The Race Place

Karrots Weekly Midweek Harness Round Up

karrotsishere

2 hours ago, Royal Nod said:

outcrosses to Direct Scooter line mares

Yeah they seem to be the "golden cross".  Way back in the 40,s the Golden Cross was Axworthy /Peter the Great, where we got the Great Cardigan Bay, and there is a lot of that influence (however small) in the Direct scooter line. Since the advent of AI in the 60,s the gene pool has shrunk quite considerably .

• Like 1

1. Looking forward to the racing programme for ALL Group, Feature & Country Cups to be published this week Sunday at latest.

2. Manawatu Season opener is here & a number or South Drivers up to take on the challenge due to Covid restrictions in parts of North. W House has his 1st race day start today. Good luck to him.

3. A number of Maori names (but we don’t think of it as such really when we speak about it, its normal for us 😄 Some we DO ALL know some Maori words without even (thinking about it). Found these are either tracks or clubs etc - Oamaru, Kaikora, Rotorua, Hawera, Te Rapa, Pukekoe, Otaki, Taranaki, Tueriankou, Timaru, Wario, Waikato, Manawatu, Rangiora, Waikouaiti, Waimate @Bloke 😄 @craigos1 😄

4. A look at Downbytheseaside this week. So lets take a look at a pic of the 1st born from Woodlands NZ born early August 2021. A filly by Downbytheseaside. What a cutie & big ears she has 🐴😄

* Noted that a bunch of Woodlands mares that one year served by Lou, were the next year served by Downbytheseaside. Will be interesting to see if there is any difference in the quality come race day.  Serving season for Downbytheseaside was: 2019 - 89  /// 2020 - 94  /// 2021 - 70  BUT after making a FULL recovery following colic surgery he is set to serve a nearly closed book in NZ this season. And his book is closed in Australia. So peeps have taken note of him & is he is getting Other breeders now too not mainly just Woodlands mares 😄

* The weanling filly that sold for $50k at weanling sales by Downbytheseaside last year to Stonewall who is a 1/2 to Sugar Me has been named Mermaid Beach & has trainers Telfers up, could be a sign she is in work & being aimed to race at 2.

5. Woodlands have an online testing mate found here, which of their sires best suit your mare: http://testmating.com/woo

6. Here is the correct link to Stable To Stir up. The HRNZ link is incorrect & isn’t working. Down to the Bone is there:  https://www.stabletostirrup.org

7. Smaltese has drawn the inside of his main rivals. So if he leads they won’t be bouncing off his back from trail.  Will he take G1 glory or will he run the race of his life & still    go down in NSW 2y-o boys Breeders Final at Menangle Sat?

8. NZ Cup so far so good re NO further cases reported in the South with 2 weeks to go. Maybe dodged a bullet for now.

9. Have noticed a difference between North and South standing starts. Where the drivers in North obey & respect the rules & each other & ALL horses STAND. This is NOT happening in the SOUTH. Why is it that the North are respecting & some drivers, not ALL in South seem to think they are above the RULES? At the Olympics if you false start - you are OUT of race. No question. GONE. What can be done to tighten up these rule breakers & have a FAIR start for ALL? And why is nothing happening?

222495191_4417267365002772_778144024754752798_n.jpg

14 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

* The weanling filly that sold for $50k at weanling sales by Downbytheseaside last year to Stonewall who is a 1/2 to Sugar Me has been named Mermaid Beach

A lot of DBTS foals seem to have been sold as weanlings.  Not sure if this will mean they will be in short supply at the yearling sales in Feb.  Some owners may pin hook them though.   I would be keen on one next year.

A friend of mine bought one as a weanling before people realized how good DBTS was.    Should turn out to  be a bargin

• Like 1

Round Up

• NZ Cup fields out today.
  • Less than a week til Cup Week - Deny Everything gunning for 6 in a row.
  • No Sundees Son nom-ed in Trot 1980m FFA Cup Day.
  • Noticeable difference to standing starts in South, with all runners being made to stand.
  • Many Aussie betting agencies didn’t have Kaikoura as a betting options, showing abandoned instead.
  • Is this week the start of a more even Cup Week next week, with the spoils being shared around?
  • Northern horses strike at Kaikoura meeting. Alta Wiseguy & Taipo both taking gold & South Coast Arden a silver.
  • Nice win for Dancing Show in TFS Transport Harness $100 comp. A new comp has been initiated, again courtesy of Mike.
  • Will Republican Party (210k yearling sale purchase) for Race Place member & owner Royal Nod in Sires Final potentially stop an All Stars march on another Final? Since 2014 - present AS have either won, quinella or trifecta the race. Draw will be crucial out today good luck. (Believe a Race Place member Double R, as an owner has placed in this event within these past 7 years).

