The Race Place

Karrots Weekly Midweek Harness Round Up

karrotsishere

Had an idea when time permits to post a weekly midweek round up on harness things that caught my eye. (So will do so on this thread). Since midweek is usually a quiet time. Will head back Thursday to post & add to other threads 😄👍

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=ME021021

1. Karrots has found herself a new Sweet Lou to follow after this spectacular trail win. Will he be the Lou pin-up boy that is needed in Australasia? After pin up girl Sweet on Me retired at 2y-o. Smaltese a 2yo boy nearly broke 1.50 in a trial at Menangle running a blazing MR1.50.2! That is FFA styles. Link attached for those wanting to checkout. Since this trial he has won a NSW Breeders Heat 2y-o boys

2. Sweet Lou in USA yearlings sales was the 2nd top average sire at over $90k. High of $400k for a filly. Will that do anything for his NZ stock at the Feb 2022 sales NZ ... ?

3. Top Northern Jnr Driver A Harrison is set to make her training debut Thurs at Cambridge with Shirley Bassey, in whom she purchased the 3 y-o filly at the yearling sales. Shirley Bassey ran a nice workout on Sat at Cambridge winning by a lengthy margin of 15 lengths. The filly has drawn 1 for her debut. Poster Karrots has already told Poster Harrison previously will be watching & keeping eye on. Spoted ya. So good luck Thursday! Will be rooting ya on.

4. Triple Eights connects have advised that they most likely will not be sending him to the NZ Cup, however he is still to be officially withdrawn.

5. The horse pictured in the red & white colours, clearly starting ahead of the front unruly horses BUT was meant to start off the 10 metre mark. This was a Group 3 feature race on Sunday, The Methven Cup & a Road to the Cup race where horses are still vying for spots. The horse Vintage Cheddar finishes 3rd. Nothing mentioned in stripes report about the fact the horse did NOT start 10 metres back. But more or less from the 2nd row of the front line. No 10 metre tape was put up either. No warning nor fine either for the driver B Williamson or the starter.

6. Following reading an article on HRNZ on a horse called Tornado Banner took a peak at her breeding & she is from the family tree of the GREAT - Twice As Good. No wonder she put up a good 1st up performance and a soon win looks imminent. What I also noted on Gavel House currently up for sale is an unreserved broodmare in Heart Stealer Lot 9 & her daughter Lot 2 Major Majority also unreserved. Also from the same family tree of the GREAT Twice As Good BUT different branch. Currently no bids, with sale closing tomorrow. Major Majority sales write up states that her broodmare none other than Lot 9 Heart Stealer was purchased or 100k. And unfortunately MM had to be re-listed this week, due to buyer S Ramsay pulling out at a price of $800 in last Gavel sale. What I find fascinating is how the lack of interest in both. Big depreciation of value too from a $100k purchase. Thats racing tho I suppose.

A reminder that this Friday our selections comp starts here is a link to our generous sponsor of the comp. Big Ups to them. Selections will start being posted Thurs once fixed odds are out. Ill be putting my up then.

https://www.tfshorsetransport.co.nz

772418159_ScreenShot2021-10-12at5_41_19PM.thumb.png.4e27dd0b160eccebdb8c6a485a8f2a74.png

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

The horse pictured in the red & white colours, clearly starting ahead of the front unruly horses BUT was meant to start off the 10 metre mark. This was a Group 3 feature race on Sunday, The Methven Cup & a Road to the Cup race where horses are still vying for spots. The horse Vintage Cheddar finishes 3rd. Nothing mentioned in stripes report about the fact the horse did NOT start 10 metres back. But more or less from the 2nd row of the front line. No 10 metre tape was put up either. No warning nor fine either for the driver B Williamson or the starter.

