,a bit like Vietmam imo.

Its not their war; it's not their country. JFK eventually realised this about Vietnam in 1963. His Exec Order  263 began the process of quietly withdrawing from there. The first action LBJ took (less than 48hrs) after JFK was murdered was to reverse that policy.

https://fas.org/irp/offdocs/nsam-jfk/nsam-263.htm

23 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Its not their war; it's not their country. JFK eventually realised this about Vietnam in 1963. His Exec Order  263 began the process of quietly withdrawing from there. The first action LBJ took (less than 48hrs) after JFK was murdered was to reverse that policy.

https://fas.org/irp/offdocs/nsam-jfk/nsam-263.htm

LBJ's folly(a good name for a horse), he did a lot of good stuff though, to do with civil rights

• 4 weeks later...

I feel genuinely sad for the average Afghani who thought they had at least some semblance of peace and a normal life. Real tragedy. 

Now it is back to a stone age religion , coupled with Isis loose cannons blowing all and sundry up. Makes our Covid problem pall into insignificance in a way. 

Who will fill the vacuum , Putin must be rubbing his hands with glee.  

• Like 3

from what i have read NZ left behind approx 500 eligible people that could come to NZ.The NZ Govt are saying that the military will no longer be dealing with evacuations so no doubt it will be Govt to Govt negotiations.Wonder how thats gunna go and how many of the 500 will still be alive when negotiations are concluded.

Well I always thought Mickey Mouse would get to be President, but they managed to better that with Trump.

This demented old fool, reminds me of the poor old bugger you sometimes see ,stumbling behind his wife, mumbling under his breath (i,ll leave the toilet seat up if I want), waving his hand ,never won an argument in 60 yrs ,  used to be 6ft high and now 4ft 1. 

Dear me . 

• Like 1

The irony is Uncle Sam will go back and support the TB to stop China moving in, ironic but the likely outcome 

Russia has enough home issues to be involved and will look to Uncle Sam to fund

USA companies will be there within 12 months to get the country up and running, South Vietnam revisited 

It is just the way it is, thanks Phil Collins

• Like 2