Sire Profile - Breeding

Vincent so far has 3 live foals recorded born season 2021. Since he started in 2019 he has been consistent with serving over a hundred mares, which is more than Sweet Lou & Always B Miki in their 1st 2 seasons. Serving (2019-148), (2020-110), (2021-106). In total he’s served 364 mares over 3 seasons. In his first crop of yearlings at 2021 Australasian Yearling Sales with a Spreydon Lodge bred son selling for $215,000 – an Australasian record for a 1st season sire. Fun fact - his first two dams are both Group 1 winners.

Q & A with Enteebee

1. What is your most memorable experience?

* Breeding my first winner when Sol Invictus won his first race.

2. What got you into horses?

* My best friend was Ricky May's cousin so I was adopted by the May family and started going to race meetings in their horse truck.

3. How did the syndicate come about and how long has it been going?

* Had been in other syndicates and Michael House suggested that I could form a syndicate with a couple of horses he had in May 2008 - 'hand me downs' that werent any good and our first winner Rugged Cross we got as a weanling.

4. What is a drama you can recall that ended with a happy story?

* We travelled all the way to Forbury to watch Majestic Man's first start and he made a mess of the start and galloped early.  He made up an incredible amount of ground and got up to win - I walked down the steps from the stand beside the stipes repeating 149... 149 (you are only allowed to gallop for 150m) but due to poor camera angles they couldn't tell and we kept the race.

5. Do you have a fav horse, if so why?

* Has to be Majestic Man - he is just so honest - if only he had taken the passing lane in the Interdominion Grand Final.

6. Is it or was it hard to attract members to syndicate if yes why if no why?

* Yes is has been hard to fill syndicates at times but when times were tough in Griffins and we had a vote and added 10 shares rather than sell horses then our luck changed.

7. What are the benefits of having a syndicate?

* So much fun for such a little outlay - no management fees in our syndicates - we do it for love.

8. Why were there more Griffins syndicates created?

* We had access to other Grice horses like Father Christmas and Cuddly Jess and Griffins couldnt afford more horses - Seafield syndicate has recently been wound up when Father Christmas lease was cancelled.

9. What is the future plan for Griffins?

* Two of our winners have now left winners so where we can we will race foals from our mares - Shutterup - Megapixel and Rugged Cross - Rugged Peak.

10. What is the most thing you love best about Harness racing?

* Sharing the joy of winning with members who would never have dreamed of owning a Group 1 winner (although we had to race in Australia during Covid to do that and we couldnt be there)

11. How do you celebrate these days success re horse win?

* We have had syndicate dinners before but not recently due to group size restrictions and members live all over NZ and some in Australia.

12. Who was your 1st winner and how did you feel? Do you still have a vivid recollection of it? Guess it was the syndicates 1st winner? If not re syndicates 1st winner who was the syndicates 1st winner?

* My first winner was Castleton's Mission who won 15 races and was also 2nd in an Interdominion Trotting Grand Final.  His first win was the 2yo Sires Stakes and the weekend before the race Michael House had to trek to Oamaru to qualify him or he wouldnt have got a start (was a 2 horse trial against the famous Pernod's Jolter.)  We had two in the Sires Stakes race and I bet on our other horse Evening Dash (Kevin Townley). Griffins Syndicate's first winner was Rugged Cross at Invercargill on April 3 2011.

13. What are some tips advice for anyone looking to get into a horse syndicate? Dos & donts?

* Ask around for people who will know members of the syndicates to check on how they are run.  Be sure to see the accounts regularly and be very aware of the management fees.  There have been some shockers over recent years and even our syndicate has had a few wee issues but every decision is by majority vote.

14. How many times have you watched a horse of yours win the most?

* In 2004 I took the family on holiday to Europe and England - I watched a race between Lyell Creek and Castletons Mission for the first time in an internet phone box in a place called Warrington and have watched it probably more than 50 times since then.  It was reminiescent of the famous Our Waverly Star / Bonecrusher clash. I even went to visit a place called Castleton after that as had a smile on my face for days.