A very unusual situation. The start was delayed a few minutes , as they had set-up the starting point at the incorrect point for the start of the race. ( so horses run the advertised distance) 

Starter and assistants quickly rushed up the track to the correct distance point , and the commentator Definitely noticed there was no 10m strand put across. He even said one of the assistants appeared to be looking for it in the wagon , but to no avail. (possibly left it at the wrong start point) 

So away they went without it , Commentator declaring the advantage to VINTAGE CHEDDAR all the while.

Wonder why driver didn't 'fess-up' to starter and yell to him as were lining up ?, about where was his barrier strand?   

Starter and crew would of been under the pump from the prior start point error .

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

5. The horse pictured in the red & white colours, clearly starting ahead of the front unruly horses BUT was meant to start off the 10 metre mark. This was a Group 3 feature race on Sunday, The Methven Cup & a Road to the Cup race where horses are still vying for spots. The horse Vintage Cheddar finishes 3rd. Nothing mentioned in stripes report about the fact the horse did NOT start 10 metres back. But more or less from the 2nd row of the front line. No 10 metre tape was put up either. No warning nor fine either for the driver B Williamson or the starter.

Different starter, same stipes, same old shit. Can you see the common denominator here?

I thought the stipes put out some directive they were going to clean up the starts? Seems to be as enforced as much as the new code of conduct.

13 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Starter and assistants quickly rushed up the track to the correct distance point , and the commentator Definitely noticed there was no 10m strand put across. He even said one of the assistants appeared to be looking for it in the wagon , but to no avail. (possibly left it at the wrong start point) 

A previous race didn't have a tape either. I think they left it next to the INCA investigation, consequently, no one could find it.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Those Sweet Lou's are humming alright and I like the look of the Always B Miki's as well. Injecting some real speed into the Harness stocks here.

Yes they are re Lous. He still needs a star. Altho his biggest crop will be hitting the track next year as 2y-os. Starting to wonder if his horses are more shorter distance race horses e.g. mile or 1980 horse. They have that top high speed but don't seem to be as good over distance. He has multiple stars in USA & high stats & yearling sale prices. Yet in NZ just 1 star so far in Sweet on Me ... ? Is it because it is too early yet, his eldest are still only 4y-o. 

1 thing have noticed is that there have been multiple Cambridge horses that have gone over & held their own over the mile at Menangle. These include Bankers Gold 2nd Group 3 Mengangle, Viva Las Vegas 2nd Group 3 Menangle, Shanlou, super record at Menangle so far & was unfortunate to be delegated from a win to 2nd for interference in straight. Then there was Southern horse Renegade Rose & Mighty Looee. Also take Im a Giogolo, won 1st 3 starts to be 3 from 3 at Addington over 1980, but then went up to Alex over 2200 & failed. (Of course he was up in grade by this time). But a common denominator I notice re distance.

As mentioned in 1st post 2y-o Smaltese won his trial in 1.50.2 over mile which apparently had it been an official race would of been an Australian record for 2y-os. They have that high speed but don't seem to have the stamina over longer distance. Take a look also at Sugar Me, great over the 1980 metres. (Didn't deliver recently in Derby heat & followup. Of course was always against him when he got bad 2nd row draws x2).  

Will see if there are any Always B Mikis to mention for next weeks addition of Karrots Midweek RoundUp 😄

• Like 2

Finished this already so might as well drop it now. As mentioned last week will take a look at Miki.

1. G Rogerson points out a yearling called Luka Doncic is 1 to watch out for. Luka Doncic an Always B Miki has caught his eye & will be aimed at next years Jewels as a 2 y-o. (If Jewels is still on).

Mikis NZ stats e.g. 5 winners from 11 starters, eldest racing age 2 y-o in NZ. And those winners like Sweet Lou, are clearing maiden quickly. Your So Fine has grabbed Group 2 glory, Your So Fine has been exported to Oz. Montana Glory filly placed 2nd in G1 Jewels has been exported to Aus but it yet to be sighted there. Leaving Franco Indie to bear the Miki flag in NZ to potentially grab the 1st G1 in NZ for the up & coming sire.

