The Race Place

Harness Racing

Happy Sunrise

22 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Not sure whether to laugh or cry at the state of harness racing after that last race at Mot

Race 7 the Junior drivers at Mot , is showing as 'abandoned' on the TAB site here, so won't see any replay at all.

I guess something happened in that race that you are talking about Happy?? what happened?

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Not sure whether to laugh or cry at the state of harness racing after that last race at Mot.

Needs to sort it shit out.

Oh dear this doesn't sound good. Have not watched any racing this weekend. So not sure what happened either as Lightning said. However I have done some research on some stats, which Ill post tomorrow morning for Karrots Weekly update. On the actual post itself Ill just post the facts/stats, with no opinion. However my thoughts on it are, there is no wonder its on its way out the door. Very risky investment. With a huge majority failing to cover costs.

I don't see a future. 

Edited by karrotsishere

2 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Oh dear this doesn't sound good. Have not watched any racing this weekend. So not sure what happened either as Lightning said. However I have done some research on some stats, which Ill post tomorrow morning for Karrots Weekly update. On the actual post itself Ill just post the facts/stats, with no opinion. However my thoughts on it are, there is no wonder its on its way out the door. Very risky investment. With a huge majority failing to cover costs.

I don't see a future. 

I think it is about 7% of horses in training pay their way. It has been that way ever since I have been involved for the last 48 years. I choose to race horses, so am only accountable to myself.

However, money can not buy the feeling of being an owner winning a race.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Double R said:

Some more trivial information.

Back in 1973 when I got my first share in a horse, I was earning $34 a week, and my 10th share weekly payment was $3, which covered everything.  Now days, it is about $3 plus an hour.

I can only ever justify small percentages of ownership Robert but it doesn't matter if you own 1% or 100% the thrill is real.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Double R said:

Some more trivial information.

Back in 1973 when I got my first share in a horse, I was earning $34 a week, and my 10th share weekly payment was $3, which covered everything.  Now days, it is about $3 plus an hour.

Lol. Back in 1973 I was in Sydney and my first job was brickies labourer. $40 a day, and the brickies got $100 a day for a good face hand. I was a weak 19 yr old and didnt last long at it. But boy the wages got spent real quick at Harold Park every Frid night.:classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

Race 7 the Junior drivers at Mot , is showing as 'abandoned' on the TAB site here, so won't see any replay at all.

I guess something happened in that race that you are talking about Happy?? what happened?

Ben Hope got tipped out down the back which resulted in a loose horse. Half the field basically semi (semi being the operative word) pulled up and a driver had the loose horse. The drivers at the front were not sure what was happening so kept going, then the clerk of the course took over the driverless horse at the top of the straight and...they start racing again. I am all for safety and I hope Ben is fine but bugger me.

It is a trend for drivers over recent times to take matters into their own hands and make decisions about whether the race continues. I am of the understanding it is the stipes only who can do that. Bit like the random people running onto the track to catch loose horses when they have no business too.

The starts have been awful over the weekend too. Race 4 today was a joke. Shake my head.

HRNZ can f**k around with a code of conduct (which on the face of it is a joke) but they need to sort the basics of harness racing out or no one will bet on it.

Oh, and get that inquiry into Mexicana going and do your job HRNZ. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

The starts have been awful over the weekend too. Race 4 today was a joke. Shake my head.

HRNZ can f**k around with a code of conduct (which on the face of it is a joke) but they need to sort the basics of harness racing out or no one will bet on it.

Oh, and get that inquiry into Mexicana going and do your job HRNZ. 

Do like how you are not afraid to bring up topics that maybe slightly controversial. Lets shut our eyes, block our ears sing lalala as if its not happening goes those that don't like the message. 

Not Listening Rachael Ray GIF by ABC Network

27 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:
3 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

Ben Hope got tipped out down the back which resulted in a loose horse. Half the field basically semi (semi being the operative word) pulled up and a driver had the loose horse. The drivers at the front were not sure what was happening so kept going, then the clerk of the course took over the driverless horse at the top of the straight and...they start racing again. I am all for safety and I hope Ben is fine but bugger me.

It is a trend for drivers over recent times to take matters into their own hands and make decisions about whether the race continues. I am of the understanding it is the stipes only who can do that. Bit like the random people running onto the track to catch loose horses when they have no business too.

The starts have been awful over the weekend too. Race 4 today was a joke.

Thanks Happy for that report. Sounds like fun times at the Mot. Had a look at race 4 start. That was awful start no doubt. 

See Ben Hope was driving in race 10 , so must of been ok from the tumble , so that's good .!!! was watching Youtube of Sam Ottley interview (quite a long one from 2018) where she got a bad injury on the grass, as horse 'slipped' over , turning for home and sent 4 or five of them flying in all directions once. very spectacular. 

1 hour ago, karrotsishere said:

Do like how you are not afraid to bring up topics that maybe slightly controversial.