**100 wins of a group of syndicates that’s led by Griffins Syndicate

Majestic Man  18

Father Christmas 17

Monty Python 15

Dark Horse 14

Sol Invictus 7

Sarah Palin 6

Cuddly Jess 5

Daiquiri         4

Rugged Cross 3

Bet Pray Love 2

Lord Roydon 2

Westerly Wind 2

Arc de Triomphe1

Mega Pixels  1

Our Pinocchio 1

Rugged Peak 1

Shutterup 1

(Majestic Man - 1st win video attached - worth a watch, very entertaining)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssWpxoF3TpY

(Castleton’s Mission win against Lyell Creek attached)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVfrV1_tqG4

(Picture attached is Castleton’s Mission & Enteebee in winners circle following 2yo Sires Stakes win 😄)

CMPRESNT.thumb.JPG.37b892313bc2a944b4e41ad474ea2a07.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

(Picture attached is Castleton’s Mission & Enteebee in winners circle following 2yo Sires Stakes win 😄)

CMPRESNT.thumb.JPG.37b892313bc2a944b4e41ad474ea2a07.JPG

The gentleman on the left is Ron Burrell who bred Mission - when Regency Standardbreds purchased him and Ron found out he was being raced by a syndicate he joined the syndicate - he also gave a money back guarantee that if Mission didnt win a race the Syndicate Manager could go and pick any horse out of his paddock - Ron's comment after a first start win was "a hell of a way to get out of a bet"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Will Republican Party (210k yearling sale purchase) for Race Place member & owner Royal Nod in Sires Final potentially stop an All Stars march on another Final? Since 2014 - present AS have either won, quinella or trifecta the race. Draw will be crucial out today good luck. (Believe a Race Place member Double R, as an owner has placed in this event within these past 7 years)

Yes, you are correct Karrots, in 2016.

Jack's Legend finished third to Ultimate Machete, and More Than Better. He returned the following year to run second to Lazarus, after coming from back in the field, and being three wide for the last round, and running a faster last mile than Lazarus, who was in front, and covered 40 total metres more than Lazarus, so it was a huge effort.

• Like 2

Double R, think you maybe a good participate for Karrots Q & A. Wow Jacks Legend big effort by him covering 40 metres more than Laz.

Thank you Enteebee for taking the take & sharing. What a treat. I loved reading his answers, hope other readers do too. Also saw the picture evidence of Enteebee at Castleton. 

Would like to include a few more weeks of Q & A. Some peeps who think would be good to interview are Lightning, Addington & NZ journo Guerin & Aus journo Peter Profit.

How it works I send thru approx 15-20 questions & you answer only those you feel comfortable with. Its up to you if your discretion if you include pix or not. All material is deleted from my email etc once posted & if there is anything you are not happy with, I can edit/delete. 

Edited by karrotsishere

16 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Double R, think you maybe a good participate for Karrots Q & A. Wow Jacks Legend big effort by him covering 40 metres more than Laz.

Thank you Enteebee for taking the take & sharing. What a treat. I loved reading his answers, hope other readers do too. Also saw the picture evidence of Enteebee at Castleton. 

Would like to include a few more weeks of Q & A. Some peeps who think would be good to interview are Lightning, Addington & NZ journo Guerin & Aus journo Peter Profit.

How it works I send thru approx 15-20 questions & you answer only those you feel comfortable with. Its up to you if your discretion if you include pix or not. All material is deleted from my email etc once posted & if there is anything you are not happy with, I can edit/delete. 

More than happy to be part of your Q+A if you wish.

• Like 1

Wasn't sure where to put this, but since had spoken about barrier draws in this midweeks update re Sires. Will put here.

Sires Stakes, don’t understand why Willow Bay isn’t E2 & Hiranya E1? Both ran 6th in their heats BUT Hiranya is R48, Willow Bay E47.

Hiranya form line reads last 4 starts 4163.

Willow Bay last 4 starts reads 4067.

If Willow Bay gets a run due to 1 scratching, then that would give All Stars 4 off the front row. Why? Why not let Hiranya who as above reads better, is higher rated with a better form line & not give so many runners to 1 stable?

Next thought & NOT suggesting they will. But with 1 extra running on front line it would open up more possibility to stable drive against Republican Party.

Edited by karrotsishere

31 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but since had spoken about barrier draws in this midweeks update re Sires. Will put here.

Sires Stakes, don’t understand why Willow Bay isn’t E2 & Hiranya E1? Both ran 6th in their heats BUT Hiranya is R48, Willow Bay E47.