In terms of breeding numbers Miki served his biggest book 2021 with 201. Compared with only 98 in 2018. Based on numbers when his class of 2021 hit the ground, might be a case of WATCH OUT.

2. All Stars here’s a link to their new look new domain website.

http://www.allstarsracing.co.nz

3. A link to latest All mic-ed up episode 4. D Ferg & the horse they call Princess, Cambridge Horse of the Year - She Reigns.

https://www.facebook.com/trackchatnz/videos/250038193724453/

4. As per last weeks edition A Harrison made her training debut, but it was her driving that nite that stood out - taking out TAB drivers challenge. Re Jnrs - GIRLS have jumped ahead of Boys. Albeit this transit season doesn’t count & Morrison is now an Open driver. BUT IF continuing the count on from last season including this transit season til 31 Dec. A Harrison has bypassed L Whittaker in Northern Jnr Ranks wins And S O’Reily too winning more than Morrison. Unfortunately for S O’Reily the Inter-island Australasian Champs have been cancelled. How adorable & bubbling smiley is Northern Jnr C Hackett & has started her career in fine form.

5. As per NZ standardbred website their yearling sales calendar is set to be released next month. Breckon Farms already released their  draft heres link to it.

https://www.breckonfarms.co.nz/yearling-draft-2022

6. Drivers it was noted that Dunn is driving well. Winning 4 at Addington Fri then driving more winners at Oamaru.

7. Overseas Winners Spellbound wins G3 & is off to chase elusive G1 glory.

8. Aussie Exports - Jewels winners A Bettor You & Bettor Twist both been exported to Oz. Look out for them up & coming Oz. Another with Oz bound plans is Stylish Memphis after being withdrawn from NZ Cup.

9. Withdrawals from Cup now include U May Cullect, who is retired. BUT the Road to Cup continues with this week the Holmes DG draws 9 noms including Copy That, Bad to B, Belle of M. While in South, The Flying Stakes at Ashburton Sun, includes a nom from KRUG, Pembroke Playboy, Taipo, Self Assured, SCA, Laver.

10. Mentioned from last week was Gavelhouse sale Lot 2 Major Majority ended up selling for $600 & dam Lot 9 Heart Stealer Passed in. Mentioned it as come from GREAT family in Twice As Good, but seemingly a branch that no-one’s interested. Of note another that comes from the great Twice as Good family tree too, but different branch is Allamericanlover who cleaned up her rivals at Addington.

11. Darling Me - Taking a look at her past 3 starts. Fresh Up had a sit & ran past Miracle Mile starter Stylish M to win. Next 2 starts mid race moved to parked & faded to 3rd or 4th. Know how I’d be driving her next IF I was driver. She’s nom-ed for Ashburton. So lets see the tactics adopted. Her 1/2 sis by Captain T - Remember Me is nom-ed Thurs Addington be an interesting watch if she is as good as her siblings in Sweet on Me & Darling Me.

12. Poster Mikes generosity continues with BIG 2v2 coming up as part of $100 selections comp. Friendly sledging has started. Karmax Vs Mikble R. Stay tuned on Harness competitions thread to catch the action. (TFS Transport kindly sponsoring our 1st comp). What a flyer Richie has made. How good is TFS Transport teaming up with Cambridge to provide FREE return Transport for South horses to race at Cambridge! Great move Cambridge, bright young team they have there.

13. As mentioned last week Sweet Lou Smaltese set up a scorching Australasian 2y-o record mile of 1.50.4, only to be run down by My Ultimate Ronnie, who had came off his back to nab him. Both qualify for Breeders Final.

See ya back Thurs for Round 2 of Comp 😃

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Like 4

The Prime Minister's announcement today is the end of the hopes for a full crowd on Cup Day and drivers / trainers from the Auckland area getting to Chch. No one is leaving Auckland anytime soon.