I don't view any of what I bring up controversial 😁

I can't stand the rah rah crap dished up by the Box Seat nor HRNZ playing dumb.

I would really like to know how Mexicana can rear and fall to the ground twice, and die on the second time. In what circumstances can that occur? The powers that be will pay no attention to it all and just allow everyone to forget about it as they always do.

Edited by Happy Sunrise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lightning Blue said:

That was awful start no doubt. 

several late scratchings because of it so deductions to punters who win.

2 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

was watching Youtube of Sam Ottley interview (quite a long one from 2018) where she got a bad injury on the grass, as horse 'slipped' over , turning for home and sent 4 or five of them flying in all directions once. very spectacular. 

Was that at Methven on the home bend? I believe Natalie Rasmussen was the other one involved in that if it was. It was a shocker. They were attended to for ages on the track. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I don't view any of what I bring up controversial 😁

Happy posts about other site lol

Happy says fun Copy That movie with someone included would make it like 50 shades of grey lol.

Happy starts a thread on Bensons Mate

Happy starts a thread titled Harness Racing - needs to sort shit out.

Nothing, no repute, nothing lol.

(Other than as a collective were all told to post facts re Bensons mate thread - which is fair enuff).

Me on other hand

Don’t think I particularly do either. Try to keep a balance.

But

I post querying if a poster has come across from another site, I get hit up about it.

I post about something I read on a Harness journo news site, I get told to contact the people.

I post replying to someone elses thread with info Iv found to help them out & I get told to call HRNZ.

I post with a simple matter of fact view based on today, with every chance to change view should things change, after doing some research I get told of someones personal reasons why they own a horse.

I can't seem to win lol. But you lol.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Was that at Methven on the home bend? I believe Natalie Rasmussen was the other one involved in that if it was. It was a shocker. They were attended to for ages on the track. 

yes ! that's the one Happy. The Interview was by Greg with Sam O and Mark Jones etc for about an hour called OFF THE TRACK - Sam Ottley....Loved it ! thoroughly recommended !! Greg is very polite and knowledgeable. not sure why he cops flack.

Here's a pic from the Methven crash played during that presentation . Sam got broken vertabrae. Yes ! it was Nat up front , who's horse just slipped like on a banana peel as they turned for home. Sam recovered after a few weeks and has gone on to great achievements. doing very well.

DSC02544.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

But

I post querying if a poster has come across from another site, I get hit up about it.

I post about something I read on a Harness journo news site, I get told to contact the people.

I post replying to someone elses thread with info Iv found to help them out & I get told to call HRNZ.

I post with a simple matter of fact view based on today, with every chance to change view should things change, after doing some research I get told of someones personal reasons why they own a horse.

The way you are going you might be the leading character in the next bible that is written.

10 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Happy says fun Copy That movie with someone included would make it like 50 shades of grey lol.

The old boys on here like that sort of thing...

10 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Happy starts a thread on Bensons Mate

Can't say much more about it.

12 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Happy starts a thread titled Harness Racing - needs to sort shit out.

They do, instead of having their heads in the sand at the beach.

13 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Happy posts about other site lol

Did I though?

14 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

I have had a very poor week punting so would rather lose on here than at the TAB so you are not too badly off Bugsy.

4 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

He is indeed. But he is a sycophant (along with Guerin) to the harness racing industry. That is how they earn their way so fair play to them but harness needs more than that for the sake of the game.

Sort of think you can't broadcast harness media and dwell on any of the 'complaints' that fill / overflow all these type of forums in Nz.

Rules change with Whips , and drugs limits etc, etc but best to keep that sort of thing 'in-house' and enforced by stewards.

Public 'Perception' On a lot of controversial Issues 'blurrs the lines' and just makes things UGLY. e.g vaccinations , lol...... well you know what i mean lol.....

If Greg and Mr Guerin harped on about Inca , or bad starters or poor steward decisions or any of the mountain of stuff we rabbit on about, it just continues the downward spiral for Harness racing. GOOD ON EM' for keeping a positive spin going IMO.

5 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

If Greg and Mr Guerin harped on about Inca , or bad starters or poor steward decisions or any of the mountain of stuff we rabbit on about, it just continues the downward spiral for Harness racing. GOOD ON EM' for keeping a positive spin going IMO.

That is true but they can speak carefully and constructively about issues in harness but they don't. They ignore it all so I have little respect for what they do on the Box Seat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

That is true but they can speak carefully and constructively about issues in harness but they don't. They ignore it all so I have little respect for what they do on the Box Seat.

That's a shame then. I only saw 2 Box seats (jewels edition and one other) and they seemed good as in excellent knowledge and Rapport with the countries leading horse-people.

Compared to a couple of trash columnists in Oz on Racenet that put forward opinion each week, and rubbish Tele hosts who think they are 'comedians' and on the 24 hour Oz racing channel, your blokes seem like a blessing . Still if you think they should be dealing with the 'issues' then I guess they should. 

I think the huge issue is the declining numbers in the North Island. should be 'work' done on that.