Hiranya form line reads last 4 starts 4163.

Willow Bay last 4 starts reads 4067.

If Willow Bay gets a run due to 1 scratching, then that would give All Stars 4 off the front row. Why? Why not let Hiranya who as above reads better, is higher rated with a better form line & not give so many runners to 1 stable?

Next thought & NOT suggesting they will. But with 1 extra running on front line it would open up more possibility to stable drive against Republican Party.

Yep, agree with you Karrots. It is hard to fathom.

I think it would be of great advantage for Republican Party if there was a scratching, and Willow Bay got back in. It is going to be much easier to get into a safe position to give him the best chance of winning from barrier two, and than having to go like the clappers from barrier one, use up heaps of energy, and may still get crossed, and end up in an awkward place back on the rails. If he does get crossed, then I think there is a possibility, with the normal pattern of racing, of him being at least three back on the rails. As the old saying goes "you pay your money, you take your chances"

Cheers.

Robert.

3 hours ago, Double R said:

I think it would be of great advantage for Republican Party if there was a scratching, and Willow Bay got back in.

Good point DR.   Only thing I would say is that I am glad  Blair  is driving him because he rarely gets involved in speed duals and always seems to sum things up quickly.  That is why he  is on top of the premiership.   It does seem that Franco Indie from the draw will be very hard to beat though..

11 minutes ago, Royal Nod said:

Good point DR.   Only thing I would say is that I am glad  Blair  is driving him because he rarely gets involved in speed duals and always seems to sum things up quickly.  That is why he  is on top of the premiership.   It does seem that Franco Indie from the draw will be very hard to beat though..

I think what we do sometimes Nod is, to rate our own horses conservatively, as we know, they don't payout what they should do from past performances, they have to actually go out and do it on the day. One thing we do know, is, that your horse will be competitive.

Edited by Double R
Spelling error
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2021 at 10:33 AM, karrotsishere said:

Majestic Man barrier 6. Bolt for Brilliance 3. In the other big banger on day.

G'Day Karrots, robert, NZ.

Sorry if I have missed something. (pretty big week Aus gallops this week)  BUT Why are Sundees Son and Muscle Mountain NOT in the NZ trotting FFA at 100k ????

Might be answered there already but i missed it. $100,000 races don't go everyday , and the 2 best trotters in the Nation missing ??? what is going on ?

32 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

G'Day Karrots, robert, NZ.

Sorry if I have missed something. (pretty big week Aus gallops this week)  BUT Why are Sundees Son and Muscle Mountain NOT in the NZ trotting FFA at 100k ????

Might be answered there already but i missed it. $100,000 races don't go everyday , and the 2 best trotters in the Nation missing ??? what is going on ?

Hi LB,

It is in my opinion incorrect programming.

Older/more senior members will remember some 40 years ago when the Dominion was run on show day, they had a 2000 metre standing start race, called the Worthy Queen run on cup day. It gave a good lead up hitout, but not a cut buster, for the Dominion, and then was a 2600 metre free for all mobile on the last night. In those days there the two day meetings during cup week, and two night meeting the following week. There was a 8 day break between the Dominion, and the mobile free for all.

• Like 2

Yeah the start to the Sires Stakes is def going to be an interesting one.  One would think Orange would try to keep Franco Indie behind him, wherever that be. However sometimes when drivers just focus on the main rival what can end up happening is a horse at long odds gets up. As they are too busy driving against each other. 

Be a great watch and an interesting watch, now Republican Party has stepped up to make things more competitive in that age group ranks 👍

11 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Yeah the start to the Sires Stakes is def going to be an interesting one.  One would think Orange would try to keep Franco Indie behind him, wherever that be. However sometimes when drivers just focus on the main rival what can end up happening is a horse at long odds gets up. As they are too busy driving against each other. 

Be a great watch and an interesting watch, now Republican Party has stepped up to make things more competitive in that age group ranks 👍

You're onto it Karrots.

Just drive your own race.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 9:27 AM, karrotsishere said:

Majestic Man - 1st win video attached - worth a watch, very entertaining)

So is Dark Horses first start, absolutely phenomenal and I thought I was watching a Sir Castleton finish.   80 mtrs behind at one stage and mowed them down in the straight. Interesting to see another of our horses Cuddly Jess in that race , above.

Can you find Dark Horses first race Karrots, well worth a watch. 

• Like 1