It is a shame the Prime Minister doesn't forget the South Island totally as then we could do what we want. Maybe if we started calling ourselves to Te Wai Pounamu we would get more attention.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

The Prime Minister's announcement today is the end of the hopes for a full crowd on Cup Day and drivers / trainers from the Auckland area getting to Chch. No one is leaving Auckland anytime soon.

It is a shame the Prime Minister doesn't forget the South Island totally as then we could do what we want. Maybe if we started calling ourselves to Te Wai Pounamu we would get more attention.

Totally ridiculous. The whole thing has ground to a halt in a complete state of inertia.

You'd have to conclude they now have no idea what they're doing.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, pete said:

You'd have to conclude they now have no idea what they're doing.

The roadmap is coming.....this week. 

What happens when they don't reach the vaccination targets? 

The Auckland Cup meeting on New Year's Eve must be in severe doubt even at this early stage. Maybe more chance some will head to NSW for the Interdoms. $9FF for Self Assured...mmmm

5 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

It's official! 

New Zealand has changed its name.

But not to what a lot of people were expecting it to be changed to.

(No, the Government haven't quite Maorized 100% of everything). 

New Zealand is now...

Jacindastan. 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Sweet Lou Smaltese set up a scorching Australasian 2y-o record mile of 1.50.4, only to be run down by My Ultimate Ronnie,

Honestly ! 2 year olds going this fast is just craziness. How good is this trainer ??  JARROD ALCHIN . He had 3 horses in those semi-finals and won with ALL three !!! The colts semi's with 'My Ultimate Ronnie' 1.50.4 (as you said Karrots) , and 'My Ultimate Byron' 1.50.9  for the same owners in the other semi. goodness me.  half their luck.

And also for Jarrod Alchin, MADRID made it 4 wins striaght , home in 1.52.3 in one of the fillies semi's . Amazing. surely he'll be winning Both Breeder's finals then ???

To put this in Perspective, the quinella in the FFA,  made up of 2 Miracle Mile placegetters EXPENSIVE EGO and ALTA ORLANDO , they only went 1.52.5 .

Those 2 year olds must be quite extroadinary. ???

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Just saw this on mainstream news, so thought would quickly pop n post links. So yip Happy - how right you are. Shame BUT at least at this stage it will STILL go AHEAD.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2021/10/horse-racing-christchurch-s-addington-cup-week-behind-closed-doors-for-first-time-in-117-years.html

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/126719316/addington-cup-week-to-be-held-behind-closed-doors-for-the-first-time

• Like 1

Bit of a shame.  They keep saying there is no Covid in the SI, which could change if they had an influx of people from the NI.

Cup Week came too soon, before they could get vaccination passports organised, which  looks like will be announced on Friday

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 8:09 AM, karrotsishere said:

Will see if there are any Always B Mikis to mention for next weeks

I see he is now  4th Leading 2 year old sire in the USA after a slow start and only just behind Sweet Lou.  Captaint is doing a great job there but I think he may be like SBSW and not have the success in NZ that he gets in USA.    I wonder if stallions that shuttle here have an advantage over the frozen semen ones.?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Royal Nod said:

I see he is now  4th Leading 2 year old sire in the USA after a slow start and only just behind Sweet Lou.  Captaint is doing a great job there but I think he may be like SBSW and not have the success in NZ that he gets in USA.    I wonder if stallions that shuttle here have an advantage over the frozen semen ones.?

Hello & welcome, another Newbie like me here 🤗

No idea there Royal Nod re frozen semen vs stallions that shuttle here. Someone on here might?

Am starting to wonder if different styles of racing & different distances suit different sires offspring better or worse?

Take Lous NZ so far, the top ones e.g. Spirit of St Lou, Fabrizio, Aladdin, Sweet On Me, Sugar Me.

Lets look at Sweet On Me. ALL her wins were short distance & the 1 race she was beaten in was 2200m by Amazing Dream. (Note The Dream had the run of race & she had to midrace move & sit parked to factor in).

BUT none of the above have performed YET TOP level over distance e.g over 2200m & have flopped at distance over 2200m.

Plus am noticing at Menangle his NZ breed exported are performing well over hard fast mile. Think USA racing is also miles or similar those top races were he has STARS.

Then take a look at Lancewood Louie & ALL his short distance races 1980m he has won or placed. Then any at 2600m ALL he has been ‘Also ran’. Same thing with Sugar Me. And Fabrizio performed better at 1980 than 2200m.  

Heard peeps say trainers opinions varies e.g. his stock “like pace on” - another said they are “late bloomers”, another said they are “great to break in”, another "not so great to break in”. So everyone has their own perception, experience.

For me the distance thing is the thing that am noticing re Lou USA compared to NZ compared to Oz. Plus they are friendly & nice natured. 

Could SBSW had something different re racing in USA that differs to racing in NZ that resulted in his performance levels lower than expected here … ? Could Captain T potentially be the same ... ?

Edited by karrotsishere

2 hours ago, Royal Nod said:

Wait Iv just clicked to who you are, Poster version that is. If correct … your horse is doing AMAZING this time in.

So cool & super exciting!!! Very happy for you 😄

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, karrotsishere said:

Heard peeps say trainers opinions varies e.g. his stock “like pace on” - another said they are “late bloomers”, another said they are “great to break in”, another "not so great to break in”. So everyone has their own perception, experience.

Depends on the dams influence. Some sires throw to all sorts , some don't. I like the Sweet Lou's speed and ABM looks in the same mould . Bettors Delight will be around for a while yet and they are adept at all distances.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Wait Iv just clicked to who you are, Poster version that is. If correct … your horse is doing AMAZING this time in.

So cool & super exciting!!! Very happy for you 😄

Right you are Karrots.  I only have a small share as he wasn’t cheap.  Still he is very exciting.   

• Thanks 1

I’ll be sticking to Bettors at the sales next year.  He just increases your chances of getting something worthwhile.  Having said that I could be tempted by a nice Downbytheseaside if my trainer buys one.  Doing a sensational job in USA and I like the fact he shuttles here

Edited by Royal Nod
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Could SBSW had something different re racing in USA that differs to racing in NZ that resulted in his performance levels lower than expected here … ? Could Captain T potentially be the same ... ?

SBSW had much lower fertility here. I think some stallions semen travels and freezes better than others

8 hours ago, Royal Nod said:

Right you are Karrots.  I only have a small share as he wasn’t cheap.  Still he is very exciting.   

Hehe, I only figured it out as have that Karrots memory 😇 Not sure anyone else had figured it out. Funnily enough was actually going to mention him on this weeks midweek edition, but left it. It was going to be the difference how horses last season had beat him & this season he has grown/matured & come back beating them. Id been keeping an eye on him anyway because of you 👀 

8 hours ago, Royal Nod said:

Having said that I could be tempted by a nice Downbytheseaside if my trainer buys one.  Doing a sensational job in USA and I like the fact he shuttles here

Next weeks edition Ill see if I can find some stuff to add on him - Downbytheseaside 👍😀

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Depends on the dams influence. Some sires throw to all sorts , some don't. I like the Sweet Lou's speed and ABM looks in the same mould . Bettors Delight will be around for a while yet and they are adept at all distances.

Good point Globe, without a doubt dams side come into it. Agree re l like Lous speed & same again thinking ABM seems similar. So just got to get that 1 that has that speed & the dams influence to bring the stamina & staying ability thru 👍

And yip again was thinking that re Bettors seem to have ALL distances, tempos under control Down Under. 

12 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Very true Globe. A lot of Christian Cullen mares were bred to SBSW here which I don’t think was a good cross.  All his top ones in the USA  were outcrosses to Direct Scooter line mares

• Like 1